·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Been thinking of getting one of these to break up the ground for my food plot instead of my box blade. Would it be better or should I save my money?

CountyLine Middle Buster - For Life Out Here
I have used them to cut trenches to get water off small fields but for breaking up ground I'm a fan of a subsoiler. To me the subsoiler breaks up the ground deeper and is cleaner with less disturbance on the top.

Reactions: Levi

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,687 Posts
My uncle has one(not sure the brand) for his Kubota. He uses it to break hard ground first then go back through with his pto rototiller and do the fine breakdown.

I don't think I'd want to use one for large areas, maybe small food plots.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have used them to cut trenches to get water off small fields but for breaking up ground I'm a fan of a subsoiler. To me the subsoiler breaks up the ground deeper and is cleaner with less disturbance on the top.
Ditto on my experience as well. I've used both for food plots and like the subsoiler better for the reasons you describe. If you want A LOT of ground turned over (kind of like a plow) then use the middlebuster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Old Pa-pa
11,836 Posts
I have one with a really beefed up 3ph.
Can convert it from plow to subsoiler or to a cypress knee/root puller.

Have dug trenches a foot and a half deep with it, very handy if beefed up enough.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have one with a really beefed up 3ph.
Can convert it from plow to subsoiler or to a cypress knee/root puller.

Have dug trenches a foot and a half deep with it, very handy if beefed up enough.
Where is the pic of your cypress knee lamp? :dunno:

EVERYONE with cypress has a cypress knee lamp,,, :good2:

(At least in the 1960's,,, they had them,,,,) :laugh:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I have one, but have only used it once. It has very limited usage. Not a replacement for a tiller.

Dave

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Old Pa-pa
11,836 Posts
Where is the pic of your cypress knee lamp? :dunno:

EVERYONE with cypress has a cypress knee lamp,,, :good2:

(At least in the 1960's,,, they had them,,,,) :laugh:

Yup, just about everybody did when I was a kid, have to admit some of them were down right beautiful.

Got five cypress trees in my backyard, one 5 foot diameter at the base, soon as several knees break the surface, I rip them
out with my puller, back in the day, I would use an ax to keep them down. :banghead:

The ripper dives down under the knee, use the hydraulics to lift while pulling forward in grandma first, up they come.
My back thanks me for that little invention. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,753 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Been thinking of getting one of these to break up the ground for my food plot instead of my box blade. Would it be better or should I save my money?

If you have a box blade, your well on your way to having a small subsoiler...maybe my quick and easy subsoiler will give you some inspiration. It will break up the soil 6-8 inches deep, plenty for a food plot. I have only 1 tine/tooth but there's no reason you couldn't use 2 or 3 (other than power and soil type).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason I put this in the MCUT forum is because I wanted to know if my 4010 would pull it.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
9,753 Posts
MCUT? I don't think we are talking about the same 4010.... about 80hp, 7,000+ pounds...

The 4010 I'm thinking about would pull it and then some.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My uncle has one(not sure the brand) for his Kubota. He uses it to break hard ground first then go back through with his pto rototiller and do the fine breakdown.
I have that exact middle buster...the TSC County Line brand. I have been thinking about doing this...the past few years I have just used the tiller to get the garden ready. I have kind of wanted to get a one-bottom plow to turn the dirt over a bit more, but it seems to not be worth the cost. I am going to try to tear up the garden area with the middle buster this spring, then follow up with the tiller as described.

I use it to create furrows when planting the garden...for planting potatoes or started plants, it works well. Do a You Tube search for middle buster, and you will get several videos, including harvesting potatoes. I also use it to dig a trench around the garden to place a fence in (see pics) to keep the critters out of the garden.

may middlebuster1.jpg may middlebuster2.jpg may middlebuster3.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MCUT? I don't think we are talking about the same 4010.... about 80hp, 7,000+ pounds...

The 4010 I'm thinking about would pull it and then some.
Nope. My 4010 was built in 2003 and is 18.5hp.:mocking:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts

I have one but not the same brand. I use mine to dig potatoes when it's time to harvest them. Matter of fact that's why I bought it. I got tired of digging them with a shovel. That's all I've ever used it for. When I bought mine it was called a potato plow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You'll want to measure the unit. I was going to put one on my X738, but it was too tall to raise far enough for transit. I suspect your tractor is marginal to be able to pull it reliably.

If it does fit, you can pull off the moldboard and use it as a simple middle buster.

As an alternative, try the Heavy Hitch subsoiler/ripper. I use it on my 3-point hitch adapter and it works very well for deep break-up.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
You'll want to measure the unit. I was going to put one on my X738, but it was too tall to raise far enough for transit. I suspect your tractor is marginal to be able to pull it reliably.

If it does fit, you can pull off the moldboard and use it as a simple middle buster.

As an alternative, try the Heavy Hitch subsoiler/ripper. I use it on my 3-point hitch adapter and it works very well for deep break-up.
This isn't a problem. All you have to do to transport is take the center link off and tilt the moldboard out and up and bungee cord it in place. Yep, I got tired of making groves in the ground while in transport mode.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

I have that one but under another name sold by Murdochs' or Big R - can't remember which, and I've painted over any markings. I too use it for trenching and draining. Don't use it often but it works well when I do need it.

I would think there are better tools for your food plot work. A set of discs, maybe? I didn't catch what you are going to pull this with?

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have that one but under another name sold by Murdochs' or Big R - can't remember which, and I've painted over any markings. I too use it for trenching and draining. Don't use it often but it works well when I do need it.

I would think there are better tools for your food plot work. A set of discs, maybe? I didn't catch what you are going to pull this with?
JD 4010, the little one.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55
1 - 20 of 26 Posts