Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a deep dislike for grease guns in general. Do not have much luck with them and it seems they are always a pain to refill and even if things go right are a mess to deal with. That being said I will be taking excellent care of my 2018 2025R so will be putting up with using a grease gun dedicated to the tractor.
The Air-Tec Lube Shuttle seems like a user friendly system so am wondering if anyone uses it. The grease canister is unique to the Lube Shuttle system so would have to use there grease. I imagine that there grease would be compatible to the 2025R but would have to do a bit of research on that. Thanks

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
I have a deep dislike for grease guns in general. Do not have much luck with them and it seems they are always a pain to refill and even if things go right are a mess to deal with. That being said I will be taking excellent care of my 2018 2025R so will be putting up with using a grease gun dedicated to the tractor.
The Air-Tec Lube Shuttle seems like a user friendly system so am wondering if anyone uses it. The grease canister is unique to the Lube Shuttle system so would have to use there grease. I imagine that there grease would be compatible to the 2025R but would have to do a bit of research on that. Thanks
:dunno:never heard of this kind of grease gun before. u got any pics or info of it??

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
I saw Tractor Mike pushing this unit. The bold item above is the main reason I would stay away from this unit. Since it takes a proprietary grease tube the selection of grease is very limited and you can only get it from one source. I would stick to the grease that is recommended for your tractor. Most of us use the JD SD Polyurea which is very inexpensive and readily available anywhere.

Grease guns that take a 14 oz. cartridge have been around for half a century. I'll admit they can be a bit messy but I've never had an issue changing cartridges. Just buy a decent quality gun that has a spring loaded vent button and you won't have any problems.

And if you want to make greasing a mess free pleasure, put a Lock 'N Lube coupler on whatever grease gun you buy. You will look FORWARD to greasing your tractor - I promise.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the lock and lube coupler on a dewalt grease gun. Has turned a dreaded task into a somewhat fun one. No mess. Easy to do by yourself. I’ve never seen that grease gun before but if they quit making the grease tubes for it your stuck with an expensive paperweight. I would look at ones that take a common grease tube. Just my opinion. My wife thought the $200 dewalt grease gun was most ridiculous thing ever but then she remembered its for a 20k lawnmower. We like what we like. Lol. I’m always on the hunt for a “better mousetrap” to make lifes chores a little easier and more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
I will throw out a few more recommendations. JD offers two grease guns, one lever and one pistol grip. I'm not just recommending these as a JD fanboy. I have one of each of these. Obviously JD doesn't make them but they are very well built grease guns. They are 10,000 PSI and 7,500 PSI respectively and they have spring loaded relief valves to eliminate priming problems. They are also very competitively priced.

[h=1]Heavy-duty silver grease guns[/h][h=2]Lever action gun (TY26288)[/h][h=3]Features:[/h]· Develops 10,000 PSI
· Lever action with rubber grip
· 3-way loading, 14-oz. cartridge, 16-oz. Suction, or bulk filling
· Bulk loader fitting standard
· Rigid extension and heavy-duty coupler
· Air bleeder valve standard
· Automatic variable stroke
· Lightweight and strong- results in less customer fatigue
· 1-year warranty

[h=1][/h]Lever action gun (TY26288)

[h=2]Pistol-grip gun (TY26689)[/h][h=3]Features:[/h]· Unique dual-leverage design allows choice between high-pressure or high-volume output
· Develops 7,500 PSI
· Ergonomic rugged cast aluminum handle
· Rigid extension and coupler standard
· 18-in. whip hose and coupler standard
· 3-way loading
· Air bleeder valve standard
· Heavy-duty follower spring to maintain prime
· 1-year warranty

Pistol-grip gun (TY26689)

Now... I've already recommended the Lock 'N Lube coupler and there a couple other things that will make your greasing chores painless and on the verge of pleasurable.

[h=1]Flexzilla Grease Hose with Spring Guard 36 in. x 1/8 in. - L2965FZSP[/h]

This will give you long reach to get to any zerk while keeping the grease gun out in the clear where it is easy to operate. The hose is super flexible like a wet noodle and handles 10,000 PSI

If you have problems with the grease dripping out the bottom of the gun in hot weather, Lock 'N Lube offers a GunDom cover that eliminates the mess. Yes, it looks silly but it WORKS! The $9.95 kit also comes with a little rubber cover for your grease coupler which further reduces the mess.

You can thank me later. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
I have the lock and lube coupler on a dewalt grease gun. Has turned a dreaded task into a somewhat fun one. No mess. Easy to do by yourself. I’ve never seen that grease gun before but if they quit making the grease tubes for it your stuck with an expensive paperweight. I would look at ones that take a common grease tube. Just my opinion. My wife thought the $200 dewalt grease gun was most ridiculous thing ever but then she remembered its for a 20k lawnmower. We like what we like. Lol. I’m always on the hunt for a “better mousetrap” to make lifes chores a little easier and more fun.
The problem with a Lock 'N Lube on a cordless grease gun is it makes greasing very enjoyable but you'll quickly have all of your own equipment greased and you will be tempted to roam the neighborhood looking for zerks!

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
I HAVE THE Milwaukee m18 grease gun and both the short and long loc-n-lube tips. The grease gun is a blast. I gave my 2 year old Lincoln Air powered gun to my son.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advise and tips. Stopped at my JD dealer today and picked up some tubes of the JD Polyurea grease. I asked a parts counter guy who seems to know his stuff what I could used on tractor and rotary cutter and thats what he recommended. I picked up a brochure on the way out about the JD grease guns which I see are available in green so thinking I want one of those...….especially if I can get a yellow GunDom and a yellow Flexzilla grease hose...….talk about a JD dedicated grease gun!

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Thanks for all the advise and tips. Stopped at my JD dealer today and picked up some tubes of the JD Polyurea grease. I asked a parts counter guy who seems to know his stuff what I could used on tractor and rotary cutter and thats what he recommended. I picked up a brochure on the way out about the JD grease guns which I see are available in green so thinking I want one of those...….especially if I can get a yellow GunDom and a yellow Flexzilla grease hose...….talk about a JD dedicated grease gun!
Be sure to check the specifications before purchasing. I don't think the black and green guns are the same as the silver guns. The silver guns and part numbers I show above are described as heavy duty and are built different. They are also higher pressure. I think you'll find that the black/green ones are less expensive which should tell you something. I'm not saying the colored ones are junk, they just aren't built like the silver ones.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The Lube Shuttle guys sent me a gun and some tubes of grease for a sample.
This company is based in Germany.

I really like the approach. Much less mess. The grease gun is totally different. The steel ‘tube’ is just a protective cover for the plastic tube, not required for the functionality.
They say that this approach for grease tube attachment is common in Europe.

Yes, you must use the grease from the company. (Or Tractor Mike’s site).

One advantage is that you can change from one type of grease to another without fully emptying the tubes. They have screw on caps which allow you to re-seal a partially used tube.

They have 3 types of guns. Long lever, pistol grip, and battery powered.

So far, other than the samples, I have no relationship with the company.

If you guys think it would be valuable, I could sell these through my website.

Let me know if interested.

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Yes, you must use the grease from the company. (Or Tractor Mike’s site).
The Germans usually build pretty decent stuff but that right there is the deal killer on this product. The grease guns they sell are lower pressure than a lot of other guns that are available.

I suspect their next product will be a Mack-Daddy super accurate air pressure gauge that only works with their proprietary valve stems. :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The Germans usually build pretty decent stuff but that right there is the deal killer on this product. The grease guns they sell are lower pressure than a lot of other guns that are available.
The manufacturer says that this screw on tube style is quite popular in Europe, with many manufacturers making compatible tubes. Would be interesting to hear from our friends across the Atlantic. Is this true?

I noticed significantly different pressure ratings on the 3 guns. The lever action has much higher pressure than the pistol grip.
I have the pistol grip. I have not had any issue with it.

Change is a good thing. The standard tube/cartridge grease approach is horrible. I'm surprised anyone would defend it. The only defense is that it is 'standard' here in the US.
Wouldn't it be nice to move to an approach with screw-on, no leak, no mess grease tubes?

THIS is what has me intrigued about this product. I'd LOVE to have a better grease gun solution. ...SOMEONE has to be first, right?

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Change is a good thing. The standard tube/cartridge grease approach is horrible. I'm surprised anyone would defend it. The only defense is that it is 'standard' here in the US.
Wouldn't it be nice to move to an approach with screw-on, no leak, no mess grease tubes?

THIS is what has me intrigued about this product. I'd LOVE to have a better grease gun solution. ...SOMEONE has to be first, right?
I agree completely. It would be wonderful to have a leak proof grease gun. But I feel that unless Air-Tec gets a license to start packaging grease from Deere, Kubota, New Holland, Case and some of the other big names it will probably remain a niche product. The one exception would be if they were to come up with some formulation of super-duper synthetic grease that was truly hands down far superior to any other grease on the market folks would buy the new gun just to have access to the grease.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Tim,
which grease from lube shuttle are you using on your tractors?

·
Registered
151 Posts

I have one and love it. I use the black moly grease with a long lock-n-lube tip.

rob

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Tim,
which grease from lube shuttle are you using on your tractors?
Watch this episode. You’ll learn MUCH about grease!

Lithium? Calcium? Moly? Expert Explains! 2032R/2038R Greazing

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
Air-Tec's proprietary grease cartridges are going to be a non-starter for a lot of people; although I do like the idea of the threaded cartridges that can be easily changed out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a lube shuttle last summer and also the lock and lube coupler. I like it much better than the grease guns I was using. I use the lube shuttle grease but I think I remember seeing that someone sells empty lube shuttle tubes that you can fill with the grease of your choice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts