Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2018 1025r with just over 100 hours. A few weeks back I noticed a small oil spot under my tractor. It appeared to be leaking at the bottom to the rear transmission at the seal (only spot that looked wet). Of course I wiped it dry, check the fluid which was good, and did my chores. Next day, noticed the spot back on the concreate. I had my dealer take a look and sure enough they think it's a bad seal. Here's the kicker. They wanted $1,400 labor plus parts and supplies to remove the transmission and fix. My until is not under warranty so hence my question. Has anyone used a transmission stop leak product successfully in a 1025r?

·
Registered
26,415 Posts
If you want to pay your dealer $3k or $4k instead of $1400 go ahead and put some stop leak in it.

·
Administrator
20,886 Posts
I wouldn't use any "magic" solutions either, but I am curious why it is not under the powertrain warranty?

Reactions: flyweight and kylew

·
Administrator
21,680 Posts
Do not use any stop leak products in your tractor. It will gunk up things not meant to be gunked up. Who knows what kind of damage it could do.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
I too wonder why it isn't covered under warranty? Isn't the powertrain warranty 6yrs/2000 hrs now?

And to clarify, IF one were to use a 'fix in a bottle', it wouldn't be transmission stop leak, rather hydraulic oil stop leak. The 1025 is filled with 3-1/2 gallons of hydraulic oil. And it's the same oil that goes to your steering valve and cylinder, and your front end loaders cylinders, and your mower lift cylinder if equipped, and your power beyond ports if equipped.

I'm not advocating one way or the other whether you use hydraulic stop leak in your system. Just be aware it isn't going to just stay in your transmission. It's going to circulate through everything mentioned above. If there were a misfortune event, it could cause failure(s) in other parts besides just the transmission.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I never had any luck with any of the stop leaks in cars. They usually caused more problems. Best to fix it right. I agree, I think the powertrain warranty should cover it. With that little time on it, perhaps pushing a manufacturing defect, maybe a burr on the shaft, would help if they get stubborn. Demand a whole new tranny. Call me obnoxious (many do) but I think I would like to watch them fix it just to make sure they do it right. There goes my car experience again.

Reactions: keane and flyweight

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,626 Posts
Dieselshadow is not my hero, but what he said is true.?
What Kenny and others said is also true. Stop leak in that trans will totally screw it up.

·
Administrator
20,886 Posts
How many hours?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
So if you bought it in January of 2017, it would have to be a 2017, but you said 2018.
Are you sure on the dates?
Im not positive, but I believe they changed the length of the warranty at some point, maybe 2018. I know my 2018 has a 6 year powertrain warranty.
Even if it were JUST out of warranty, they should have contacted Deere about it.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
41 Posts
Personally, I LOVE those garbage products.

Truck/Tractor/Machine will come in, diagnosis will be made, estimate given.

85% will go ahead with proper repair with warranty. Remainder will try some "additive"

Remainder returns with further issues. ALWAYS more expensive repairs. I had a truck so packed with coolant stop leak, to keep a cavitated liner from leaking into crankcase, it overheated #6 and broke the liner in half. Almost made a window in the block. Don't do it kids. You've already drawn the short straw, cut losses and take it on the chin.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I guess I'll have to open up the wallet...
Why..?

Let it drip..Oil is cheap enough.

I'm in the same boat over a front pto shaft seal......3 yrs later and less than a gallon of oil.
I'm thousands ahead already.

Cardboard or a pie pan fixs the stain.

Yomv

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
So if you bought it in January of 2017, it would have to be a 2017, but you said 2018.
Not necessarily. It could have been produced many months prior to sale. But, warranty starts on day of sale (or sometimes delivery) not by date of manufacture.

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
Why..?

Let it drip..Oil is cheap enough.

I'm in the same boat over a front pto shaft seal......3 yrs later and less than a gallon of oil.
I'm thousands ahead already.

Cardboard or a pie pan fixs the stain.

Yomv
They used to always say old tractors drip oil to mark their territory. Both my old Ford N-series tractors had drips from various locations.

But... if my 2720 developed any leaks I would probably get all anal about it. ?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I know trans stop leak will destroy any Chrysler made transmission I have seen it numerous times people come in with a leak then a few weeks later come back for a new transmission :confused: and admitted to using that junk I would check your paper work I believe my 2016 2032r came with a 6 yr powertrain warranty (y)

Reactions: BigJim55 and Kennyd

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
I know trans stop leak will destroy any Chrysler made transmission I have seen it numerous times people come in with a leak then a few weeks later come back for a new transmission :confused: and admitted to using that junk I would check your paper work I believe my 2016 2032r came with a 6 yr powertrain warranty (y)
I found this in the archives:

"The 6-year/2,000 hour warranty was new for 2016. Deere introduced it in the spring of 2016 and made it retroactive to the beginning of the year."

·
Registered
140 Posts
If I were the OP I would be headed back to the dealership and have a nice discussion about the warranty. I hope things work out for you.

Reactions: kylew and farmer52
1 - 20 of 42 Posts