Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve e been using a static phase converter to run a 220V 3PH lathe for years. No problem with that. Now I have another Bridgeport mill to hook up and I am learning that we now have variable frequency drives that not only let you adjust the motor speed (within certain parameters) but these VFDs will also act as phase converters AND (this is the part that blows my mind) will produce 220V 3PH output from 110V 1PH input.

Assuming you use the correct size VFD (in my case a 1HP motor on the Bridgeport) are there any downsides to using this 110V 1PH in / 220 3PH out device?

I was recommended a Lenze VFD.

(It all sounds too good to be true.)

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I’ve e been using a static phase converter to run a 220V 3PH lathe for years. No problem with that. Now I have another Bridgeport mill to hook up and I am learning that we now have variable frequency drives that not only let you adjust the motor speed (within certain parameters) but these VFDs will also act as phase converters AND (this is the part that blows my mind) will produce 220V 3PH output from 110V 1PH input.

Assuming you use the correct size VFD (in my case a 1HP motor on the Bridgeport) are there any downsides to using this 110V 1PH in / 220 3PH out device?

I don't have 3 phase, or a VFD (yet), but I've been doing a lot of reading about them as they pertain to brewing. They come into play for pumps as well as the motor controls for the rakes and plows in the kettles.

The guys that use the digital/solid state VFD's for transfer pumps in the brewery are really happy with them. It allows them to use good old 110v yet still have variable speed control of the pump. Lenze is a name i've heard spoke of in a positive light.

-J.

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts

I guess it depends on if the variable speed is important. The solid-state converters work fine but the Bridgeport motor will only produce two thirds of its stated horsepower. I have a rotary five horse which is basically a 5 hp three-phase motor with capacitor's so will start on single phase incoming. But the output is a full five horsepower.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I run this drill press off a 220 1PH to 220 3PH converter.

It works great, and I can set any speed at the touch of a button.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts

Hiya,

Yup, I run my step pulley on a VFD plugged into a 110v 20A circuit, it works perfect. No real draw backs other than you can't do instant reverse like you can on a direct wired 3PH machine.

I use a GS2-11p0 from Automation Direct on the Bridgeport and a GS2-23p0 on the Southbend.

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
I use a VFD on my Bridgeport mill, Clausing lathe, and belt grinder, would do it any other way!

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
I use a VFD on my Bridgeport mill, Clausing lathe, and belt grinder, would do it any other way!
Are they a 110v single phase step up to 230v 3 phase?

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
The ones I have seen have always been to 220 single phase in. 220 phase out in both the solid-state and the rotary motor. Sounds like this VFD device could be 110 single phase in.:dunno:

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I run VFD's on my machines. You don't need to use the variable frequencies to alter the motor speed at all, and it's actually easier on the motors if you don't. I just use the soft start and regenerative braking features and have the drives configured to run 60Hz just like 3PH line power would be if it were plugged into the grid. My on/off and forward/reverse switches are wired into the control circuits on the VFD's instead of wired to the power wires to the motors, and the end result is that they work just like they would if you'd plugged it into a 3Ph outlet.

Rotary phase converters are not rated for full nameplate horsepower. You're only dealing with 2 out of three legs, and the two you have aren't phased properly for the windings in a 3ph motor, so you have 2 legs at 180 instead of 3 at 120 degrees. No matter how hard you jack up that generated leg you aren't going to get true 3Ph power out of those windings. Just ain't possible!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 220 volt single phase to 220 volt 3 phase VFD converter running a Dewalt radial arm saw. I'm very happy with the way it works. The saw cuts fantastic and it has the soft start and braking as a bonus.
Ron

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If you did get a 110 volt 1PH to 220 volt 3 PH VFD,,,,
it would not be of much use.

The maximum watts you have to deal with is about 1,800,,,

With no loss,, the max HP would be about 1.5,,:dunno:

That will not drill much of a hole,,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Need to check this VFD out. Nice info!
There was a guy selling 1 ph motor kit to retrofit Bridgeport Mill motors on ebay several years ago. About 350$ if I recall

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
You don't want a single phase motor on a mill if you can avoid it. They're not even close to the same torque for rated HP as 3ph.
This...plus you give up the almost infinitely adjustable speed.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
The ones I have seen have always been to 220 single phase in. 220 phase out in both the solid-state and the rotary motor. Sounds like this VFD device could be 110 single phase in.:dunno:
I think in the brewery world there are 110v 1PH to 3PH 220V VFD's....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts