Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Looking for input and recommendations on a (logging) winch for my older style 2032R. I know it isn't a huge tractor and doesn't have weight to be pulling eight trees at once. I have some tight hard/soft wood mix that needs some thinning and I'm thinking that a winch would be a wonderful addition to make the task manageable and fun.

I was hoping someone on here would have one in use; or have used one on theirs and be able to give some insight.

I am not married to a particular brand; but, I know Wallenstein is in the space and they have a solid reputation. I'm willing to pay a smidge extra for quality. Anything you all have to say is greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Are you looking for a 3PH skidding winch in particular, or just a regular one?

Farmi has the skidding winch market all but locked up, they do make a smaller one: Tractor Mounted Winches - Farmiwinch.com

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Wish list

Are you looking for a 3PH skidding winch in particular, or just a regular one?

Farmi has the skidding winch market all but locked up, they do make a smaller one: Tractor Mounted Winches - Farmiwinch.com
One of those is on my wish list. I'm really surprised they have the protective screens as an accessory instead of including them with every winch. I'll bet 99% of the owners operate the winch from the seat at some point or another and really should have the screen.

Treefarmer

Reactions: vtlmbrjack

·
Registered
24 Posts
2025R Winch

Just a thought,
I've modified my 2025R for work on USFS 50" ATV trails for my club, WSATVA.
See the attached photo showing a 3 point trailer mover i set up with 2" receivers to mount ripper shanks.
Added one more front and back for 2500# Superwinch.
might work for you.
John Hesslink

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kenny - Yes I am looking for a 3 pt skidding winch in particular; not a normal winch. I will add Farmi to the list! Unfortunately for me I live in the north end of nowhere Vermont so I will probably have to do some online research to compare pricing with local dealers.

Treefarmer - I don't particularly like having to add the screen as an accessory either. There will be places where I will end up that I probably will have to dismount the screen for a short time until I can make the terrain work; but, for the most part I want the peace of mind of the screen in place.

John - That set up looks awesome! I'm not very talented with fabrication so by the time I pay a welding outfit to manufacture something for me I will probably be 60-70% of the way to a new skidding winch.

Thanks for the input thus far and keep it coming!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’ll be adding a forestry winch to my 2025R in the next year as I do some timber management. I’ve attached a few photos from a recent forestry show I attended. One other brand to consider is Woodland Mills out of Canada. I have their ATV trailer and can’t say enough about how handy that’s been. I would definitely add them to your list to look into...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Farmi looks really nice; just having trouble finding a dealer. Labonville Forestry isn't too far away from me and they have free shipping. They sell the Norse line of skidding winches; and from what I can tell they're damn near identical to the Igland you posted. They both look nice. I will look up the Woodland Mills offerings and see if anywhere close can get their hands on them. I would like to be able to view and get my hands on one before I decided.

Farmi seems like the top of the price range from what little I can find online. I won't be using it to make a living or even once a month. Probably a few days in the fall to skid some trees out and thin some woods so I don't necessarily need to go all in from the checkbook standpoint. I'm already resigned to the fact that I'll be spending an extra 300-400 dollars for a self releasing snatch block so I can keep my small tractor straight on the pull and not tip over.

Thanks for the suggestions; you guys are pointing me in all the right directions!

I think there are a couple of Wallenstein 'dealers' near me as well so I'll have to swing in and see if they even have any of their winches around.

·
Registered
67 Posts
vtlmbrjack,

Checkout Dads 4 by in St J, That's where I got my Igland winch. The owner is whom I dealt with and is a big John Deere fan of the old Two cylinders. He even through in an extra choker and t shirt with the purchase. The Norse is made by Igland so it's the same winch. I see he sells Fransgard also, I have a pull behind snow blower that is a Fransgard and it is very well built. I would think they would have a winch for a 2 series tractor or get one in. The Igland is a beast and easy to get parts for (I've not broke anything but a friend of mine did). Good luck with your purchase.

jrob730

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
I welded a 2" receiver box onto the swinging drawbar on my 2032R and mounted a SuperWinch 3,500lb winch using that. Works like a champ and it's down nice and low below the rear axle for stability when I'm dragging a log.

I still need to rig up a 2" receiver box on the front end of my tractor so I can mount it out front if I want to as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JRob - I actually just called down there yesterday. They have a pretty good deal going on the Fransgard offerings. 300 off; four chokers, and a chainsaw holder. You have to wait for two chokers and saw scabbard; mail in rebate of some form but the money off is instant; promotion is on through the end of the year. I like their smaller one. I believe I talked to the owner. I told him I was between the two sizes as far as hp goes. Was leaning towards the larger in case I move up tractors down the line. He told me the internal parts were all identical between the two and it really wouldn't do the tractor any favors to have the larger one on it. That is a pretty good start in my book by not trying to upsell me. I didn't realize he had Igland there as well. There is another outfit in the same town that has Igland so when I go on a sightseeing trip I'll be able to check them both out and work price a little bit. A family friend has the smallest Igland and loves it; I don't like that you don't have an upper pulley option on it and for similar pricing I think I'm leaning Fransgard. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jim - That's an idea my dad had as well. I wasn't sure how well it would work but I shouldn't have doubted it. I'll be examining some budget issues and see what I can work in. I like it as a back up plan.

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
Jim - That's an idea my dad had as well. I wasn't sure how well it would work but I shouldn't have doubted it. I'll be examining some budget issues and see what I can work in. I like it as a back up plan.

It works well for hauling logs on occasion. If you are going to be doing that all the time, then I'd suggest something purpose-built for that (i.e. an actual skidding winch setup).

I couldn't justify that sort of expense for the 20-30 logs I drag out of the woods each year. I originally got my winch because I was more concerned with getting hung up on rocks/logs in the woods and wanted a way to get myself unstuck. Being able to use it to haul logs was a secondary benefit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
From my old Jeep days, Milemarker Winches make a few models that are hydraulic. I wonder how hard it would be to hook up one to work off rear scv system ?

milemarker.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Log Arch

An alternative to skidding logs could be using a log arch. I built one several years ago after my nephew purchased a band saw sawmill and I could get better logs cut into lumber instead of the usual firewood. Dirt in the bark is even harder on band saw blades than chainsaw chains!!

The arch has a capacity of hauling a log 30"dia. x 12 ft long and about 2000lbs.
1-100_5911.JPG

I use a chain come-along to lift the log into the arch.
1-100_5912.JPG

Then I use the log arch to assist in loading the trailer.

1-100_5916.JPG
1-100_5918.JPG

The log in the photos is a white oak log approx. 28" in diameter at the butt end and 100" long and could weigh more than 1500lbs.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Want to build another?

An alternative to skidding logs could be using a log arch. I built one several years ago after my nephew purchased a band saw sawmill and I could get better logs cut into lumber instead of the usual firewood. Dirt in the bark is even harder on band saw blades than chainsaw chains!!

The arch has a capacity of hauling a log 30"dia. x 12 ft long and about 2000lbs.
View attachment 470106

I use a chain come-along to lift the log into the arch.
View attachment 470114

Then I use the log arch to assist in loading the trailer.

View attachment 470122
View attachment 470130

The log in the photos is a white oak log approx. 28" in diameter at the butt end and 100" long and could weigh more than 1500lbs.
LOL, if you want to build another one I'd be interested. I think I'd put bigger wheels on it though.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nebraska - That thing is impressive! Unfortunately there isn't much room right now on my property to maneuver something like that around. I don't have the old growth timber that would hit 30 inches in diameter either. Probably 24 is about the max; most of those I am planning on leaving right where they are. Loads of softwood mixed in with some nice hardwood. I would like to be able to thin things out and in order to do that I'm going to need some cable length to drag it to my 'road' and haul it out. I've never seen one of those before but what an awesome idea. With room to maneuver that thing looks like an animal; and as you mentioned, no dirt in the bark is easier on everyone's equipment and a time saver for not needing maintenance as often. I had never even heard of such a thing.

Side note; I went to Dad's 4 By as suggested earlier in the thread. They have both Igland and Fransgard on hand. Fransgard being the more expensive option. I found the Igland to have an offset PTO connection which I don't particularly care for. I won't be hauling a trailer behind me so the offset to have access to the draw bar isn't attractive to me at this point. The Fransgard looks really nice; quality is very similar on both of them. Final note; the Igland forces you to use the adjustable lower pulley. You can't pull off the top pulley alone; or I guess you could but they explicitly instruct you not to. The Fransgard you can pull off of either and both pulleys swivel which I think is a smart design feature just in case. Saves bending hard parts as long as you're greased up.

Trying to decide on a pulley block as well; I have seen the new self releasing but damn they're expensive! Anyone have suggestions or experience?

Thanks again all; what a great community we have here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
vtlmbrjack, My neighbor has a winch (don't remember the brand) but he has a hitch that goes on the log side of the winch to hitch a trailer to. This might be handy for you but this is not an option for my Igland 4501. The self releasing block option is at TSC, it's a snatch block that the halfs rotate to set the cable in then rotate back and hitch with a strap and clevis to a tree. I little walking back and forth but helps with the angle pulls. I mostly pull more or less straight on so I do not use mine much! Hope this helps?

Jrob730

·
Registered
49 Posts
Log Arch

vtlmbrjack; Thanks for the positive comments on the log arch. The log arch has been used with horses since before motorized skidding equipment. It can also be used to skid log(s) by attaching a choker to one end and raising the log, less dirt and easier to skid. Some owners even use it to snatch and drag logs out of the brush with an attached power winch to where it is easier to use the arch to haul the log. Google "log arch" to see much more. Also search "skidding arch"

Treefarmer; Thanks for the offer, but ........... When it was being planned, our deer hunting group brainstormed this project to keep costs to a minimum. My cousin provided the 4" I-beam and the 6" channel, my brother provided the tongue, ball hitch, and the hubs, wheels and tires from his rusted out snowmobile trailer, and I provided the design based on the materials available, the pipe, new stub axels and bearings, 3/4 ton come-along and misc. material. I also provided the labor to fabricate and assemble the unit. If I used it more frequently, larger wheels would improve maneuverability. The size of this log arch was based on the maximum diameter my nephew's sawmill will cut and the length I can haul with my utility trailer. There is also the safety issue of the weight that could be hauled. A maximum size log (30"x 12ft) could weigh a minimum 2800lbs plus the log arch and you have a load on wheels with no brakes,that out weighs my 2520 with me on it. It could get questionable on a down hill section!!!

Reactions: JimR

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JRob - I will check out TSC as we have one right nearby. The size winch that I?m looking at for my tractor is the size below when they start building in the 2 inch receiver tubes. Not a deal breaker for me. My tractor isn?t big enough to worry about the winch and a trailer of wood. One step at a time for me! Because of the lack of room currently on my property I think I will have to have a pulley block on occasion. It will help negate the size of my machine too if I have to pull at an angle. I don?t want to spend 300 and change on the Igland self releasing animal. I?ll probably grab a TSC special and when I want it I?ll have it.

Nebraska - I?ll look them up! My grandfather was around logging most of his younger life before the war. I never heard him talk about a log arch but they used sleds and mostly cut in the winter so gravity may have helped them haha. I?m still amazed at how simple yet effective old technology and ways of working remain today. Progress seems to forget some brilliant ways of doing things.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So. The results of my search are as follows. The checkbook is much lighter and I have a skidding winch. I went to Dads 4 By and took them up on their advertised deal for a Fransgard. I went up one size from the smallest; I felt that it had a much better blade profile to cover the back of my tractor. When I compared the weight of the two it was only an additional ~30 pounds if memory serves. It wasn't enough to scare me away. Everything fit right up beautifully with minimal effort on the hook up. When it engages you can't even hear it spinning. Very happy so far. I can't wait to get it into the woods once things firm up.

Side note; I also bought the Igland self releasing snatch block. Most places have it listed at 300 plus dollars. I found it for 200 and worked a tiny bit extra off as a package deal because I was buying the winch as well. I'm trying to attach some photos; if you don't see them you know I'm not smart enough to figure it out haha.

Winch 1.jpg

Winch 2.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
vtlmbrjack, How is your new winch working out? Looks great behind your Deere. My snow blower is a fransgard and is solid and very well built. Hopefully you will get many years of use out of it!

Jrob730

1 - 20 of 21 Posts