Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3025E
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I’m looking to make some upgrades on my outdoor power equipment this year. I’m looking at the Kombi KMA135r with a bed edger, power sweep, and string trimmer? I know the AP is more commercial line, any suggestions on battery or attachments? Does anyone have experience with the battery gear? Thank you

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Hey folks, I’m looking to make some upgrades on my outdoor power equipment this year. I’m looking at the Kombi KMA135r with a bed edger, power sweep, and string trimmer? I know the AP is more commercial line, any suggestions on battery or attachments? Does anyone have experience with the battery gear? Thank you
We show many of the AP products on our YouTube channel. Hopefully we provide useful info. We try to describe strengths and weaknesses.

We have recently showed the Kombi stuff you mentioned.

Tim

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have the HLA65 extended hedge trimmer with the old AP180 battery and am ready to buy a battery-powered string trimmer. The AP line is definitely what you want. AK stuff is for light use and the battery profiles are not interchangeable. I'll have to take a look at the new KMA135R Kombi motor. I don't like the 130R Kombi design that forces use of an external battery bag on your belt ($100) or a backpack (big $). I know why they did it, but there are times I think the umblical would get in the way. I hadn't seen the onboard battery version but I'm thrilled to hear about it.

I've been very pleased with Stihl battery life, but if you do serious work, plan on two batteries. (You may also need to apply dielectric grease to the battery contacts once in a while due to dirt buildup.) My usage isn't extreme, so I'm still considering Milwaukee as well. Customer reviews say their string trimmer head is much better and an entire M18 Quick-Lok set is a whole lot cheaper than the Stihl Kombi. I like Stihl durability and I already have one tool & battery. Tough decision...

Bottom line -- If you don't mind the cost, I think you'll be very happy with the Stihl items you listed. If you do, check out Milwaukee.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I have been gradually moving over to Milwaukee stuff as they are doing amazing things with their M18 Fuel tools. I have the string trimmer and it works great and I don't have to pull a rope or mix fuel. The only rope start I still have is my pressure washer.

Dave

Reactions: Jim316X748

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not able to comment on the battery itself, but I have a gas powered Kombi and I love that thing. One of my best tool purchases.

Reactions: Jdw1

·
Premium Member
15,953 Posts
Bottom line -- If you don't mind the cost, I think you'll be very happy with the Stihl items you listed. If you do, check out Milwaukee.
That's true. Stihl really didn't hold back when pricing their battery powered tools. Their gas equipment was always a tad expensive but the battery stuff is just obscenely over priced compared to other choices on the market. $700 for a 14-inch chainsaw with battery/charger... $660 for a battery push mower... as Joe would say "Come'on man!" :)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have the battery Kombi system and I love it! I have the power scythe and the blower, and i also use the AP batteries in my Stihl battery chainsaw.

I will say the batteries last much longer in attachments where it uses a burst of power for a short time frequently (the chainsaw and power scythe) than in something that runs constantly (the blower). I don't have the string trimmer yet, but suspect it would eat through the battery life like the blower does. The solutions are to run at level 1 or 2 of power and have two batteries.

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts
I have a weed eater and a blower with the AP batteries. Got the AP300 charger for it also. Expensive but worth it IMO. Looking at the hedge trimmer might grab one. Battery lasts pretty long. I got 2 acres and can weed eat all the fence lines, around all the trees and house in one battery charge with some left. Blower is pretty powerful and I love the lightweight of these guys. If your going to go the AP series, get a good charger and go atleast a semi pro tool. Don’t recall the exact model but I got the weed eater that is one down from pro. It has the variable speed tigger

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
3025E
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feed back fellas, I was thinking of going with the AP 300 or 300s batteries. I figure what the hell, spend the extra few bucks these will probably last 10 years easy just like my gas one.

Kbar, I'm hoping I can trim around the house, and trees with one or two batteries. Between the house, flower beds and trees it takes me about 45 minutes to complete the task (as long as I don't have to re-spool the twine on the trimmer) From what I read the trimmer usage is about 47 minutes per battery.

·
Premium Member
18,028 Posts
We just bought a Stihl RMA 510V mower. It has the AP300 battery and the AP300 charger. So far have only used the mower 2 times , and after doing the front yard 2 times the battery was down to 2 lights still lit. I've been impressed with the quality of the mower . I know not what you are buying but has one lever to adjust the mowing height of all 4 wheels.
Oh and mowing time for front lawn, apx 20 mins

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
From what I read the trimmer usage is about 47 minutes per battery.
That sounds about right to me using the power scythe. The blower last maybe 20-25 minutes, and I believe the string trimmer would probably be about like the blower, maybe slightly better.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
We just bought a Stihl RMA 510V mower. It has the AP300 battery and the AP300 charger. So far have only used the mower 2 times , and after doing the front yard 2 times the battery was down to 2 lights still lit. I've been impressed with the quality of the mower . I know not what you are buying but has one lever to adjust the mowing height of all 4 wheels.
Takes me 20 minutes just to grease the tractor and RFM. Then I can mow.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts
Thanks for the feed back fellas, I was thinking of going with the AP 300 or 300s batteries. I figure what the hell, spend the extra few bucks these will probably last 10 years easy just like my gas one.

Kbar, I'm hoping I can trim around the house, and trees with one or two batteries. Between the house, flower beds and trees it takes me about 45 minutes to complete the task (as long as I don't have to re-spool the twine on the trimmer) From what I read the trimmer usage is about 47 minutes per battery.
It’ll be fine your first year or 2 and the longevity drops off a little. Grab a couple batteries cuz your gonna get more stuff. I have 2 and want another just cuz. I use my leaf blower a lot. One running while one on the charger ready to go is the way I go. That’s where the variable speed model comes in handy. On light trimming you don’t need full power and the battery will last a lot longer.
I have the FSA85. It’s super lightweight and powerful

·
Registered
3025E
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Gene,

I was eyeing up the 510V, when we built our house 3 years ago, I had a rectangular house and driveway to mow around. Since then I have a dozen trees and flower beds to mow around, I will probably stick it out another year or so before I get fancy and buy the push mower. Glad you like it!

·
Registered
3025E
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’ll be fine your first year or 2 and the longevity drops off a little. Grab a couple batteries cuz your gonna get more stuff. I have 2 and want another just cuz. I use my leaf blower a lot. One running while one on the charger ready to go is the way I go. That’s where the variable speed model comes in handy. On light trimming you don’t need full power and the battery will last a lot longer.
I have the FSA85. It’s super lightweight and powerful
I guess I would go with a minimum of 2. They’re similar to drill batteries, you can’t just stop in the middle of a project and wait for the battery to recharge. That’s like running out of 2 cycle gas, forgetting where the little bottle of oil is, running to the Stihl dealer for a new bottle then gas station and back home...Sonofah I hate when that happens

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the milwaukee blower and trimmer. The blower is great because my wife will use it. I use my backpack blower for general use but she uses the battery blower for the porches, etc. I have the stihl 12" battery chainsaw, and it is usually what I take in the woods for trail maintenance. I usually give up before the battery does. I usually fall the tree with my gas chainsaw and use the little stihl for cutting limbs, and cleanup. Stihl was smart in using a super thing chain on the small battery saws, so it isn't as much drag on the motor. It is also quicker to file that little chain, not as much metal to file per tooth.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Have a Stihl MSA 120C chain saw with 36v "AK" battery. Have 2 because 1 runs only 50 minutes if constant cutting. Biggest thing with this Stihl is it hogs chain oil. Oil may often not last through a battery.

·
Registered
3025E
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good point on the oil usage, I would have thought the tank would be sized to match the battery life. How long does the AK battery’s take to charge?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
We have had a trimmer for 4 years it has been awesome. use it for the lawn edging and get out the big trimmer cutter bar for heavy stuff like berries etc.

Single charge is perfect to get me around the front and back yards

1 - 20 of 24 Posts