Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big success today in getting my WR Long 3rd function kit properly installed and working. My root grapple now has jaws that open and close. Took two tries to connect to the correct power beyond port on the loader valve but eventually got it. Pretty awkward getting at those fittings. Had to remove the right fender.

Next challenge is going to be getting the 8B backhoe installed. But here's the rub: I don't have the frame mounting hangers and they are apparently not available anywhere. My plan is to get the 8B up on blocks at the right height and then back up the 990 to it as if it were mounted in order to create plywood templates for a fabricator to make real ones for me.

But I don't even know where the frame mounting hangers are supposed to go. Here's what the rear hangers look like according to Green Parts Direct:

Does anyone have an 8B mounted on a 990? I would love to see some photos of where those hangers attach to the tractor frame. Can anyone explain to me what the piece in the dotted line is?

Still learning how to navigate and use GTT. (This is only my second discussion starter.) Can members private message each other? If so, I'd welcome anyone who would like to connect directly.

Sad story: Driving back to Maine from SE Pennsylvania (I drove there to pick up the used JLG aerial lift I bought to work on the old timber frame barn we're turning into a house) I hit a pothole so bad it knocked my cell phone out of its holder on the dash and into the cup of water in my cup holder. I was chugging lots of water because it was brutally hot and my air conditioner pump had given out. So tomorrow I'm going to get a new phone and see if anyone can retrieve my contacts and photos from the drowned one. All this just to say no one can call me right now but I do get email messages and hope to get reconnected by phone here soon.

Thanks in advance.

Lowell

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
No help here, but I have seen a few threads here on GTT where guys have done exactly what you are talking about. Mate the backhoe to the tractor where it appears it should be, make plywood templates and start fabricating. Sure is easier to type that out than actually do it. Keep the thread up to date with your progress, would like to see how this comes together. I didn't see it mentioned above, but you will need Power Beyond to run a back hoe on your tractor.

water + cell phone = PITA hate that situation!

Also, start a thread on the barn / house build. There would be a lot of interest in that here on GTT.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Put that phone in a bag of rice ASAP and leave it overnight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you have a vacuum sealer and the containers that go with it to vacuum marinate meat put your phone on one of those containers and pull a vacuum on it. It will pull the water out in vapor form and the water will condense on the container walls.

Release the vacuum, wipe out the container with paper towels and repeat the process.

This is a really good way to get water out of a phone if you have a vacuum sealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Don't have a vacuum sealer but that idea is intriguing enough to get me to ask a neighbor if he does. I feel absolutely cursed about cell phones. My last two phones both ended up dead from water damage. This last one dove off the dash when I hit a bad pothole but I figured it was on the floor somewhere so I didn't worry about it too much when it happened. And I didn't want to off myself searching for a phone while navigating mad traffic while towing a 3500# aerial lift in the heat with no air conditioning. But then the phone rang and I discovered to my surprise that it was standing on its head while lit up and ringing right next to me in the cup of water in my cup holder! But the minute I fished it out to answer it began its death spiral and now it's as dead as a door nail despite holding it up to the hot air blast from the truck blowers, putting it in rice when I got home, and talking nice to it. Fortunately, I had been regularly sending photos by text to my brother about the barn restoration project so they are not lost but my contacts are. Aargh.

So I've got to learn to post one subject at a time. This one was supposed to be about mounting an 8B backhoe on a 990 tractor but then I had to go shooting my mouth off about cell phones. Oh well, it's all about life, right?

OK, here's the update about the backhoe. I have the backhoe sitting up on blocks at the right height and backed the tractor up to it this evening to try to figure out how to proceed. But nothing makes any sense. The illustrations of the front hangar shows a connection for inserting a pin (a $76 pin!) into the bracket to attach the frame of the backhoe to the tractor just like how my #10 backhoe fitted onto my old JD 1250. But my frame doesn't have any holes that a pin could go through. Tonight, I starting suspecting that there is another whole sub-frame assembly missing from my backhoe. I recall seeing something like that when I was searching for the hangers (brackets) online. Is that possible? I don't really see how this backhoe could be attached to my tractor although from what I've read, the 8B backhoe is specific to the 990 tractor. Something's amiss. I'm feeling helpless about how to proceed and I really need it working. (I'll tell you all about our passive solar/earth battery greenhouse project another time but having the backhoe operational is critical to that project.)

By the way, I talked more about our "old barn to modern house" project on my first thread called "New guy with an odd dilemma" if you want to see some photos. Sorry I don't know how to link to it here. I'm going to keep that thread going with new photos as soon as I get my new phone activated. I probably should separate the barn conversion thread from the backhoe mounting thread but don't know how to go about that. Any advice from one of the moderators?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Lowell,

I have a 990 with an 8B. Its been 4 days since your last post so I am not sure how far you have gotten. If you still need help or pics let me know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lowell,

I have a 990 with an 8B. Its been 4 days since your last post so I am not sure how far you have gotten. If you still need help or pics let me know.
Thanks, Rob. Can you tell me if your 8B includes a sub-frame and if it is essential for mounting? Mine came with no hangers and no sub-frame and I'm about to insist that the seller take it back since there doesn't seem to be any way to get the parts. If you have any photos of the attachment points, I'd love to see them.

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Lowell,

I believe you have already been to this page for the parts catalog off of JD parts for the 8B

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc...lPTiwyOTE3OiNDQVRBTE9HLDY0OTkyOkVRVUlQTUVOVF0

Yes there is a complete subframe that stays connected to the 8B which goes under the 990 and is connected by a reinforcement frame which connects to the FEL and rear axel area. When you attach and detach the 8B from the 990 the whole Main Frame slides out from under the 990. It has a pretty good length to it. Also there are different model years of the 8B. I am not quite sure on the changes. My 990 was purchased by the original owner in 2005. That seems like yesterday but it was 16 years ago and of course the 8B has been discontinued and as you have found it is pretty hard to find parts for it. You could contact the original designer and manufacturer of it for John Deere and maybe get some drawings from them to have the parts made if they are willing to do that. The company is Ameriquip found here Home. This Ameriquip backhoe instruction and parts document pretty much matches the parts document off of JD’s parts catalog for the 8B https://www.amerequip.com/assets/documents/90A-backhoe-sn2128-and-later.pdf you can find all of those here Document Library The 80 series seems to be for the JD 7 series and the 90 series seems to be for the 8, 8A and 8B series by looking at the different models and their parts etc.

The 8B Main Frame

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/64992/referrer/navigation/pgId/43914164

The 8B Reinforcement frame which stays on the tractor

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/64992/referrer/navigation/pgId/43947596

Rear Hanger

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/64992/referrer/navigation/pgId/43913590

Front Hanger – there are two different part numbers. I think that my 8B has the latter which I have copied here

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/64992/referrer/navigation/pgId/43951023

You can download the operators manual from here Search for Equipment Publications - Technical Information Store and put in 8B. you want the manual part # OMM126823 I have also attached it to this post.

The earlier 990’s used the 430 FEL and the later models used the 300CX which that is what mine has. There could be a little different hookup with the 300CX over the 430 but I do not know that for sure. The 4005 which is the 990 with a new name and some updated items like the alternator amperage and some other things is pretty much the same as my 990. I look at the parts catalog for the 4005 for things like fuel filters etc because mine is a very late model 990 just before they made it into the 4005 and the 990 parts catalog shows the picture but not the actual part #. The 4005 used the 300CX FEL as well.

I will seek to get you some pictures but I am pretty busy. Maybe Thursday evening I can take a few for you.

I hope that this all is a help to you. I like my 990 and 8B. It is no special BH and is herky jerky because of the era and build of it and the valves they used etc. It is a pretty good and powerful BH all things considered. You can always want more power but it sure is better than using a shovel!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, Rob. Don't know how to thank you enough for all that information. How do you find this stuff out?? I'm going to check out Ameriquip for drawings and see about fabricating something if they're willing to share them with me. Starting to feel like a wild goose chase.

Lowell

Reactions: robpm

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I learned a lot of this by reading on forums like GTT and Tractorbynet. You pick things up. That is where I learned about Ameriquip. I actually spoke with one of their engineers and he gave me the drawings for the street pads for the 8B because they were no longer made and you could not buy them anywhere. They are pretty tight and not willing to give out drawings. I would love to get a complete set of drawings for the 8B. That way if you have to replace a part which is no longer able to be purchased at least you could make it or have it made according to specifications.

Reading on the forums is beneficial even of things that are not applicable to your tractor can be very helpful. It helps build your knowledge base and gives you ideas of what you might be able to do with your tractor. My experience is that the vast majority of people on these forums come on when they are looking to purchase a new tractor or they have just purchased one. They stick to the forums for a good bit but then other things come up in their lives and take precedent and then they no longer are there. A minority stick to them and typically they are older people and they find comradery in the forum with other like minded people. I have been on GTT since I think 2012. I only come occasionally and typically there have been posts on threads that I have sought to follow. Then I will look in certain other threads to see what is happening. I like looking for those who post things on the older models since that is what I have. So when I saw your post it caught my eye and I read it. Glad I could be of some help to you.

The 990 is all that I need for a tractor and even though it is a collar shift based transmission that is what I grew up with so I am fine with it. I would not want a hydro but I would love a PowrReverser. I have a lot of things that I would like to do to my 990 to make it even more beneficial in the lighting, alternator, hydraulics etc but my life is very busy with running a company and also my family life. So we will see how it all providentially plays out over time.

I will try to get you some pictures this evening.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Lowell,

Here are pictures for you off of my 990 with 300CX FEL and 8B BH. The 4 sets of drawings that you need are on each of the below links and it looks like John Deere has all of them available for purchase. It is not inexpensive but they are available. I did not look at their availability the other night but looking at them tonight you can purchase them.

Left hand and right hand hangers about $700 with the hardware https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/64992/referrer/navigation/pgId/43913590
Frame Reinforcement both left and right hand about $1,600 with the hardware https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/64992/referrer/navigation/pgId/43947596
Mane frame for attachment to the 8B if you do not already have it, about $1,750. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/64992/referrer/navigation/pgId/43914164
So the total cost on all of these items is around $4,050 to get all you need to attach the 8B to the 990 roughly speaking. If you already have the main frame then that is a savings of $1,750.

I hope all of this helps so that you can get the 8B running on your 990. I am also assuming that you have the PB hydraulics already on your 990. If you do not then you will need that as well.

Here is a link to the pictures https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/6s41G4

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rob,

Once again, I'm in your debt. All that information was exactly what I've been searching for. I hope anyone else looking to set up a 990 with an 8B backhoe will find this thread.

Pretty much all my questions are now answered. The photos really helped. Rear hangers looked pretty much like I expected but confirmed that they can be attached with the pto cover still in place. I had also assumed that the drawbar and 3 point hitch arms needed to be removed. (Haven't done it yet but I think I know how to provide the PBY.)

It's clear that the 8B cannot be mounted without the frame reinforcement components, what I'd been calling a sub-frame. I don't know why the dealer thought he could sell me an 8B backhoe along with my 990 without including the frame reinforcement. I knew it was coming without the hangers but assumed I could get them fabricated locally. But the dealer should have known he was selling me an incomplete unit.

I'll check today to see if those parts are actually available. I have the main frame already so really only need the frame reinforcement and the hangers. As I recall, my local JD dealer told me the hangers were obsolete and unavailable when I called a month ago. And when I look up the parts at partscatalog.deere it doesn't list a price stating Contact Your Dealer instead.

Gotta go early to pick organic strawberries this morning so I'll report back what I find out later today.

Awesome mother lode of information! Thank you.

Lowell

Reactions: robpm

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Lowell,

Any further info? If you go to this thread on TBN you will find some more documents that are helpful regarding the 8B BH and 990 CUT Buying a Hoe for JD 990

I hope that you are finding what you need.

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow. When it rains it pours. Nothing but challenges and trouble lately. Cell phone was down for over two weeks which made communication very difficult.

But some news: I found an implement and parts dealer who has both the left and right frame reinforcements (in their original OEM packaging) and the tractor dealer who sold me the backhoe has agreed to split the cost with me so I've ordered them. My local JD dealer's service department is going to set me up with the rear remotes directly from the PBY port - before the 3rd function valve. That all leaves me with only the hangers to get fabricated and I'll have a working backhoe! Haven't been able to reach Amerequip (thanks for that tip) yet to confirm that the Model 90A in their catalog is the same as John Deere's model 8B but I think you're probably right. I want to confirm that with them and then ask if they can give me at least some minimal specs on the hangers - grade of steel, thickness of plate, etc.

Plans for what to do with the backhoe once it's going? Quite a list:

1. Dig a 125' trench for laying two channels of 2" schedule 40 conduit for 200 amp electrical cable and high speed fiber optic cable from the meter pedestal to a 16' X 16' "central utility hub" that will house the intake for those two lines, the AquaTherm wood boiler, 2 cords of firewood, and cover the sunken concrete box that contains the shallow well pump and expansion tank. (Black 1.5" pipe brings water into the pump from some unknown source. We suspect it's a spring but no one seems to know where that spring is.)

2. Grub out the stumps along the edge of our property so we can build a proper gravel road around the field rather than having to go through it.

3. Prepare a flat pad for setting up the Norwood sawmill.

4. Digging an 8' wide by 6' deep by 60' long trench in the center of where we intend to put up the greenhouse. This will be filled with coarse rock interspersed with perforated 4" flexible tubing for transferring hot air from the peak of the greenhouse to the rocks during the day and released back into the greenhouse during the night if needed. A thermal batter if you will.

5. Planting fruit trees, digging rocks, digging foundations, etc.

Lowell

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Lowell,

Glad to hear your phone is back up and running and that you found a dealer with the with both the left and right frame reinforcements!

It looks like you have a lot planned for the 8B! Sounds really good.

That all leaves me with only the hangers to get fabricated and I'll have a working backhoe! Haven't been able to reach Amerequip (thanks for that tip) yet to confirm that the Model 90A in their catalog is the same as John Deere's model 8B but I think you're probably right. I want to confirm that with them and then ask if they can give me at least some minimal specs on the hangers - grade of steel, thickness of plate, etc.
I had some contact with Ameriquip. The 90A is the same but without the JD frame for connecting to the 990 etc. They do not have parts and they would not answer about sharing drawings. Maybe when you contact them you will have better results than me. If you do get better results let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rob, I wanted to say how much I appreciated the photos you shared of your 990/8B duo. The dealer I purchased the frame reinforcements from is waiting for my check to fully clear his bank before shipping them - probably won't even get shipped until next week. Everything takes longer than we'd like, right? Actually seeing them will probably answer several of my questions but I am wondering about a couple of things you might be able to clarify.

1. Do the frame reinforcements get attached permanently to the tractor or to the backhoe? Or are they a 3rd element that doesn't get permanently attached to either?
2. Your front hanger attachments look like they are spring loaded. The hanger illustration on JD Parts looks like it's simply two flanges with holes in them welded to a plate. I'm wondering if the frame reinforcements come with a spring loaded pin.
3. Could you tell me the dimensions of the rear hangers? Especially the height and width. They look like they are made of 1" steel. Are they thicker than that?

Can you believe it cost me over $500 to get a replacement swing chain repair link, replace a couple of short hydraulic hoses, and reassemble one of the cylinders? Don't yet know how much it's going to cost to get the hangers fabricated but I'll probably end up with a pretty good 8B backhoe for around $5,000 when all is said and done. I guess I can live with that.

While we wait for the frame reinforcements, we've been assembling the Norwood 36 sawmill that got delivered in around 20 boxes last week. What a challenge. The manual says most people can assemble the complete sawmill in two days. Tomorrow is day 4 for us and I don't think we're much more than half done. There must be a couple thousand parts! Like everything else we do, it's "one step at a time."

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Rob, I wanted to say how much I appreciated the photos you shared of your 990/8B duo. The dealer I purchased the frame reinforcements from is waiting for my check to fully clear his bank before shipping them - probably won't even get shipped until next week. Everything takes longer than we'd like, right? Actually seeing them will probably answer several of my questions but I am wondering about a couple of things you might be able to clarify.
You are welcome, glad I could be of some help. Yes everything always takes longer than we hope or expect. There are those occasional times when things end at the expected time or even better take less time but I am a believer in the Adamic curse of the thorns and thistles in Genesis 3.

1. Do the frame reinforcements get attached permanently to the tractor or to the backhoe? Or are they a 3rd element that doesn't get permanently attached to either?
The frame reinforcements are left on the 990 permanently, at least mine are and the one on JD Parts looks like mine. you can see them on JD parts here https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/64992/referrer/navigation/pgId/43947596 One end is actually attached where the loader masts attach to the tractor and the other end is attached to the rear axle where the ROPS is attached to. If you go back to the pictures you can see where it attaches to the loader mast supports in pics 0283, 0284 and 0287. It barely can be seen in pics 0289 and 0290 as well. You can see where it attaches to the rear axle in pics 304, 307, 308 and 311.

I would also make one note, I do not know what s/n your 990 is but there was a definite change with s/n 590001 and above in 2004 where they went from the older 430 FEL to the new 300CX and when they did that they changed the hydraulic lines for the FEL from being on the left side to the right side. Mine is the latter. The mounts for the masts also changed from what they were for the 430 FEL. Those were square mounts which you can see that in pictures found here pictures of john deere 990 with 430 loader - Google Search The mounts for the 300CX are round. I am guessing that you have one of these FEL models.

2. Your front hanger attachments look like they are spring loaded. The hanger illustration on JD Parts looks like it's simply two flanges with holes in them welded to a plate. I'm wondering if the frame reinforcements come with a spring loaded pin.
Yes the frame reinforcements come with the spring loaded pin. This pin locks the sub frame of the backhoe to the frame reinforcements. There is one on each side. The drawing from JD's site shows that with parts 10 - 13 https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/64992/referrer/navigation/pgId/43947596 You can also see these in the following pics 0285, 0286, 0288, and 0311. When I bought my tractor and brought it home and tried to use the 8B it started pulling right off from the 990 because those spring pins were not locked! I got a lesson right off of how to get the 8B reattached to the 990. I have never taken it off since although I will be doing that soon because I need to use my 1 year old, still in the box, Woodland Mills chipper and my 1 year old still in the wrapper Igland skidding winch. I also have a pin on the frame reinforcement on the right side that has to be welded back on. They were only tacks it looks like.

3. Could you tell me the dimensions of the rear hangers? Especially the height and width. They look like they are made of 1" steel. Are they thicker than that?
Yes that is what they look like to me as well from the pics. I will not be able to make any measurements for you until the weekend. The rest of my week I am gone both day and evening until the weekend with other commitments.

Can you believe it cost me over $500 to get a replacement swing chain repair link, replace a couple of short hydraulic hoses, and reassemble one of the cylinders? Don't yet know how much it's going to cost to get the hangers fabricated but I'll probably end up with a pretty good 8B backhoe for around $5,000 when all is said and done. I guess I can live with that.
I can believe it. That is probably close to what the 8B with all the hardware costs when they were still selling them. In fact I think that I actually have a quote for a 4005 with 8B. They changed the model number from 990 to 4005. Mine has most of the 4005 items on it but it does not have the higher amperage alternator like the 4005 which in the end I think was 50 amp. Mine still has the 20 amp. I did purchase the upgrade to the 35 amp but I have not changed it out yet. That was not cheap!

While we wait for the frame reinforcements, we've been assembling the Norwood 36 sawmill that got delivered in around 20 boxes last week. What a challenge. The manual says most people can assemble the complete sawmill in two days. Tomorrow is day 4 for us and I don't think we're much more than half done. There must be a couple thousand parts! Like everything else we do, it's "one step at a time."
That is one nice looking sawmill. I would love to get a portable mill some day as well. I can see where it would come in real handy but I think that will have to wait until I retire.

Again one of those "takes longer than you expected" jobs! Lord willing you will have it complete soon and you will be using it which no doubt will have its challenges but once mastered you will be producing some nice lumber!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Rob. Fun talking with you. People always made fun of me before I retired because I tended to give complete and thorough answers to questions put to me but I think I've met my match. I've got a 2007 model 990 with a serial number above 590001 and the 300CX FEL with the hydraulic lines on the right hand side. But now I'm wondering if the frame reinforcements I bought are going to fit. Hopefully they were made to fit before and after the change but I never thought to ask the dealer who is selling them to me about that.

Funny hearing about your attachments still in the box after a year. Glad you have them though. We sold our Farmi winch before we moved and I haven't replaced it yet. Was thinking I can get to most of our pine logs and carry them out in the grapple. A bit slow but would put some very clean logs on my Norwood sawmill. Same with our Wallenstein wood chipper. Don't think we're going to get another one because it requires so much grueling hand work to feed it. But then again I don't know what we're going to do with all our brush piles.

I'm longing for the day when most of my projects are finished - especially the barn to house conversion - and I can put up my feet, at least for a few minutes. (We did take a day off last week to visit my son and his family who were near the end of their annual week-long vacation to Monhegan Island. It's an hour's ferry ride out into the Atlantic. The first half of the ride went well but then my wife got terribly seasick and spend the rest of the ferry ride out, the whole time we were on the island, and the whole ride back - plus the truck ride and the rest of the day back home - just about as miserable as one can get.) I like having projects to work on but we're facing a few too many challenging ones at the moment. The worst challenge at the moment is the lack of reliable phone service. I'm often wandering around the field behind our camper searching for a cell signal and then breaking up when I try to talk with people. I agree with my brother - that's entirely intolerable. Solution is to authorize the installation of high speed fiber optic internet service so we can use our VOIP phone like we did back in Wisconsin but that requires a backhoe to dig the trench first!

I'll keep you posted on progress.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Lowell,

Sorry for the delay. I took pics and also did some videos. I hope the videos are helpful. Go to this link to get them. 990 and 8B

P.S. I am a detail kind of guy. Without details one has to keep going back to get clarification. I am a firm believer in the golden rule, do unto others as you would have them do to you! I like as much detail as I can get. I hope that the pics help you.

Rob

Reactions: ZoomerHD
1 - 20 of 28 Posts