Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am soon going to be the new owner of a 1025r and it's my first tractor. I have been told a few things about applying a coating on the underside of the mower deck to prevent grass from building up? What sage advice do you have in regards to this? What are your thoughts on the hose wash out adapter to rinse the underside off???
Any thoughts/advice appreciated...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Which deck did you get?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I've given that some thought, but have never implemented it. For my usage, it is more about preventing/prolonging deck life from rust through, than clipping build up. I don't have an issue with clipping build up if I only mow when the lawn is dry. I power wash the underside of the mower deck at the end of each season and have never had a big build up problem when I have done so.

The problem is, most things will quickly be worn off by the abrasive action of the debris, including sand, thrown into a cyclone by the rotating mower blades. I had thought about a spray-in truck bed liner. It is extremely durable and very resistant to abrasion. My concern would be its rough surface texture. Would that make it incline for clippings/debris to adhere to it, creating excessive build up?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I did that to an old aluminum rivet boat years back, and from what I remember, it takes a lot of sanding, and prep to get it to stay on. Even after spending an entire day sanding, scoring the surface, and then meticulously cleaning everything, I applied that stuff pretty thick, and it peeled at the high traffic areas. My concern with applying that stuff is you have to score the surface your applying it to. Therefore your scratching the underside of your deck purposefully to get adherence. This will eventually wear off and you,l be stuck with a mower deck underside with scratches that rust will show up to the party soon after. I know a few people that will throw some rustoleum on there after pressure washing it and call it good

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
What are your thoughts on the hose wash out adapter to rinse the underside off???
In my experience, they are worthless. Also, the last thing you want is cold water on hot spindles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've given that some thought, but have never implemented it. For my usage, it is more about preventing/prolonging deck life from rust through, than clipping build up. I don't have an issue with clipping build up if I only mow when the lawn is dry. I power wash the underside of the mower deck at the end of each season and have never had a big build up problem when I have done so.

The problem is, most things will quickly be worn off by the abrasive action of the debris, including sand, thrown into a cyclone by the rotating mower blades. I had thought about a spray-in truck bed liner. It is extremely durable and very resistant to abrasion. My concern would be its rough surface texture. Would that make it incline for clippings/debris to adhere to it, creating excessive build up?
That is a good idea. Looking online for a smooth bed liner now...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I have that same deck
Things pretty bulletproof. I bought it last year and mowed with it all season. When I took it off the last time to clean, grease, and put up for the winter, I was amazed how little grass build up there was on it. Might have been due to using it as a leaf blower. I guess the grass build up breaks down over time, and breeds moisture, acidity, whatever, so keeping it clean is key. They build them things for you to drive over with your tractor. Clean it, store it indoors, and it’ll be fine

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
From what I have read ..that wash out fitting is a waste of time...I noticed in either Home Depot or Lowes ( I think it was HD) in the OPE aisle there was a spray on specifically for this purpose....I remember reading the label and it claimed to provide a smooth surface to prevent build up of crud ...I did not try it...but I have also read reports of guys using used engine oil...they spray it underneath every few cuts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use normal grease that we all use to keep our machines happy.... I put it under the deck by hand every few cuts (after cleaning out the grass that built up) and at the end of the season to prevent it from rusting, it works pretty good! ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Something to think about if using the wash out port to clean the underside. You want to make sure it dries thoroughly or you will eventually have rust issues. After I get done mowing, I remove the deck and use a plastic scraper to remove the grass clippings. In the spring the grass is very moist and the clippings stick to the deck. This is with my X590 48A deck.

·
Registered
22,080 Posts
I have perpetually wet grass in some spots and have always struggled with wet grass build up. The only real solution for me is to scrape the underside after every mowing.

That gets old really fast plus being partially crippled up now it’s an ordeal.

What I have found is coating the underside with EZ-Slide. I give it 3 or 4 coats in the fall when I clean the deck for winter storage. Yes, after a while the coating wears off directly above the blades but to be expected.

What has helped more than anything for my situation is using Gator Blades. I find much less clumping underneath.

My main reason for doing any of this is protecting my deck. When I buy equipment it is usually a lifelong purchase for me and I need it to last. Wet grass is very corrosive so I have to have some sort of program to battle that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
After every mowing. That's a lot of work. Do you have a system of some sort to help?
No, just my hands and trusty plastic scraper. I slide the deck out and flip it over. I usually get 2-3 scoop shovels of clippings. I use a power flow bagger and there are clippings clumped in the blower housing too. It is a pain. Typically takes an hour or so to complete. If I don't some of the dried clippings will drop out at the next mowing and the mower will not pick them up.
I may try E-Z Slide as coaltrain mentioned.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use Fluid Film. It helps with sticking, helps prevent rust and make cleaning easier. Now instead of removing the deck after every mowing I only do it every 4 or 5 times a season. Usually when the grass was too wet to mow but I didn’t have a choice. I use a plastic scraper then pressure wash dry it with compressed air and reapply Fluid Film.

·
Registered
22,080 Posts
Does anyone scrape the underside, like with steel wool, at the end of the season and paint it?
In my post above for at the end of the season - yes. Almost have to. Even when I regularly scrape the underside with a plastic scraper - and power wash it a couple times of year and before storing it for the winter - there will still be some build up here and there.

The original paint on these decks are terrible - it was all gone after the first season, i had a 757 commercial zero turn some years ago where the paint stayed and never had to do much to it.

So I use a fiber wheel on mine before I apply the EZ-Slide.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Does anyone scrape the underside, like with steel wool, at the end of the season and paint it?
I wouldn't use steel wool, it will damage the coating on the deck, creating ridges and scratches which gives wet cut grass somewhere to adhere to. At the end of the day, preserving the paint seal to protect the deck steel is the goal. Plastic scraper is key, as is keeping up with it.

I just scraped my 72" deck yesterday because I mowed ar the end of last season, then hurriedly put the deck away to go on a month- long business trip with the promise I would take care of it when I got back. Now it needs to be wetted down and massaged with something soft like a nylon brush to get the rest of the crap off, which is a bummer, but was totally avoidable if I hadn't backed myself up at the end of last year.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have that same deck
Things pretty bulletproof. I bought it last year and mowed with it all season. When I took it off the last time to clean, grease, and put up for the winter, I was amazed how little grass build up there was on it. Might have been due to using it as a leaf blower. I guess the grass build up breaks down over time, and breeds moisture, acidity, whatever, so keeping it clean is key. They build them things for you to drive over with your tractor. Clean it, store it indoors, and it’ll be fine
Same here. Got my tractor around this time last year and mowed all season with the 60D. I was amazed at how little grass has accumulated on the underside and I didn't use it for a leaf blower so that wasn't it. I was considering one of the dry graphite coatings but seeing how little grass sticks to the bottom I'm no longer worried about it. A few minutes with a plastic putty knife and a wash down and it's good for the next season.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts