Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
It’s not nasty at all.

I use the brush on version. As Herminator said it is very thin and goes on easily. Also it dries very quickly - you can add more coats within 1/2 hour.

And it goes a long way. I usually buy a quart and I can coat the deck with 3-4 coats at least 3 times. So a quart lasts me about 3 years.
Sounds like a plan for my as-yet-unused 54D!

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Is that graphite-based stuff nasty? I used to use Arco Graphite motor oil, lol, remember that? That was nastier than the oil out of my TDI after 10000 miles.
No. It is very thin and it has to be stirred often to keep the graphite in suspension. The best way to explain it is that is like working with stain for consistency. Once dry if you rub it it does get on your finger so you do want to put down cardboard so it is not on the shop floor.

·
Registered
246 Posts
No. It is very thin and it has to be stirred often to keep the graphite in suspension. The best way to explain it is that is like working with stain for consistency. Once dry if you rub it it does get on your finger so you do want to put down cardboard so it is not on the shop floor.
Do you brush it on? Rag?
You put the cardboard down underneath the deck when getting the grass off it?
Will stop of at TSC today, although it is snowing here at the moment.

·
Premium Member
8,472 Posts
The last several years were "wet" years at my PA farm. So mowing when the grass was "dry" was next to impossible. And as was mentioned, the grass is "juicer" and at times taller in the spring. While mowing I could hear a "change in the sound" of the blades and knew the grass was sticking to the deck filling the cavity.
Same here. Spring mowing even when the ground is dry, the grass is very lush.

These are the reasons I clean the deck after each mowing. Yes it is time consuming and a pain but a necessary evil in my opinion.
This whole discussion about "what can I do to my deck so I don't have to clean under it", is sort of like saying, I love to cook, I love to eat, but I hate washing dishes. It's all part of the ownership.
Agree 100%.

I have a plastic scraper that I use and this is also why I bought a wheel lift for my Z. I try a get it done as soon as possible, usually before I put it away. It comes off much easier when it is still wet.

When I clean up the machine to store for the winter, I just clean the deck real good and coat it with Fluid Film.

So far I haven't found a magic solution that is worth the time or money that works better than just keeping it scraped.

Probably the best selling point I can see for the drive over / auto connect systems - makes cleaning the deck much easier. Those loader bracket mounts would just be extra icing on a good cake.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Do you brush it on? Rag?
You put the cardboard down underneath the deck when getting the grass off it?
Will stop of at TSC today, although it is snowing here at the moment.
spray inside places I can’t get a brush and brush the rest. I only put the cardboard down when painting it for any drips.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I clean my 54 inch deck every fall with a pressure washer and I brush on Rustoleum Deere Green paint to the underside of my mowing deck. I know it will wear off each year but I am just trying to keep the rusting of the deck to a minimum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also, the last thing you want is cold water on hot spindles.
If your spindles are hot, you've not been greasing the spindles as you should. They will not be getting 'hot'...

I use Fluid Film under my deck and on a lot of my 'stuff' around my old homestead!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts