Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So were experiencing arctic temperatures (-10 and below) in Wisconsin right now with snow coming tomorrow. Last i seen was 13.5 inches. My question is anyone have any hacks to keep the engine warm and keep the fuel from gelling up? I’m already running additives in my fuel and keep the tank topped off.

I plow afew driveways and the farthest one is a 20min trailer ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
If you are buying winterized fuel locally, you are probably good to go. In your area it’s probable has 20% #1 diesel blended in.
If you are curious, you might ask your fuel supplier what they recommend. It’s about to get a whole lot colder, so depending on when you bought your fuel, it may not be blended with enough #1.

Do you keep your machine inside a semi heated building? That will make things allot more forgiving.

·
Registered
306 Posts
-10F really isn’t cold. That is usually the temps that I run my tractor in. Make sure it has plenty of time to warm up. And if you have to trailer it do so with rear of tractor facing truck and leave running slightly above idle

·
Registered
109 Posts
-10F really isn’t cold. That is usually the temps that I run my tractor in. Make sure it has plenty of time to warm up. And if you have to trailer it do so with rear of tractor facing truck and leave running slightly above idle
If you back your tractor on to the trailer make sure you strap the hood down.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Z. I use Power Kleen in all my diesel equipment including my daily driver work truck. I use twice as much per gallon in the really cold spells. Good products. The white bottle stuff is mostly all I use. If you’re going to use the cleaner (green accented bottle) plan on changing your fuel filters after 2/3 of that tank.

https://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-fuel-supplement-cetane-boost/?utm_source=reachlocal&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=psp&scid=3733632&cid=2708887&tc=19012611212559617&rl_key=4ffed578f5bb40a5c68c08dce9ea1a4c&kw=21858277:0&pub_cr_id=80401850641768&dynamic_proxy=1&primary_serv=powerservice.com&network=o&device=m&targetid=kwd-80401919530595:loc-190&loc_physical_ms=48064&click_id=ecef5b3fcfaa11864dcd07737c9e278b&rl_track_landing_pages=1&rl_retarget=1

Think first out there!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Last week was -30c (-22F) today it’s +10c (+50F) man Fahrenheit is hard to spell and a goofy way to measure temperature

I have a 400L slip tank in my truck with a filter on that. I never keep it full maybe 200L on average and just fill it up when it stops pumping fuel. I’ve never treated my fuel in any way and have never had any issues with my equipment. I will run 5w30 vs 15w40 as we run in the cooler temperatures

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is what I use in my tractor and my pickups. I get it though my wife’s work. I only had my pickup gel up in the filter once and that was 3 days of -20F. I’m just manly concerned with the little amount of fuel a 1025R holds with the temps the next few days. I’ve always been told a full tank of diesel is better then a low tank in the winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Last week was -30c (-22F) today it’s +10c (+50F) man Fahrenheit is hard to spell and a goofy way to measure temperature
Ah, the Chinook zone. Can go from -20°F to +50°F in hours. Or the other way in about the same amount of time.

I used to regularly travel up in your area. One Friday on my way home, everything was in MPH, °F, Gallons (albeit Imperial gallons), Miles, etc. The next week it was all in KM/Hr, °C, Litres, Kilometers, etc. Just a cold turkey switch over. No easing into it at all.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Last I saw the forecasted high for Green Bay is -10 on Wednesday. I’m sure it will be colder than that north and west of here. It’s forcasted to be much warmer by the weekend. As long as I can get in and out of my driveway,I’m going to wait for it to warm up a little before doing much snow removal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts