Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this tractor for sale today on Craigslist and found it intriguing.

I wondered if any of our GTT members have owned one or have any knowledge about these unique little tractors. This unit has some very interesting features and the resale values they command are quite high for a small one cylinder gas powered tractor.

Apparently all wheel steering, some are 4wd and they have standard front and rear PTO's and a wide range of attachments. They haven't been made since 1999 and I had never noticed them before today.

Just curious on comments from those who have knowledge or experience about these tractors.

For what it is worth, The guy is asking $2,500 for this one but the average selling price on Ebay is about $3,600 and some have sold for north of $7,300 with attachments.

Also, the ones which I have found that have sold seem to be concentrated around the North Eastern U.S. with New Hampshire and Vermont being home to several which sold and some of those now for sale.

Just wondering what those who have used one or know someone who has thought about it. Here is a link to the basics about this tractor.

TractorData.com Honda H5013 tractor information

Thanks in advance for any responses........

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I've never seen one. Never heard of one. Didn't know it existed until now.

That said, if it was cheap enough I might pick it up. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment? :lol::lol::flag_of_truce:

Looks like a neat little machine, I'd like to see one in person.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never seen one. Never heard of one. Didn't know it existed until now.

That said, if it was cheap enough I might pick it up. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment? :lol::lol::flag_of_truce:

Looks like a neat little machine, I'd like to see one in person.
I am kicking it around just because it is so different. My personal experience with Honda products from that era is extremely favorable. Honda has always made great products but there for awhile, they were so over engineered and heavily built that they will likely last forever, which is a good thing.

On a personal note, I hope you are really enjoying your new home state. I love Wyoming and make it a point to get out there on my Harley for either the Sturgis Rally or for another couple of weeks during the summer. I love to ride from the Black Hills west through Wyoming plains and into Buffalo to cross the mountains and into Ten Sleep and then work my way to Cody, Yellowstone and the Highway 212 back into Montana via the North eastern Yellowstone Park exit.

I have wandered around Wyoming so randomly and without a plan that some of the cattle began talking about how I must be lost when they see me go back by them in the opposite direction. Seriously, Wyoming is one of my favorite places in this great country..........Hope your relocation is everything you hoped it would be. Congrats.

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
13 hp? I'll bet it is terribly under powered. A few years ago, I saw a 3 cylinder gas 18 hp one running around. It looked pretty neat, and sounded cool.
The 13hp single cylinder engine is PRECISELY why I would like to hear from those who have owned one or operated one. I had the exact same thought as you when I read the specs.

But then when I look at the units for sale, some have 3pt hitch finish mowers on them and the interesting fact I have noticed from the sales listings is that many are 1 owner units now for sale for the 1st time. Generally if something is underpowered or it's performance is unacceptable, people dump them in a hurry, but that doesn't seem to be the case with these.

I even looked at alternative sources to see if the Tractor Date engine info was incorrect as I have found errors from time to time but the other sources seem to confirm the engine size and specs in their description.......

It will be interesting to hear how these tractors really perform........It seems doubtful that Honda would doom such a product to failure with under power but stranger things have happened.......Not necessarily to Honda, though.

:unknown:

·
Premium Member
14,152 Posts
My high school shop teacher bought one somewhere around 1991-1994 , his son still has it today. Guessing they have a 1/2-3/4 acre and mowed with it every week. Shame he died somewhere around 1996 way to early in live to enjoy his Honda mower. The design was a total different and kinda still is even with todays mowers.
I do remember he caught a lot of grief buying a import mower , but he always drove a Honda Accord.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
These things have a cult following and can bring big money. I have a friend that has several and absolutely loves them. They had all sorts of attachments available including a front mounted 3 pt hitch and PTO

·
Administrator
20,369 Posts
These machines have almost a cult status amongst a small group of people. They were supposed to be great machines and were built well. The major downfall for them is the serious lack of availability of parts.

If you were buying it because of its novelty, you're probably ok. But if you intended on using it and depending on it, I think you'd be setting yourself up for failure.

Just my $.000000002

·
Old Pa-pa
11,431 Posts
Thanks in advance for any responses........
[/URL]
Think I've seen 1, many moons ago down here.
None built since 1999, $2500, 13HP, think you would be setting yourself up for an adventure considering
the apparent complexity of the little thing and availability of parts.

Cajun

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These machines have almost a cult status amongst a small group of people. They were supposed to be great machines and were built well. The major downfall for them is the serious lack of availability of parts.

If you were buying it because of its novelty, you're probably ok. But if you intended on using it and depending on it, I think you'd be setting yourself up for failure.

Just my $.000000002
Thanks for the comments. I would buy it simply to restore it and I would be unlikely to use it. After all, Green is where I go when I need to get something done........

I found the Honda products in general to be extremely well built and engineered. I was surprised when I saw this unit as I have never seen one before. They command serious money on Ebay, and I was surprised to find between 70 and 80 different parts available for them on Ebay as well.

It would simply be a toy for the collection, not something I would expect to use. I am seriously contemplating starting a collection of unusual garden tractors of all brands and also a collection of the walk behind garden tractors. I have seen a number of things lately for sale which I found interesting and fortunately, most of these tractors are quite affordable.:bigthumb:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,431 Posts
It would simply be a toy for the collection, not something I would expect to use. I am seriously contemplating starting a collection of unusual garden tractors of all brands and also a collection of the walk behind garden tractors. I have seen a number of things lately for sale which I found interesting and fortunately, most of these tractors are quite affordable.:bigthumb:
There's an old guy down here who has been bugging me to sell my old IH 274, he offered me what I though was a
ridiculously high price.
Than I looked it up and the price wasn't ridiculous.
He collects Farmall Cubs and 274's (which is basically a Cub on steroids with a Nissan diesel engine).
Both high clearance garden types that can work implements under the center.
He has 3 Cubs and 2 274's.
Totally restored with paint jobs that will match classic cars.
Guess that's his thing, see them in parades every now and then pulling floats.

Might just take him up on it if I decide to get the Deere 4066R, because what he's offering will just about
pay for a 485A backhoe for a 4066R.
Won't get rid of the Farmall Cub though, that was from my grandfather, last tractor he bought.

Cajun

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cajun,
I bet you have seen the thread I wrote awhile ago about my friend who put the Cub on the pole in front of his business to honor his fathers memory. Today, this friend and I went a looked at a couple of other Cub's which are for sale in the general area, just to have, for no special reason.

Sometimes, the sentimental value far outweighs the monetary value and such is the case with my friends Cub on the pole and the one you have which your grandfather purchased.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,431 Posts
Cajun,
I bet you have seen the thread I wrote awhile ago about my friend who put the Cub on the pole in front of his business to honor his fathers memory. Today, this friend and I went a looked at a couple of other Cub's which are for sale in the general area, just to have, for no special reason.

Sometimes, the sentimental value far outweighs the monetary value and such is the case with my friends Cub on the pole and the one you have which your grandfather purchased.
It still runs good and I use it 10 - 12 times a year to cut the ditch banks with the sickle bar, ain't too bad
for a 53 years old piece of equipment.

Cajun

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cajun,
I was SHOCKED to find out what the new sickle bar mowers cost and I was also surprised to find out how difficult they are to find for smaller tractors (under 45 horsepower).

Every dealer I asked about the sickle bar mowers all tried to talk me into a traditional "brush hog" style rear 3pt mower and they discouraged me from even considering the old sickle bar mower style, which only made me look harder to find the choices, which weren't near as many as the other style rear mowers..

The sickle bar mowers are ideal for just what you are using the one on your Cub, mowing road edges and ditches. Being able to angle them both directions is extremely handy which is clearly something the traditional rear mowers can't accomplish.

$4,800 for a new 6' sickle bar at Northern Tool.......Ouch. PGF Double-Action Sickle Bar Mower — 6ft. Cutting Width, Model# SKM600 | Category 1 Mowers| Northern Tool + Equipment

·
Old Pa-pa
11,431 Posts
Cajun,
I was SHOCKED to find out what the new sickle bar mowers cost and I was also surprised to find out how difficult they are to find for smaller tractors (under 45 horsepower).

Every dealer I asked about the sickle bar mowers all tried to talk me into a traditional "brush hog" style rear 3pt mower and they discouraged me from even considering the old sickle bar mower style, which only made me look harder to find the choices, which weren't near as many as the other style rear mowers..

The sickle bar mowers are ideal for just what you are using the one on your Cub, mowing road edges and ditches. Being able to angle them both directions is extremely handy which is clearly something the traditional rear mowers can't accomplish.

$4,800 for a new 6' sickle bar at Northern Tool.......Ouch. PGF Double-Action Sickle Bar Mower — 6ft. Cutting Width, Model# SKM600 | Category 1 Mowers| Northern Tool + Equipment
Dang!!!
I had no idea they cost that much now days, the belly types are simple as heck and belt driven by a pulley
on the PTO.
The sickle bar I have was bought at the same time as the tractor by my grandfather.
He used it for cutting hay for the cattle, he didn't believe in them "new fangled" bailing machine,
they didn't make good hay.:laugh:
He'd cut it, let it dry and then we would walk behind the wagon with pitch forks,
a few extra bucks for me and my cousins.

It's a Woods 6 footer, even have an extra "blade/blades" for it.
I rarely see any others around here, they used to be real common back in the day.
I use it to cut the sides of the ditch banks, than Roundup just the very center, really prevents
erosion from the sides with some grass remaining to hold it.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

There is a 5518 in mass on CL with a front mount cat 0 blower, front blade and mower deck for 5K, looks good, a lot better off than the one in your picture. The attachments for these is where the bucks are because everyone that has a tractor wants them. Honestly, for a toy it might be fun but... you know the rest of that story.

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts