Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen I have a x739, I will purchasing a 54" front mounted blower, will I need to purchase the rear suitcase weights for traction, I weigh about 195 lbs, my son also operates the tractor and his wight is about 130 the driveway is flat and black topped. Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,180 Posts
The manual states that (2) wheel weighs are required and weight box with (9) weights is recommended (no wheel weights with this config). I suspect the minimum of two weights is for when you raise the blower off the ground. That blower really hangs out there in front. I have a 2720 with the same blower and loaded rear tires and with the blower lifted off the ground it really takes a lot of weight off the rear tires making traction difficult.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You can always try it without and see if it works for you. On my 445 rear wheel drive, I could not get away without weights, I have the rear wheels weigheted down with the 80#? and 50# weights and use chains. My driveway is slightly up hill to the road and several winters, I had to get the truck out to unstick the tractor. On my 1026R I went 5 winters before I decided to add the same weights to the rear wheels, more for side to side balance as the cab makes it top heavy and using it in my fields raised the pucker factor sometimes and the extra weight down low helped that somewhat.

·
Premium Member
18,542 Posts
IMO I would say YES , I can tell a big difference with my 1025 if I have rear weight or not when using the front blower and sometimes just using the front blade.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Haven't used my blower yet but I hang my box blade for ballast when using my grapple for moving rocks. I would certainly recommend a good amount of rear ballast when snowblowing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't used my blower yet but I hang my box blade for ballast when using my grapple for moving rocks. I would certainly recommend a good amount of rear ballast when snowblowing.
did u purchase the steel impeller separately, I was told to buy a 54" over the 47" for a wider path especially when turning, do you agree with that assessment.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
did u purchase the steel impeller separately, I was told to buy a 54" over the 47" for a wider path especially when turning, do you agree with that assessment.
I bought my blower used the refurbished it. It had a steel impeller when I got it.

As for 47" vs 54" I bought used so I bought what I could find. In my area there's not much of a used market so I wasn't all that picky on size, they will both work.

If it ever gets cold enough here in the Northeast to snow I might be able to give you more of an impression on it the turning radius bothers me much. My snowblower is new to me this fall.

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
With HDAP tires I never had an issue running without weights. The nice thing about a blower and 4wd is you can lift it a bit if you need more traction.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Clearing deep snow. No weights at all and no, I am not stuck.

Reactions: CMoua and X758er

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
YES, absolutely add rear weights. I have loaded tires, rear wheel weights, and extra rear mount weights up to 240lbs.

View attachment 761086
There's a huge difference between R4 tires like your set up and the HDAP tires on the x7 tractors.

The AWD x7 tractors just don't need all that added weight like you have on your 322 to get traction. I've only ever added ballast weight to my x7 to keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Flat land one may get away without weights. My gravel drive is not totally flat (but not steep) and I got stuck several times with my 318/49 blower/no chains using six (6) suitcase weights (252+200). Also if you are "pushing" into packed snow you will need added weight.

·
Premium Member
16,180 Posts

Level ground makes a big difference when it comes to traction. That same snow on an incline would probably require weights AND chains. :)

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Level ground makes a big difference when it comes to traction. That same snow on an incline would probably require weights AND chains. :)
It isn't a steep hill but that pic was taken going up an incline. The thing is with a blower, is if you are doing it right, you are driving on clear ground not snow. Well not a lot of snow anyhow. When clearing this much snow it was slow going. Raise the blower all the way up drive into it far enough where the front wheels were getting into the snow, back up, lower the blower and make a second pass with the blower down at ground level. I have found weight coming into more play when plowing than blowing.

That said, I now have weight because it was added when I got a FEL. I now (not when those pics were taken) have fluid filled rear tires and run a heavy hitch with 4 to 6 suitcase weights. I say 4 to 6 because I often move two of them to the front.

I add the weight to the front because our driveway has a lot of grade changes so using the blower and plow works better in float mode and I have so much weight in the back that it unloads the front wheels too much and steering can be tricky. While I can lift up on the blower a bit too shift a lot of weight on the front axle, that doesn't work as well as the grade is changing. So weight in the front and rear is a perfect combo. However, I only started running weight because I added it for ballast for the FEL and the 6 suitcase weights came with my Z950R as they are required when I run the collection system. I don't use the ZTrak much in the winter.

I have never had the need for chains. Well when growing up I did on my dad's 317 which was 2wd plowing a residential driveway. Not saying it is never needed on any property, I am sure there are some. More so if they are gravel and turn to ice.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gentlemen I have a x739, I will purchasing a 54" front mounted blower, will I need to purchase the rear suitcase weights for traction, I weigh about 195 lbs, my son also operates the tractor and his wight is about 130 the driveway is flat and black topped. Thanks
I have an X739 with 47" snow blower to use on a rolling gravel driveway. Mine has a heavy hitch and 4 suitcase weights on the back for a total of about 225 lbs of ballast and I have no trouble in 3-6" snow storms. I have no wheel weights on this. The Hdap tires are awesome. So on your flat, blacktop driveway you should be fine, but to be safe in heavy snowstorms I think it would be worth investing in 4 suitcase weights.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
You don't have to! But I have always run 6 suitcase weights On the click N Go weight bracket on my X748(older Version of X758) Just a Habit as I use to have a X485(older Version of a X730) I also run 72Lb weights weight but that's because I am just to lazy to take them off as I run the X748 with a 45 Loader In the other 3 seasons (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have same tractor with 47”blower and find the weights help a lot

·
Registered
122 Posts

That is crazy!!! The snow looks wet and heavy too! What tires do you have on to require no weights?

·
Registered
682 Posts
The AWD x7 tractors just don't need all that added weight like you have on your 322 to get traction. I've only ever added ballast weight to my x7 to keep all 4 wheels on the ground.
I am definitely comparing apples to oranges using my 322 as an example but I also have a 2520 (old MCUT) with 4WD and realize how much that enhances it's capability, but I still have added weights similar to the 322 and I still think the extra weight improves performance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.