Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing my first John Deere lawn mower (X758) and will be using a 54" snow blower attachment for snow removal. I lived in Georgia the last 5 years so I haven't had to worry about snow blowing. Prior to that, I lived in Vermont and had a Cub Cadet, which worked great. I remember using 2 suitcase weights when I had the snow blower attachment mounted. The person I spoke with at the John Deere dealership did not think I would need them but I thought I would. Please let me know if you think I'll need suitcase weights with the X758 and if so, how many should I use? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
IMAG0139.JPG IMAG0144.JPG

Your going to need some weight. I have my rear tires filled , 2 sets of wheel weights, + I put 8 42lb suitcase weights on the 3pt. I also run chains on all for tires.

I don't put the weights on the 3pt or front chains on for light snowfalls, don't use 4x4 half the time. However when I bring the 1026 "up north" to open the driveway and there's 2' of packed snow , even with all this weight, in 4x4 and dif locked I still get some wheel spin.

For those of wondering where upnorth is, its Beecher Wi. About 90 miles north of Green Bay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
View attachment 30063 View attachment 30064

Your going to need some weight. I have my rear tires filled , 2 sets of wheel weights, + I put 8 42lb suitcase weights on the 3pt. I also run chains on all for tires.

I don't put the weights on the 3pt or front chains on for light snowfalls, don't use 4x4 half the time. However when I bring the 1026 "up north" to open the driveway and there's 2' of packed snow , even with all this weight, in 4x4 and dif locked I still get some wheel spin.

For those of wondering where upnorth is, its Beecher Wi. About 90 miles north of Green Bay.
Awesome tractor. Thanks for the pics. I figured I would need some weight. Thank you!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,729 Posts
Welcome to GTT GONE2VT. Where are you at now, United States is pretty big?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,729 Posts
Thank you! Living in Massachusetts. Not as much snow as I used to get in Vermont but still enough.
Thanks for the updated profile. It really does help us all in our replies.
I'm slowly getting to the point, a little snow is too much.:laugh: But not yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Thank you! Living in Massachusetts. Not as much snow as I used to get in Vermont but still enough.
Welcome to the 'hood!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I will be purchasing my first John Deere lawn mower (X758) and will be using a 54" snow blower attachment for snow removal. I lived in Georgia the last 5 years so I haven't had to worry about snow blowing. Prior to that, I lived in Vermont and had a Cub Cadet, which worked great. I remember using 2 suitcase weights when I had the snow blower attachment mounted. The person I spoke with at the John Deere dealership did not think I would need them but I thought I would. Please let me know if you think I'll need suitcase weights with the X758 and if so, how many should I use? Thanks for the info!
The more important question is: why would you ever move from GA. to MA. A year ago I moved from NY to SC. Will probably die-no strike that. Gonna die in SC. Pushing snow is fun, but I've had my fill. Welcome to the site. :hi:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The more important question is: why would you ever move from GA. to MA. A year ago I moved from NY to SC. Will probably die-no strike that. Gonna die in SC. Pushing snow is fun, but I've had my fill. Welcome to the site. :hi:
Lol. Thanks! Had to move from MA to VT for my job, VT to GA for wife's job and GA back to MA for wife's job. I'll tell you that we vacationed in Hilton Head, SC each year we lived in GA and it's on the top of the list of places for us to retire to in 15 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I lived in mid-Wisconsin all my life until last fall and usually had the biggest JD garden tractors they made. I had 2 wheel drives all the time. I put fluid in the rear tires, two wheel weights on each rear tire and chains on the rear.

We usually got about 50-90" of snow a year and sometimes a foot or so at a time along with a lot of wind to make big drifts. I never had a problem not being able to move forward or getting stuck in 40 years. I did have a weight box laying around but empty and never used and a couple years ago I filled it and used it snowplowing. I helped a little bit.

The nice thing about suit case weights is, just like a weight box, you can take them off in the spring and not tote extra weight around all summer.

Unless you are on a big hill, I don't think I would start out getting front chains. It would be more stuff to monkey with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I lived in mid-Wisconsin all my life until last fall and usually had the biggest JD garden tractors they made. I had 2 wheel drives all the time. I put fluid in the rear tires, two wheel weights on each rear tire and chains on the rear.

We usually got about 50-90" of snow a year and sometimes a foot or so at a time along with a lot of wind to make big drifts. I never had a problem not being able to move forward or getting stuck in 40 years. I did have a weight box laying around but empty and never used and a couple years ago I filled it and used it snowplowing. I helped a little bit.

The nice thing about suit case weights is, just like a weight box, you can take them off in the spring and not tote extra weight around all summer.

Unless you are on a big hill, I don't think I would start out getting front chains. It would be more stuff to monkey with.
My driveway is pretty flat now and the X758 is 4 wheel drive so I am going to start off without chains and see how it goes. I'm probably going to get 4 suit case weights for the winter...I think that should be enough.

Great advice. I really appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
My driveway is pretty flat now and the X758 is 4 wheel drive so I am going to start off without chains and see how it goes. I'm probably going to get 4 suit case weights for the winter...I think that should be enough.

Great advice. I really appreciate it. Thank you.
Should be good with that setup. I'd see how it goes without the chains as well and with the full time 4WD of the X758, you should be fine. The X7 tractors are known for being good snow movers.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
:wgtt:

what kind of tires? HDAP? Turfs, 4x4? I am not sure if all x758's are 4x4...if not will need weights and chains for sure

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
:wgtt:

what kind of tires? HDAP? Turfs, 4x4? I am not sure if all x758's are 4x4...if not will need weights and chains for sure
Only one model of X758 which is the diesel and full time 4WD. Deere eliminated the X749/X759 (diesel, AWS, AWD) for 2014.

Not sure if they still come with the HDAP tires if full time 4WD drive though now or not.

Edit: According to Deere's website, it appears that if model has full time 4WD, comes with HDAP turf tires. 2WD X7 series come with the standard turf tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
With the snowblower on the front of my X575, the four (4) suitcase weights are always on the rear.
It greatly helps 4X4 traction and center of gravity.

PS I love snow!

·
Premium Member
14,404 Posts
Just my 2 cents, added weight to my series 1 last winter using a 47 blower and made a world of difference steering the tractor.
I took my old lifting weight set and found a heavy duty pipe to slide them on and then mounted to the 3pt .
You probably don;t have 3pt but guessing you could find a way to hold them to the rear of tractor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts