Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

OK, so my knee is killing me from the weather and I can't sleep. Weird thoughts are entering my mind such as:

Are there any other superduty uber computer geeks out there in green tractor land running enterprise class IT infrastructures in your homes?

I'm not talking gamers, hardware enthusiasts or social media types, I'm talking engineers, developers, virtualization architects and such, running private cloud infrastructures from VMWare, Citrix, Hyper-V or RHEV, enterprise class storage systems, DaaS/application virtualization with thin clients, multi layer managed networking with vLANs, Active Directory/NIS/Ldap environments etc.

Don't be afraid, let your inner geek out!!

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Hiya,

OK, so my knee is killing me from the weather and I can't sleep. Weird thoughts are entering my mind such as:

Are there any other superduty uber computer geeks out there in green tractor land running enterprise class IT infrastructures in your homes?

I'm not talking gamers, hardware enthusiasts or social media types, I'm talking engineers, developers, virtualization architects and such, running private cloud infrastructures from VMWare, Citrix, Hyper-V or RHEV, enterprise class storage systems, DaaS/application virtualization with thin clients, multi layer managed networking with vLANs, Active Directory/NIS/Ldap environments etc.

Don't be afraid, let your inner geek out!!

Tom
Tom,

I think your lack of sleep has caused delerium to set in, and you are now truly just making up words. Have you watched Star Trek lately, or perhaps just running old episodes through your mind, cause it seems terms from there are entering your mainstream conscience.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

No virtual architect here...... but my neighbor does that stuff for a living (he actually does), and drives a Kubota. Maybe you're asking in the wrong forum....

-J.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I'm am a MIS major at WVU. I not running anything to crazy. I use Sophos UTM 9 for my firewall and Internet gateway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
tomd999, we run a lot of what you stated at work. I don't touch the stuff anymore but my guys do fairly well with it. VMware has proven to be really beneficial on all our development systems, saves on the number of computers, a lot.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I installed and maintain all of that at work. I also ensure my clients are running things like that securely. Used to manage 13 sites with MPLS wan, 1k workstations and 3400 employee enterprise by myself. That's why it is a 'Used to". While I could do it, all I did was work. I have no desire to have all of that at home, or the need to pay for all of it. I do also run a Sophos UTM and manage 2 ap10 access points with it. , it is a very capable device.

Today I manage 34 employee network and enjoy the now much lower level of stress. :)

Jim

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I run an ESXi 5.5 server with VCenter 5.5. It is a single host, so I don't need HA, but VCenter makes cloning a snap. There are about 40 VMs/Templates on it. Only 5-6 are running at any one time. I've got 2 HP2824 switches and a 2626-PWR. There are 3 VLANs, internal/my network, guest wireless and security cameras. The security cameras are all POE.

Nothing super duper enterprise and my equipment is older, but it does the job well.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
OK, now I seriously have a head ache. :think::gaah::confused:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I do use virtualbox with ~12-15 (varies) vms for my security testing lab. If VMware had a free home use license I would look that way, but with all my stuff being on a laptop with a bunch of ram, it's hard to beat a lab you can sit on your lap.

Oh and cisco small bus switch for the wired side and Synology NAS for backups and central storage.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Holy crap.....you guys aren't kidding around....

Anyone want a free flight to canada to set up our EMR for a new office??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've installed 11 EMR systems to date. All from same vendor at all of my old job's health centers. Was an IT Director that got my hands dirty. Supported network engineering clear down to desktops. Major work to automate with as little Micro$oft as possible.

Jim

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hiya,

I see we have a couple geeks around here :thumbup1gif:

I've worn many hats in IT, RPG-II programmer, Sysop, Administrator, Engineer, Architect, Therapist and Counselor..... :laugh:

For work I help build and now running a private cloud in a very large corp that supports 10K persistent development desktop guests running MS and RHEL OS's. The back end is ESXi running on HP Proliant hosts connected to vMax arrays with Cisco appliances.

For the house I keep it simple, couple of ML-G6 Proliants running 5.5 vSphere, Synology 9Tb SAS array and Netgear managed Gb switches with E-Genius AP's. On my tiny cloud I run a MS 2012R2 domain mainly for logon security, WSUS updating and policy management of the notebooks. Using a least privileged user rights model, along with the centralized management of the domain model I'm able to manage and update the 6 family laptops as easily as one.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts