Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my arm rests are starting to deteriorate. The tractor is parked indoors so I wouldn't think UV exposure could be doing it in 230 hours & 2 years worth of use. I do power wash the tractor every once and a while, but it's a small electric power washer and I keep my distance from the tractor, especially on plastic & around the operator station. Is this a common thing?

2017 2038r, 220r loader, 72" MMM, 66" EA Box blade, Woodmax FM-62 flail mower, Artillian forks, JD KBL 6' 1950s discs, subsoiler

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I've noticed that my arm rests are starting to deteriorate. The tractor is parked indoors so I wouldn't think UV exposure could be doing it in 230 hours & 2 years worth of use. I do power wash the tractor every once and a while, but it's a small electric power washer and I keep my distance from the tractor, especially on plastic & around the operator station. Is this a common thing?

2017 2038r, 220r loader, 72" MMM, 66" EA Box blade, Woodmax FM-62 flail mower, Artillian forks, JD KBL 6' 1950s discs, subsoiler
Do you have some of those big Burly muscle arms that weigh a lot ???:laugh:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have some of those big Burly muscle arms that weigh a lot ???:laugh:
I wish, I have puny desk worker arms.

·
Premium Member
13,814 Posts
The head on that dead blow looks worse. :munch:

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is why I recommend using a blower instead of water to remove debris from my tractor. Water only creates moisture and encourages mold, mildew, dry rot, and deterioration. Since your armrests have already been subjected to excess moisture and heat, I would use a vinyl protectant on them to help extend their lives, but you have to keep doing it at least once a month.

Personally, I hate the arm rests because it's much easier to mount the tractor without them and unless you have power steering, you constantly have to use both hands on top of the wheel to steer. If I had armrests, I'd remove them and buy an arm-less seat cover for $25-40. Anyway, just my 2 cents. :hide:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is why I recommend using a blower instead of water to remove debris from my tractor. Water only creates moisture and encourages mold, mildew, dry rot, and deterioration. Since your armrests have already been subjected to excess moisture and heat, I would use a vinyl protectant on them to help extend their lives, but you have to keep doing it at least once a month.

Personally, I hate the arm rests because it's much easier to mount the tractor without them and unless you have power steering, you constantly have to use both hands on top of the wheel to steer. If I had armrests, I'd remove them and buy an arm-less seat cover for $25-40. Anyway, just my 2 cents. :hide:
I do use a blower most of the time. I only washed it maybe 8 times. When I do I make sure to drive it around some afterwords so it dries off before parking it indoors. They fold up and I typically leave the left folded as I steer mostly with that arm. I use the right more since it’s operating the hydraulics and the arm rest is in a good place for that. I really it just seems like a light amount of use to be waiting like this.

Using a tractor without power steering . I’ve only ever driven pretty new/nice tractors so I’ve never had that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine look about the same, I generally put my tractor away but occasionally it's outside for a day or two and I'm fairly certain it sat on the dealer's lot for several months before I bought it. The seatbelt is also faded.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I thought I read, that you said, that they are deteriorating? They look pretty normal to me, maybe I am missing this something.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I read, that you said, that they are deteriorating? They look pretty normal to me, maybe I am missing this something.
In the first picture you can see that it’s more of a brown color in spots. Those spots the pattern/texture is coming off. In the second picture you can’t see the color difference but can see the pattern difference. Not a huge deal, but just seems premature IMHO.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I see it just fine ;)

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PMFJI... looks like a battery tender connection.
Yep a Noco tender/charger.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
My armrests look the same, normal wear in my opinion. I love the armrests and constantly grab them when mounting and always use them for resting my arms, they'll be fine, can't stay shiny forever.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have only had my 2038R for a year. It sits outside under cover but mine are doing the same thing. IMG_2923.jpg IMG_2924.jpg IMG_2925.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is partially UV damage in my opinion. My 2032R lives outside and my arm rests have similar damage but much more widespread. The arm rest that came on the tractor looked terrible from sitting outside on the dealer lot for a while so I got my dealer to give me a new set. The new ones are about 8 months old and now look almost as bad as the ones they replaced. In general I have been pretty displeased with the UV resistance of the black plastics on my 2032R. I have owned the tractor for less than a year and the blacks are significantly graying.

I have started applying 303 Aerospace Protectant to try and slow down the process and so far is seems to be helping. It can leave residue on the green plastic if you aren't careful though.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
My arm rests are also fine. 50 hours on the tractor. No sign of wear, and it sits "inside" (garage-in-a-box) most of the time.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
It is partially UV damage in my opinion. My 2032R lives outside and my arm rests have similar damage but much more widespread. The arm rest that came on the tractor looked terrible from sitting outside on the dealer lot for a while so I got my dealer to give me a new set. The new ones are about 8 months old and now look almost as bad as the ones they replaced. In general I have been pretty displeased with the UV resistance of the black plastics on my 2032R. I have owned the tractor for less than a year and the blacks are significantly graying.

I have started applying 303 Aerospace Protectant to try and slow down the process and so far is seems to be helping. It can leave residue on the green plastic if you aren't careful though.
I don't think it's UV related. Mine stays inside my shop and looks the same. I think it's sweat. PTO selector shaft looks oxidized from where my arm rubs by it when applying or disengaging the parking break too. I'll snap a couple photos when I go up to my shop in a sec.

Edit: For some reason when I type "brake", auto correct changes it to break.

Reactions: mike01 and PJR832

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Sorry, should have said range selector, not PTO selector.

IMG_20190517_180326.jpg

IMG_20190517_180333.jpg

IMG_20190517_180343.jpg

Reactions: mike01 and PJR832

·
Registered
899 Posts
Human sweat and oils will break down all kinds of man made materials.

Reactions: Big and PJR832
1 - 20 of 22 Posts