Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of Artillian extensions as soon as Chris announced them. I bought them for two reasons: 1 - The 54 blade is far too small for a 2320 and 2 - I knew if it was a product that Chris designed and marketed that it would be good.

Installation was easy. Hardest part was drilling the holes in the blade. I did have to grind a bit off of the tab that fits in the reinforcement on the bottom of the blade. This will be my third year using them. I have a browntop driveway and keep the blade up an inch off of the surface, so wear is not an issue on the extensions. The flex in the rubber is beneficial in the event one hits a rock or other obstacle. I really don't foresee ever having to replace them.

Having said all of the above, I think if I did have to replace them, I would go with the steel extensions that John Deere makes. If money were no object I would replace the 54 blade with a 66 inch blade from Compact Tractor Attachments. The CTA blade is higher with more curve in the moldboard and would make my winter life much easier.

I'll continue to use what I have and think of Chris every time I look down at the extensions that he designed. If I'm not mistaken the price has increased considerable since I bought mine.

Premium Member
Now if You could Buy a Bigger CTA Blade would You still add something to it Like the Artillian Blade Extensions again?

Corndog Hater
Thanks Don for posting your thoughts.

I have only used my plow twice, although in a couple hours, it'll be three times. I have pushed light fluffy snow and wet heavy stuff. I definitely want some added width, but haven't decided if the rubber extensions or steel would be better. That will be the decision that makes me procrastinate on plunking down some cash. In my longer runs I made for the dog this morning (which was light fluffy snow), the snow came up over the top, but so far that's the only time. So, jury is still out on the rubber flap on top of the plow.

Registered
Thanks Don for posting your thoughts.

I have only used my plow twice, although in a couple hours, it'll be three times. I have pushed light fluffy snow and wet heavy stuff. I definitely want some added width, but haven't decided if the rubber extensions or steel would be better. That will be the decision that makes me procrastinate on plunking down some cash. In my longer runs I made for the dog this morning (which was light fluffy snow), the snow came up over the top, but so far that's the only time. So, jury is still out on the rubber flap on top of the plow.
Slowing down would cure that, and....it鈥檚 free!

Corndog Hater
Slowing down would cure that, and....it鈥檚 free!

And that's a good point....I'm new to this plowing thing, yet another reason to procrastinate as I'm still getting my technique down. Thanks

Super Moderator
After having used the Artillian wings for the last 3 winters I'll never be without rubber wings again. I have a stone wall on one side of part of my driveway and those rubber wings allow me to get close up and personal with it. I don't even have to go back out after plowing and shovel to clean up. :good2:

Plus, I've lost track of my snow blade a few times while trying to maneuver around the drive way and whacked the garage twice. A metal edge leaves big gouges in the siding. The rubber edge just leaves black scuff mark that I can scrub off in the spring. :laugh:

Premium Member
After having used the Artillian wings for the last 3 winters I'll never be without rubber wings again. I have a stone wall on one side of part of my driveway and those rubber wings allow me to get close up and personal with it. I don't even have to go back out after plowing and shovel to clean up. :good2:

Plus, I've lost track of my snow blade a few times while trying to maneuver around the drive way and whacked the garage twice. A metal edge leaves big gouges in the siding. The rubber edge just leaves black scuff mark that I can scrub off in the spring. :laugh:
Every time I go to buy the wings I stop because the thought of drilling holes in it makes me cringe :dunno:

They would come In very Handy In this new House though. Old House I didn't Have to get that close to Building to Plow so I put it off.

Again today the thought of drilling holes stopped my purchase. The other reason I will Primary use a tractor Mounted snow Blower once My Artillian Cab is in and with the X748 doing the Plowing I Can see very well with it's size and it allows Me to get close to the Garage doors with out damaging them.

I have always Loved Chris's Idea. I might just finally Bit the Bullet once I Buy after Market 60 or 66inch Blade as it's Not a Deere Blade and I don't Care as much:laugh::bigthumb:

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Now if You could Buy a Bigger CTA Blade would You still add something to it Like the Artillian Blade Extensions again?
No I'd be happy with the 66 inch blade.

Registered
yeah i agree-as i made mine 72 inches wide, with adding steel extensions to it. too wide in my book now-as when angled the whole way i have to watch where i'm at, as the corner will gouge the dirt. so stick to the 66 inch wide -at least with jd's front quick hitch--if it was higher like it should be--then i wouldn't have a problem at all.:munch:

Premium Member
My reason for asking was Not really to extend the Blade but for Protecting Objects which is does now for You. If You would still use them as a Bumper of sorts with a CTA blade/. Which is the only reason I have ever considered them :bigthumb:

Registered

I'm with JimR. I can go up against my walls and curbing with the Artillian wings with out fear of tearing the plow or objects up. Yes they flex and bend a little with wet heavy snow, but i'm fine with that.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
My reason for asking was Not really to extend the Blade but for Protecting Objects which is does now for You. If You would still use them as a Bumper of sorts with a CTA blade/. Which is the only reason I have ever considered them :bigthumb:
No I wouldn't put them on a 66 inch blade. My plowing is dirt driveway and I don't have curbs or other interference.

Senior GTT Super Slacker
yeah i agree-as i made mine 72 inches wide, with adding steel extensions to it. too wide in my book now-as when angled the whole way i have to watch where i'm at, as the corner will gouge the dirt. so stick to the 66 inch wide -at least with jd's front quick hitch--if it was higher like it should be--then i wouldn't have a problem at all.:munch:
Good point there BigJim. :thumbup1gif: JD sort of missed the boat on this one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts