Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1025R with the FEL and 60" deck for my 15 acres. I don't want a back hoe nor do I have a place to store it. However I do find myself taking out a handful of stumps in the 8" - 10" range. Mostly old ones. I removed 15 last summer using the FEL, SawZall, axe, fire, etc... I have pretty sandy soil and no rocks to speak of. Has anyone had any experience using the Artillian front hoe bucket? I can see using it to tear out the smaller roots around the stump and cutting the biggest ones. And I know what I can and can't do with the loader arms, I'm not a novice to stump removal obviously.

Thoughts or experience?

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
2 ft fork tines may work for ya.

Reactions: C-Range

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ken! For some reason my search doesn't seem to work from my tablet. Odd...

I like the short fork idea but I really like the bucket hoe and if I'm order forks already, wth...

·
RIP Chris
148 Posts
Hi, the FHB would certainly be helpful for liberating the peripheral roots but you probably realize this setup isn't going to do much against a tap root. Full length pallet forks have no business in this application. In sandy soil, pulling might be helpful in loosening, in combination with prying and cutting as you go. A backhoe is the right tool for that job no matter how you slice it.

Last summer, my FHB was on my Artillian frame for most of the summer, second only to my grapple. We used the bucket to transplant a multitude of young trees around our property, which took mere minutes to do each one. These little buckets just keep showing more and more uses.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
23,281 Posts
I have no experience with the Artillian bucket but I do have/use one of these...a Paumco spade that slips onto my forks. It works well for what I've done with it. And it does allow for a bit more reach out in front of the tractor.

https://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200356534_200356534?adv=false
Interesting. I like the idea of it being on the end of the forks for digging a trench. One of the reviews said they dug a trench 30” deep. That would be enough to access my septic lines next time.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have one and love it. I have planted a ton of plants with it and some trees. I have used to it exclusively to remove trees and stumps. Worth the money. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very useful info everyone! I am torn between the Artillian Front-Hoe and the Paumco Quick Spade. I may just end up getting both. Two questions:

1. Does anyone that has experience with the Artillian front-hoe know approximately how deep of a trench is possible?
2. Does anyone know if the Paumco Quick Spade would work okay on 3-inch forks (versus 4-1/2)?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I have one and absolutely like it I dug up this stump with it :good2:

Kenny if you ever want to borrow mine just send me a message and I could meet you halfway your only a little over an hour away

Attachments

Reactions: cold-one and Kennyd

·
Registered
4 Posts
bmichael - I'm hoping I can do that same thing when mine gets here!!

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Kennyd

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Very useful info everyone! I am torn between the Artillian Front-Hoe and the Paumco Quick Spade. I may just end up getting both. Two questions:

1. Does anyone that has experience with the Artillian front-hoe know approximately how deep of a trench is possible?
2. Does anyone know if the Paumco Quick Spade would work okay on 3-inch forks (versus 4-1/2)?
The hoe bucket is 12 inches deep. You will not get much deeper because the mounting bracket/FEL will get in the way. You do not want to dig a trench with it unless it is a short one because it is a very slow method of digging. It will do it, just very slowly. Since it is mounted on the FEL you don't have the luxury of being able to move left/right like a back hoe, you can only go up and down. That means you have to back the tractor up dump the load then reposition yourself over the trench etc. Very slow. The hoe bucket excels at digging small holes or removing stumps. This one of the stumps I have removed with the hoe bucket.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,281 Posts
Can you see the bucket at all from the seat? Or at least the cutting edge?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts