Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another weekend and another issue. Hooked up the grapple and no go. Looked into the power outlet as the culprit and it was in rough shape and full of corrosion etc. Ordered a new one online the other day, came in and tried it and still grapple is a no go. Used multi tester on the power outlet which was good. All fuses good. Tested the line from power outlet to the connections towards the grapple diverter and found a break in the line just after the pressure switch connection. Fixed that and still no go. Not sure where I go from here. Is it the diverter or the power or both?? Not sure if anyones had the same issue.Not sure how to test the plug in connections or from the pressure switch forward to test the continuity or power or both.... The grapple is three years old at least maybe four. AS always, thanks in advance....

·
Premium Member
11,392 Posts
Can you test the power connection on the diverter to see if it's getting 12V?

·
Administrator
17,541 Posts
THIS, while someone is pressing the switch of course. Unplug one of the connectors on the the black coil and test there.

·
Premium Member
11,392 Posts
THIS, while someone is pressing the switch of course. Unplug one of the connectors on the the black coil and test there.
I'm not sure what the power connector looks like but it might also be possible to take two test leads and make a connection directly to the battery - eliminating all the existing wiring and switch. You should hear a clunk from the diverter solenoid.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok stupid question coming but how would i do that. I generally only have used the multimeter to check for power etc.. nothing to technical. So im in need of a little guidance.....

·
Premium Member
11,392 Posts
Ok stupid question coming but how would i do that. I generally only have used the multimeter to check for power etc.. nothing to technical. So im in need of a little guidance.....
I'm not sure which DVM you have but set it for DC-Volts. Auto range is ok or else set it to the 20V scale (or similar). Stick one test lead into each connector at the solenoid and activate the joystick button. You should get a reading of 12 volts at the connector. Don't worry about polarity as a 12V reading of any kind will mean the solenoid connector is getting power.

·
Administrator
17,541 Posts
This is what the connector looks like when you remove it from the coils. Test across the two metal pins.

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6388.jpg

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Can you hear the button clicking when you press it? If not then that's an area of concern worth exploring.

I had a similar problem when I had the grapple rigged up on 2210. The button stopped working for some reason. I had Artillian send me out a new one and it all worked fine.

For the electrical start at the 12v power source and go to each connection and make sure you are getting 12v in/out. My guess is it will be the switch, they do wear out. It's not a very robust switch so I imagine with a 3-4 year old grapple with heavy use would put some good wear on the contacts on the inside of that button.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I wonder if the valve is frozen? how long has it been since you used it last?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
One other issue I have had with my artillian grapple is the cylinder for the jaw went bad on me. It happened after I transitioned the grapple to my 3025E and went to a WR Long 3rd function valve. The cylinder would work once upon start up and then it wouldn't move. After tearing apart my 3rd function valve on a brand new tractor (the grapple couldn't be bad, it was just working!), doing pressure checks etc I came to the conclusion it was the cylinder as I had plenty of PSI getting to the cylinder from the valve but the cylinder was not extending/retracting. Granger carries the exact same one for like $130 or you can get a rebuild kit from them as well if you like playing with hydraulic cylinders. I was in a hurry and a bad mood so I just bought the cylinder and was done with it. So....if you have 12v of electricity everywhere then I would switch to trouble shooting the hydraulics. Get a pressure gauge and see how much PSI is getting to the cylinder. That will tell if the diverter valve is good or not. If you get pressure to the cylinder then the cylinder is bad.

I bought my grapple in December of 2015 and it has well over 100hrs of use on it so maybe similar in age and condition that yours is in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally figured it out. Traced it to a split at the ground wire and blew out the switch with n air compressor as the switch didn’t feel right. Anyways thank you all again for the help. Finally up n running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Finally figured it out. Traced it to a split at the ground wire and blew out the switch with n air compressor as the switch didn’t feel right. Anyways thank you all again for the help. Finally up n running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad you figured it out. Problems like this can be really frustrating. :greentractorride:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts