Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a cheerleader for Artillian dating back to the days when Chris was at the helm and I have spent thousands on Artillian products and have been satisfied with everything...until now.

As usual, I was pushing my grapple beyond limits and managed to blow out the hydraulic cylinder. I called Artillian and ordered a new one (Maxim 288-300) and was charged $280. Upon delivery, I searched out of curiosity for other offerings of this same part and was shocked to find it at several places for up to $100 LESS than what I paid.

For example, Grainger has the exact same part for $137.50!
Untitled.jpg

I contacted Artillian and inquired about this huge difference in price and was told that their price was correct and they would make no adjustments. Further, the VP in charge of sales has refused my request that he explain to me why I was charged this outrageous price. So much for customer relations with a long time loyal customer and avid promoter.

If asked, I will continue to mention the quality of Artillian products but also mention their price-gouging practice.

If you have an Artillian grapple and need a replacement cylinder, DO NOT ORDER FROM ARTILLIAN. You will pay almost $100 more than Grainger!

I am very disappointed in Artillian and I'm sure that Chris would be sadly disappointed as well in how they are doing business.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Your somehow surprised they mark up parts?

I owned a Kubota before. I broke tail lights a couple times, figured they were expensive. They were less than $10. I needed a light bulb for it once. It was a standard automotive bulb. The parts guy said you won’t like the price. The light bulb was something like $10. At a parts store is was about $1. I guess you gotta shop around.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A reasonable mark-up is expected and usual in doing business. What Artillian is doing is not reasonable. They are price gouging!

Reactions: powrguy

·
Registered
207 Posts
If asked, I will continue to mention the quality of Artillian products but also mention their price-gouging practice.
Thanks for the heads up!

Sorry to hear your out money though... Any chance you could return it to Artillian, then buy it from Grainger?

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up!

Sorry to hear your out money though... Any chance you could return it to Artillian, then buy it from Grainger?
Artillian is giving me a refund. They did waive the 20% restocking fee.
I ordered a cylinder from Grainger which was delivered today.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Happy ending?!

Reactions: powrguy

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy ending?!
I'm certainly not happy with Artillian. Plus I have to pay for return shipping.

I do have a new cylinder from Grainger so I'm back in business.
I also got the new joystick switch knob from Artillion which is nice though a bit overpriced at $95

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm certainly not happy with Artillian. Plus I have to pay for return shipping.

I do have a new cylinder from Grainger so I'm back in business.
I also got the new joystick switch knob from Artillion which is nice though a bit overpriced at $95
Less crappy ending? Just trying to find a silver lining for you.

Maybe google the joystick UPC and see if you can find that cheaper else where?

Reactions: mark02tj

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
That is not price gouging. I think you may be misunderstanding what price gouging is. What they are doing is charging a price that you don't like for a product that you want.

They have overhead costs to cover like any other business does. You also have no idea what it costs for Artillian to buy that cylinder in order to sell it to you again. I guarantee you that Granger is getting that cylinder a lot cheaper than Artillian is.

Artillian is obviously not hiding the part number or hiding the price. You certainly could have shopped for that part number before buying it, but you did not. You could have measured the cylinder and shopped for a comparable replacement yourself, but didn't do that either. They had no obligation to even take the return. I'm shocked that anyone would even be annoyed that you had to pay for return shipping. The only reason you're sending it back to them is because you changed your mind. Why would they ever pay for return shipping because you changed your mind?

Sorry but this attitude towards a small business really annoys me.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
So... Artillian agrees to take the cylinder back AND waive the restocking fee simply because you didn't shop around and later found the item at a cheaper price. Certainly they didn't have to do that, then you complain about paying shipping to return a functional item on a purchase that you screwed up?

As to the price, kind of a caveat emptor thing. I don't see how Artillian can be responsible for someones's failure to shop around. Seems to me that Artillian really stepped up and provided customer service way beyond what you could have reasonably expected.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Yes.......ebay , amazon,insert whoever..Is why no small bizz guys stock any parts and will soon be gone.
Cause every person through the door says .."i can get it On-Line" for less.
If your part was jd green and jd sold it..you'd buy it.
Whats the big bitchathon about..you like their products , you bought them, support them.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
If your part was jd green and jd sold it..you'd buy it.
And if JD (or Artillian) changed/relabled the part number to an internal number, you never would have been able to cross reference it back to Grainger.

By the way, "standard mark up" in retail is generally somewhere between 75-150%. In other words, if the business buys x-part (ie: a cylinder) for $75, they're going to try and sell it for $150ish.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
1 Posts
And if JD (or Artillian) changed/relabled the part number to an internal number, you never would have been able to cross reference it back to Grainger.

By the way, "standard mark up" in retail is generally somewhere between 75-150%. In other words, if the business buys x-part (ie: a cylinder) for $75, they're going to try and sell it for $150ish.
GTT Forum Members,

Thank you for your continued support. We appreciate every customer and all of the positive feedback you provide on our products.

With respect to service parts - we make every effort to keep parts in stock for when our customers need them. Like every other manufacturer, we need to make a profit in order to continue to provide quality products and stay in business so we are here for you tomorrow. We work hard to keep our costs in check, and are proud of the fact that we employ well over 100 people at our Massachusetts based factory.

We Thank You for your business - past and present - and look forward to bringing you more high quality Artillian Products.

Best Regards.

John F Davis
Vice President of Sales & Marketing
Curtis Industries LLC - Artillian Tractor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts