Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Deere makes pallet forks for the loaders but this guys set-up is very interesting. I think he has a very efficient and solid design. His design gets right to the heart of the issue, weight savings. I haven't convinced myself to make the purchase just yet but I think I would go this route when the time comes.

http://www.artillian.com/

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
Me and Chris have spoken at length about his Forks, we are even working together on a new product right now-more details to follow. He has a great product to offer.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Kenny,

You and Chris have a good thing going there. I wish I didn't already have forks, I'd definitely go for those. I think I'll be buying some QA's for other projects - blower, flail mower, etc.

How about a bale spear? Snow blade? Etc.......

Nice work on the website as well, especially for such a young company.

Very impressive.

-Jer.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Me and Chris have spoken at length about his Forks, we are even working together on a new product right now-more details to follow. He has a great product to offer.
Why am I not surprised you are involved in this product. Keep us up to date with your new developments. Looking forward to more good stuff.

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
Just to be clear, I had NO involvement in the forks whatsoever other than to help Chris with what loaders they would fit-They are 100% his idea, design, and build. This other thing is my idea, design and build-with some support from Chris. We have talked about other products, particularly grapples marketed for small CUT's but unfortunately we both have full time jobs and time is not on our side right now.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Ah Kenny, the Humble Jedi.....

-Jer.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I like his "Not Made in China" sticker on them!

I'm curious as to what Kenny and Chris are cooking up.

Based on the SolidWorks stress analysis images, these forks are plenty strong.

I'd get interested in these forks if 48" long ones were offered.

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
I know Deere makes pallet forks for the loaders but this guys set-up is very interesting. I think he has a very efficient and solid design. His design gets right to the heart of the issue, weight savings. I haven't convinced myself to make the purchase just yet but I think I would go this route when the time comes.
Hello Randy and everyone! It is truly a privilege to have your interest in my forks. Your assessment is right on the money; carving away excess weight was the genesis of this design, especially for my own little 2305. Every pound counts and what I saw on the market was generally overbuilt and under engineered.

I've been satisfied with the 36" long forks, though I could be happy with 42" as well now. With tractor loaders, the load on the forks can sit precariously far out in front. And for example, with the 2305, having the 260 backhoe mounted and the 36" forks on the loader makes the whole machine longer than my 16' landscape trailer! With a larger tractor, though, 48" forks could likely be a welcome upgrade. The downside is that as the forks grow longer, the maximum load rating on the frame should be reduced since more stress can be imposed on it. That's how the engineering works anyway.

In the near future, I hope to capitalize on the frame design to add other attachments. For example, I really want to use my landscape rake out in front instead of on the back of the tractor. There would be almost no limit to the sculpting that could be done on my own hilly land.

By the way, I also wanted to say thanks to Kenny for encouraging me to join this great new forum for a while now. Lately, it has been difficult to spend the time to keep up.

And thanks again, all, for your supportive words.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Can I suggest a 'T' handle on the bolts that allow the forks to slide in and out, so that one doesn't need a wrench to adjust the width??

-Jer.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
:think: Am I missing something? I didnt look too closely at them but dont these just use standard ITA forks? If so, Just buy the frame kit and get your own 48" forks from anywhere. :think:
Good point. If Chris offered 42" and 48" forks, he could provide the proper load limits for each fork length, instead of the customer guessing...whether intelligently or via a SWAG.

I've been satisfied with the 36" long forks, though I could be happy with 42" as well now. With tractor loaders, the load on the forks can sit precariously far out in front. And for example, with the 2305, having the 260 backhoe mounted and the 36" forks on the loader makes the whole machine longer than my 16' landscape trailer! With a larger tractor, though, 48" forks could likely be a welcome upgrade. The downside is that as the forks grow longer, the maximum load rating on the frame should be reduced since more stress can be imposed on it. That's how the engineering works anyway.
Welcome Chris.

That's why I suggest you offer 42" & 48" forks so you can provide proper load limits based on your engineering data.

I can just see someone getting 48" forks, and having a failure of some kind and blaming you for it since he/she used the 36" forks load rating. This way you can protect yourself in case someone tries to blame you for their ignorance.

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
Can I suggest a 'T' handle on the bolts that allow the forks to slide in and out, so that one doesn't need a wrench to adjust the width??

-Jer.
What bolts? All you do is pull the pin at the top and slide the fork to the next notch in the top rail.

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts

-Jer.
Hi Jer,

I guess this is yet another point that needs clarification that I had assumed was obvious. Thanks for pointing it out. The forks are detented by a spring pin. You pull the pin upward and slide the fork along the bar. Once the fork is away from the notch on the fork rail, you don't have to hold it up. When the fork is moved across a detent, it snaps back down and locks the fork loosely in place.

I've been wanting to make a little video about attaching the set to the tractor and adjusting the forks but just haven't been able to get to it.

As for calculating load limits depending on increasing the fork length, 42" forks would reduce the load limit for this frame to 1975 lbs and 48" forks would reduce it to 1725 lbs, by the numbers anyway. Of course, this doesn't necessarily apply unless the entire load is placed out on the tips which is why it is difficult for me to create hard numbers for limits.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What good do longer forks give you on smaller tractors? You can only lift so much and the farther away you get the harder it gets to lift?

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Hi Jer,

I guess this is yet another point that needs clarification that I had assumed was obvious. Thanks for pointing it out. The forks are detented by a spring pin. You pull the pin upward and slide the fork along the bar. Once the fork is away from the notch on the fork rail, you don't have to hold it up. When the fork is moved across a detent, it snaps back down and locks the fork loosely in place.

I've been wanting to make a little video about attaching the set to the tractor and adjusting the forks but just haven't been able to get to it.

As for calculating load limits depending on increasing the fork length, 42" forks would reduce the load limit for this frame to 1975 lbs and 48" forks would reduce it to 1725 lbs, by the numbers anyway. Of course, this doesn't necessarily apply unless the entire load is placed out on the tips which is why it is difficult for me to create hard numbers for limits.
Oh, OK. That makes sense, and is a really nice design choice.

-Jer.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Thanks for the numbers Chris. Even at 1,725 pounds, that's more than I can lift with my 420 loader at the pins, so I'd be content with 48" forks for that extra reach into the pickup bed or elsewhere.

The problem with designing and engineering anything is that it's impossible to account for every possible variable and contingency; but I can see some damn fool trying to make your life miserable because he/she thinks 48" forks will have the same lift capacity as 36" forks at the tips.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you and Kenny come up with.

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
Just to get an idea of how strong they are, take a look on his site at the picture of the guy with the boom pole attached to the forks lifting the ATV! The forks are even at the center position where the top rail is the weakest...

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to be clear, I had NO involvement in the forks whatsoever other than to help Chris with what loaders they would fit-They are 100% his idea, design, and build. This other thing is my idea, design and build-with some support from Chris. We have talked about other products, particularly grapples marketed for small CUT's but unfortunately we both have full time jobs and time is not on our side right now.
Ah, but sounds like you had your finger in the pie. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Just to get an idea of how strong they are, take a look on his site at the picture of the guy with the boom pole attached to the forks lifting the ATV! The forks are even at the center position where the top rail is the weakest...
I noticed that, it's impressive!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts