Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I thought I would share how I simply added a rubber edge to my AS10F snow pusher. I already had a good bit of used conveyor belt laying around so I didn't want to drop $180 on the kit just for the metal strap to hold it in place so just sandwiched what I had between the existing blade and mold board.

I dropped the shoes to the middle holes, grabbed some 2"x3/8" carriage bolts and reused the washers and nylock nuts.

While I haven't field tested it with real snow yet, I'm about 98% certain it'll work just fine. The only real difference is that it'll be a skosh longer than the OEM version so it'll flex back a bit, as the hinge point will be a little higher up. But this stuff is pretty rigid so I can't imagine it to be an issue. I used a similar setup with a rear blade with a much longer unsupported flap with no issues.


Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,859 Posts
Looks great!

I'll be interested to see pics of the results from clearing snow gives you the same squeegee effect with the pusher as what I get with my blade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great!

I'll be interested to see pics of the results from clearing snow gives you the same squeegee effect with the pusher as what I get with my blade.
It snowed a little last night, I'll go give it a shot and report back!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,354 Posts
I ordered 15' of 1"x8" 725psi rubber that is 1" thick for my CTA blade. That was almost 2 months ago and no sign of it shipping.. I suspect that by running on a pusher it is mainly riding on the shoes which will help but it may flex back in the middle. Here is a thought. What if you used large washers where that green bar is and move the bar back behind the rubber wear bar? That would support it a little better.

We don't have enough snow to bother with going out yet in it. I will just let it melt. I did pull my FEL and put the blade on and discovered I need to replace that 90 fitting on my angling cylinder again.. I hope to get it by the storm on Tuesday that they are talking about. That might be a plowable snow event for us.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,634 Posts
Nice job on the rubber edge. How far below the metal edge does the rubber hang? It's hard to tell in the image.

One suggestion from personal experience.....

Nylock nuts can become a problem over time with the crud which the blade gets into with road salt, snow melt, etc from near the road. I progressed the hardware range from Grade 5 with Nylocks to Stainless with and without Nylocks.

In the end, my choice is the cheap sheer bolt grade bolts with standard nuts and a flat washer and lock washer. Instead of having to fight the NYLOCKS which get corroded and harder to remove, Now I just take my impact and snap off each bolt, throw them away and replace them with new when I change my scraper edge.

Reusing the hardware isn't worth the hassle of trying to get it off the blade. Now, I 'Snap and Go"......which is the fastest and easiest.

You can buy a box of carriage bolts for $10, which is enough to change the cutting edge 2 or 3 times on my plow. In fact, I use regular bolts and put the extra length out on the front of the plow, its easier to snap off that way.......The front tends to clear, the back side and bottom tend to have ice build up.

Worst mistake I EVER made was using stainless bolts and nylocks. I couldn't get the bolts off easily as they stripped and I had a heck of a time cutting them off without a torch or plasma cutter, plus what it does to the finish.

Using the flat washer and lock washer, I haven't had any come loose. Just something to think about......
 
  • Like
Reactions: ateasegardens

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks great!

I'll be interested to see pics of the results from clearing snow gives you the same squeegee effect with the pusher as what I get with my blade.
Granted there wasn't a ton of snow, but I'm really happy with the results. I don't anticipate any issues with a heavier load as most that should be shouldered by the pusher itself.

If it does cause problems, I'll raise the shoes one notch to allow for more rubber below the shoes to push the load further up the edge. But I really don't think it's going to be an issue. At least until it wears. And then I can raise the shoes!

Sulley,

There's about 2" maybe a tiny bit more that sits below the pusher. I've seen your posts about hitting the right amount of exposed rubber so that if you do catch something it can bend back over it, but not so much it's flimsy. This is 1/2" used conveyor belt, you know the kind. It's pretty rigid so I think I've found the balance.

And I've also seen your posts about bolt types. These are just regular zinc carriage bolts so I'm thinking they'll just snap off. With that said, I don't plow anywhere near your volume. If I change this anytime in the next 5 years I'll be shocked. I put the same thing on a rear blade last year, used it almost exclusively and it didn't show hardly any wear.

But I think I'm really gonna dig this setup. It'll allow me to ditch the rear blade entirely, and use my ballast box. Which will exponentially improve maneuverability. Now for a back drag!


Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top