Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't normally do product reviews but this little ash vacuum has impressed me so much I felt I needed to share my impression of the product.

61ePzQThraL._SL1001_.jpg

Power Smith Ash Vacuum - purchased in December-17 on Amazon for $64.34. Today on Amazon it's $102.15. :unknown:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060EUA32/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I highly recommend it if you're in need of a vacuum "specifically designed to clean warm and cool ash out of fireplaces, wood stoves, pellet stoves, and barbeque grills".

Delivered Dec 18, 2017
Your package was delivered.
Track package
PowerSmith PAVC101 10 Amp Ash Vacuum
Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc.
Return eligible through Jan 31, 2018
$64.34
Condition: New
Buy it again

Purchased to clean the new pellet stove it does a fantastic job. No dust/ash in the air, the filtration is great. I went to clean/empty it this morning, the primary filter was loaded with ash that quickly fell off as I removed it. The secondary filter was spotless. I just closed it up again for an 'end of the season' cleaning.

The vacuum is fairly quiet, 79dB, and light weight, 10.67lbs. There's a carry handle and it rolls very nicely and come with a 16' cord.

IMG_5689.JPG

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5691.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
That primary filter looks like it does a great job,

better than the drywall dust bags I use on my shop vac for my ash cleanup. :good2:

Does the black band at the top get pinched at the vac barrel rim to hold it in place?

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That primary filter looks like it does a great job,

better than the drywall dust bags I use on my shop vac for my ash cleanup. :good2:

Does the black band at the top get pinched at the vac barrel rim to hold it in place?
Yes it does . . . The soft 'U' gasket on the primary filter goes over the metal tank. Then the 'U' channel around the top cover goes over the primary filter gasket. The top is clamped in place.

IMG_5693.JPG

I had cleaned ash out of the pellet stove twice so I though I should empty the tank or at least check it. Minimal ash and the primary filter seems to catch everything, no ash on the secondary or in the room. :thumbup1gif: . . . And the primary filter is washable.:bigthumb:

Missey just commented this morning as to how much less dust we have now compared to using wood stoves for 40 years.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Missey just commented this morning as to how much less dust we have now compared to using wood stoves for 40 years.
A friend of mine & his wife said the same thing when they finally switched to a coal stoker from a wood stove. She especially wanted no part of it and put off switching a number of years because she thought it would be dirtier. I felt sorry for the poor guy at his age and in his less than optimal physical condition (replaced hip & knee and bad back) cutting and splitting and stacking his wood. Finally switched when he had another surgery and they couldn't believe how much cleaner it is around the stove and house. They really like the thermostat control and its much easier for him handling the bags than the logs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
How is the suction? My ash vac works okay but the suction leaves a lot to be desired.
Ron
I received a PowerSmith for Christmas and I second the recommendation. It's an awesome little ash vac!

Suction is average. I don't need to lift a bowing ball with suction for fly ash and so far I'm very happy with it. Quiet, cleans up great, lots of attachments, small, light, excellent filtration setup all at a price that doesn't break the bank. I think as long as I keep the pre-filter clean, it should keep on performing like new.

Many, many inappropriate comments died during the authoring of the above paragraph on suction. :cray:

Matt

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is the suction? My ash vac works okay but the suction leaves a lot to be desired.
Ron
RonPol ~ I just went out and got the manual to see if there was any spec on the suction . . . none. I will say I'm please with the suction from the 10 amp motor. The canister is 3 gallons which I should have stated initially.

A friend of mine & his wife said the same thing when they finally switched to a coal stoker from a wood stove. She especially wanted no part of it and put off switching a number of years because she thought it would be dirtier. I felt sorry for the poor guy at his age and in his less than optimal physical condition (replaced hip & knee and bad back) cutting and splitting and stacking his wood. Finally switched when he had another surgery and they couldn't believe how much cleaner it is around the stove and house. They really like the thermostat control and its much easier for him handling the bags than the logs.

Titleist1 ~ Agree 100%. Cleaner and much much easier than wood logs. I used to cut, haul, unload, split, stack and haul finally into the garage for use. A lot of work and a lot of sweat. Dirt in the house is non-existent. A 40 lb bag or two a day . . . and controlled by a thermostat. The hopper on ours holds 80 lbs which was a big plus for me. We're very pleased.

IMG_5696.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts