Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This site has been a great source of information, but it now time to ask for help.

I have a JD 3046R with cab, loader, and fluid in tires that around 800 lbs. (if I recall correctly). I'm having a dealer put on a hydraulic top link for the 3PH and will be ordering a land plane to use on a farm lane on land we own. The road has been minimally maintained by the folks who farm the land so they can get their equipment in there. The first part of the road goes down to to a valley below where the farm ground is accessed. It is steep enough that there is a fair amount of wash out over time. A good portion of the rest of the road has become overgrown. After watching and reading about the "land plane versus box blade", I decided to purchase a land plane to try to get it in shape. There are places a box blade would probably be more appropriate but I decided on the land plane, even it takes more passes. If needed (meaning if I fail with the land plane), I'll get a box blade.

I've looked at Frontier and Land Pride but both are out 6+ months lead time. I've looked at (view videos, etc.) at the Everything Attachments which have a 3-4 month lead time that will work better for me. The 72" model comes in a heavier or lighter build. The heavier built 72" unit is approximately 760 lbs at $2375 and the lighter built 72" unit is about 560 lb at $1578. The quoted units both have the scarifier option.

Thoughts on the Everything Attachments Land Plane?
Will the tractor pull a 72" unit?
I'm assuming I will not need front ballast?
Am I on the right track with this?

I'm sure you can tell I'm not near as experienced as most on this site, so am hoping you might be able to provide input and guidance.

Jim

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I put this summary together a while back, might be helpful, might not.

I ended up ordering the EA 60" heavy duty for my 2032R. I didn't realize this when I bought it, but the blades are not adjustable under 1", meaning 1" is the minimum cutting depth, it's more difficult to finish the grade since you can't adjust it to just ride on the skids and cut off the peaks.

The EA is the best built attachment I own, it's in another league from the frontier units. I think your tractor would pull the 72" just fine; mine struggles when the plane is full going uphill, but other than that it works very well, just requires a bit of feathering at the end.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think the heavier 72" version would be just fine on a 3r. They run over 4k with a loader on, so they should have plenty of traction. You can always adjust the top link or lift some on the three point to reduce the bite.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@The Satch, I have a EA Wicked Root Grapple and I agree. I'm very impressed with the quality and the sturdiness of the EA unit.

Gents, do you think the 3046R would pull a 84" plane without problem, or would I be testing the limits? I've always been one to get as big or as much power as I can, but not sure that's the right way to make a decision on this one.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I don't know about an EA but you couldn't pull my 7 footer I made with a 3046. Let me rephrase that, you might pull it but you won't load it up and pull it.

Reactions: The Satch

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought a woods 84" with scarifiers, I have R4 tires, I can go down my driveway with no issues but if I am heading up my driveway, the minute I get into fluffier gravel that loads up the plane, it will just make the tires scratch and bounce, until I lift it up a bit. I did find a huge boulder in my woods that weighs prob 1000# that I grabbed with my grapple to add some weight to the front end, it would not spin as bad with that on the front of the tractor.

Glad I didn't buy the 96", I struggle with the 84" most of the time. I would not go over a 72"on a 3046r in my opinion if you have any sort of incline that you plan on driving UP with your plane.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
@The Satch, I have a EA Wicked Root Grapple and I agree. I'm very impressed with the quality and the sturdiness of the EA unit.

Gents, do you think the 3046R would pull a 84" plane without problem, or would I be testing the limits? I've always been one to get as big or as much power as I can, but not sure that's the right way to make a decision on this one.
I also wouldn't go up to the 84". I was very surprised at how heavy the 60" actually is, and I would not be surprised if it's significantly heavier than EA listed; the 2032R struggled to get it off the truck with pallet forks, and I lifted an implement that is spec'd as 100 pounds heavier with ease. It does a great job, and weight is what you want, so not upset about it, but I would think the 72" would be a great fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.