Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read some where that the pto shaft on a 1026R could be put into free-wheeling which makes it easier to install the implement driveline. My pto shaft will "freewheel" about 8 or 10 degrees which is normal-is there some way to increase this? I have my doubts but thought I'd ask anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
The PTO (mid or rear) will free wheel when NOT selected. So to have it freewheel select the Mid-PTO.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
There is a 540Rear / 540/2000 /. 2000mid position on the selector.

The brake only works on what is selected. When hooking up the rear put it to mid or 2000. When hooking up the mid put the selector to rear and the shaft will freewheel.:good2:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I read some where that the pto shaft on a 1026R could be put into free-wheeling which makes it easier to install the implement driveline. My pto shaft will "freewheel" about 8 or 10 degrees which is normal-is there some way to increase this? I have my doubts but thought I'd ask anyway.
If you want the mid-PTO to rotate put the switch into the rear-PTO only, and vice versa. I do this any time I'm hooking up something, especially when I'm hooking up to the auto-connect deck. It makes it much easier.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Maybe I am the oddball here but I find it very difficult to attach an implement driveshaft if the PTO stub is freewheeling. When it can freewheel it keeps turning as I rotate the driveshaft making it difficult to align the splines. By comparison, when the PTO stub cannot turn it makes it much easier to find the spot that the splines mesh by rotating the implement driveshaft.

My frame of reference is limited to attaching the front snow blower to the mid-PTO. The situation might be different with certain rear PTO implements.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Glad this got airplay again... Im sure I saw this somewhere here before and my point (yup, had one) it wasn't until I saw it on GTT that I learned this... Certainly not from the Users Manual where one would obviously go look for how to connect up implements, right? :lol: At least, not in my 2016 version- if it is i'll stand corrected, dunce cap et al.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've never seen a "John Deere Series 1 for Dummies" book...yet. Got to thinking last night after my post, after all the 'problems', 'discoveries' and 'mysteries' this forum has solved for each other (without help from Big Johnnie) perhaps we could officially pool our resources write one ourselves? Yes it's here in the archives, but still...:bigthumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts