Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at both for my property of 10 acres. One of my requirements is to tow and pull a boat or two out of a launch. The two boats in mind are 800 to 1200lbs in weight. Also like the idea of a box to haul things in. Width isn't an issue as I need to make new trails here so I'll make wide enough for a UTV or bigger.

Could an ATV safely pull a boat this heavy out of a Launch?

Currently testing a Yamaha grizzly 700. While it has tons of power, I question its ability to pull a boat out of a launch that is similar in weight. Plus I'm not sure it'll be the best choice for working around the yard.

Open to a UTV but I find most tight for leg room at 6'2. The prowler pro seems the most comfy.

If I go UTV, not many dealers here. Yamaha, Polaris, Prowler, Can Am and Deere are the most available and most reputable dealers.

Although Yamaha is my preference, their UTVs seem small for leg room and noisy. Prowler is really quiet but not sure of quality? Deere is not too comfy either. What about Can Am or Polaris are they decent?

Looking for opinions on UTV brands above to see what is reliable and good quality.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Being this is a John Deere forum, I will start out the recommendation with an 835 E, M, or R John Deere. I think you will find that there is plenty of leg room in the 835 series.
If you want a diesel, it would be an 865 E/M/R
They all have a 2000 pound tow rating.
Don't know much about the other brands.
I prefer dealing with John Deere dealers for parts and service vs Snowmobile/motor cycle dealers.

·
Premium Member
13,955 Posts
For me Honda Pioneer 700 they also make a 1000. The other day I had all the wood I could put in the bed rounded up almost to the top of the roll cage and 3 rows deep about 3" past the folded down tail gate. I was mid way up the hill behind the house when I loaded . Put it in drive and started up the hill no problem what so ever. The day before I had my 4' x7' trailer loaded down , and it pulled it with no problem.
I've towed several trailer loads of dirt and rocks behind it , :dunno: 17 or 1800 miles , been to the shop one time to have valves adjusted.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,724 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being this is a John Deere forum, I will start out the recommendation with an 835 E, M, or R John Deere. I think you will find that there is plenty of leg room in the 835 series.
If you want a diesel, it would be an 865 E/M/R
They all have a 2000 pound tow rating.
Don't know much about the other brands.
I prefer dealing with John Deere dealers for parts and service vs Snowmobile/motor cycle dealers.
The deere's are nice and I'd prefer one too but any I've been in my big feet are kind of cramped trying to control throttle. Would be even worse with boots on.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Get a side by side/UTV if you want to take passengers with you.

The main thing I do not like about my 1996 Kawasaki Mule is the pedals are centered and the front wheel wells take up too much front "foot space". You have to drive almost sitting sideways, unless you are alone.

When I bought there were very few choices that had four wheel drive.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
For me I have owned both a kubota x900 rtv and now the JD Gator 835M. The Gator is a very nice machine, I just not for sure how well the brakes would hold on an incline (emergency/parking brake). I haven't had any issues but I don't park on an incline like I assume you would when pulling a boat. Kubota was a very work capable machine, but of the two I am very glad I have the gator now. Seats are adjustable in the gator also.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
For use you are describing, the UTV makes the most sense.

Polaris was the industry leader in SXS market, and I believe they still are. The ranger is a great rig (and I'm not a Polaris fan).

Honda had the historic reputation, but they are relatively new to the sxs game.

JD and Kubota are great utility rigs, but far less on the "play" side, if you have interest in that.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,724 Posts
NorthernGreen, It just dawned on me, I think another issue is traction with either a UTV or a ATV.
With this load I ran out of traction before power.

Hay Wagon 1 20170923.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Looking at the angle of your hitch it would seem on a hard pull it would lift up on the rear tires. Might be a idea to see if you can make the hitch higher or the draw bar lower on the trailer? That is a pretty good size load of hay!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,724 Posts
Looking at the angle of your hitch it would seem on a hard pull it would lift up on the rear tires. Might be a idea to see if you can make the hitch higher or the draw bar lower on the trailer? That is a pretty good size load of hay!
Good point and good eye. :thumbup1gif:
The trailer is my neighbor's I was helping them out, their tractor broke down.

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Good point and good eye. :thumbup1gif:
The trailer is my neighbor's I was helping them out, their tractor broke down.
One time in California we tried to pull a small bull up into a tree to hang with my VW Baja. Each time it would lift the rear tires up at the end of the pull and I could not get it up the tree. Turned the VW around so the rear tires were not made light enough to spin and I pulled it right up the tree with the rope and pulley.

·
Registered
361 Posts

JD and Kubota are great utility rigs, but far less on the "play" side, if you have interest in that.
Have you looked at the RSX line of Gators?

They’re very capable on the “play side”

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Have you looked at the RSX line of Gators?

They’re very capable on the “play side”
Didn't say they weren't capable, but a Can-Am Commander vs a Gator, generally the gator is more utility and Can-Am is more play, IMO.

But I'm not in the sxs market, I like my ATV!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
The deere's are nice and I'd prefer one too but any I've been in my big feet are kind of cramped trying to control throttle. Would be even worse with boots on.
which Gators are you looking at?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Atvs will fit into places that a utv won’t fit. But they can’t haul as much as a utv.

1,000 lbs towing is about all the larger atvs can safely tow. Some utv’s can tow 2,500.

If you plan on working the machine hard , Honda or kubota as they don’t use belts.

Pretty much everything Honda makes is very dependable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
825i

I can only speak about your size questions. I have an 825i, I am 6'8" tall 275 pounds, and have size 14 feet. Size inside the cab is not anymore of a problem than I have with other vehicles. A little tight around the pedals but nothing unusual.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can only speak about your size questions. I have an 825i, I am 6'8" tall 275 pounds, and have size 14 feet. Size inside the cab is not anymore of a problem than I have with other vehicles. A little tight around the pedals but nothing unusual.
I'll have another look at the deeres. You're much taller than I! Pedals is where I am uncomfortable most on the utvs I looked at. My 14s get cramped using the pedals.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Well I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here. I've had atv's and utv's. The utv is hands down better for utility work and companion inclusion. Atv's have there place also for sport riding and close quarters. It all depends on your priorty's and needs. I just picked up a used Gator 825i to replace my Arctic cat Prowler. The Prowler will run circles around the gator in the rough twisty nasty hill stuff. When it comes time to haul corn to my feeders,fertilizer, or wood and such the Gator reigns supreme, this thing is built solid. I will lodge a complaint against the Gator though. I'm not crazy about the 4 wheel drive only kicking in when the rears are already spinning, dumm! I could engage the Prowler 4wd before I needed it and could actually diff lock it too! It would go anywhere. All in all at my age and the uses I need, the Gator wins. My days rippin up the off road trails are over. The Gator is not a sport riding machine. These are just my opinions.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts