Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1026r and mid mower with auto connect and hyd. lift. My issue is the auto connect is angled too far down to engage the mower spline. I have the bolt adjusted out to it's full length and it's still not level to engage the mower spline. I've ordered some longer bolts which will bring it up to level, but there must be something else out of adjustment. However, I can't figure out what. Everything looks OK. I shouldn't have to put a longer bolt in. Does anyone else have this issue or suggestions?

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
Are you talking about this bolt?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470219844.178928.jpg

It's a pretty long bolt. Do you have the right one? Is the tab it contacts broken off or bent?

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
Can you provide a few pics? I suspect something other than the bolt is causing your issue. Perhaps something else is installed incorrectly.

Did this just happen? Did something break?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you provide a few pics? I suspect something other than the bolt is causing your issue. Perhaps something else is installed incorrectly.

Did this just happen? Did something break?
I won't have any pictures for a day or 2 (need to do some mowing). Nothing is broken, that I can see. If something is installed wrong, the dealer did it, but everything looks OK. The "pins" on the lift are at the correct height to engage the mower but the "quick coupler" is angled down too far. I don't remember for sure but I think this has been this way from day one.
Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
If it's been this way since day one, I'd be talking to the dealer. Something wasn't installed correctly would be my guess. You and your tractor deserve to be setup and adjusted correctly. You should not need a longer bolt.

If you choose to do this yourself, we can help. Just post a few detailed pictures of your Auto-Connect mechanism in the install position without the mower. This way we can see everything and how it's been put together. :good2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's been this way since day one, I'd be talking to the dealer. Something wasn't installed correctly would be my guess. You and your tractor deserve to be setup and adjusted correctly. You should not need a longer bolt.

If you choose to do this yourself, we can help. Just post a few detailed pictures of your Auto-Connect mechanism in the install position without the mower. This way we can see everything and how it's been put together. :good2:
I'll get some pictures in a day or 2 and post them. Is it possible that the 2 (4) slotted straps ( LVU29616 Strap 4 ) are installed wrong?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Make sure the PTO shaft is lubricated (there is a zerk). It slides in and out and if it gets bound up it could affect the position of the auto connect. At the same time, grease the universal joints on the PTO shaft. And be 100% sure the PTO coupler is locked when you reconnect the PTO shaft to the tractor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure the PTO shaft is lubricated (there is a zerk). It slides in and out and if it gets bound up it could affect the position of the auto connect. At the same time, grease the universal joints on the PTO shaft. And be 100% sure the PTO coupler is locked when you reconnect the PTO shaft to the tractor.
Thanks, I will check that out.
Also, my wife reminded me that this problem wasn't always this way. So, maybe something "got loose" or I messed it up somehow!?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I had the front four of the six bolts that attach the coupler to the arms come loose on mine, lost a couple of them. When I put things back together with low strength Loctite I coupled to the deck (by hand) with all the bolts loose and tightened them in this position. Then I adjusted the long bolt to have a small gap to the plate and Loctited it. Problems solved. Not a lot of room under there with that method but just putting bolts back in hanging I had the same issue you described.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Is the deck sitting flat on the ground or are the deck wheels keeping it up off the ground?

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the deck sitting flat on the ground or are the deck wheels keeping it up off the ground?
I put the deck on and off with it sitting on the concrete floor of my barn with the deck wheels raised as high as they will go. I have an old piece of indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor so I don't scrape the deck. It actually helps keep the deck from skidding when you drive up on it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I put the deck on and off with it sitting on the concrete floor of my barn with the deck wheels raised as high as they will go. I have an old piece of indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor so I don't scrape the deck. It actually helps keep the deck from skidding when you drive up on it.

When you say, raised as high as they go, do you mean that the wheels are raised and then locked in place? OR, do you mean that the wheels are free to travel all the way up so the deck is sitting flat on the floor, with no wheels holding it up?

The deck should be on the ground/floor. The locking levers on all 4 guide wheels should be flipped up so the wheels are free to travel...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you say, raised as high as they go, do you mean that the wheels are raised and then locked in place? OR, do you mean that the wheels are free to travel all the way up so the deck is sitting flat on the floor, with no wheels holding it up?

The deck should be on the ground/floor. The locking levers on all 4 guide wheels should be flipped up so the wheels are free to travel...
The wheels are free to travel, however if you hold the wheels up as high as they go and let the locking pin contact the shaft, it will keep them from touching the floor (about 1/2" clearance from the wheel to the floor).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Have you checked the mechanical lift that is connected to the rock shaft? your 3 bolts may have come loose and the arms may be going too low. You will have to remove the left wheel to check. If they have moved you have to slide all the way back and tighten, I use an impact when I tighten them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread. I got lucky today. My adjustment bolt fell off and the auto connect carrier bearing fell down while I was looking at the lock tabs getting ready to back the rest of the way off the mower. I was examining the spacing to the ground on my quick hitch attachment and have found that immediately after I disengage from the mower lock tabs I need to raise the lift arms slightly or the quick hitch digs in the ground slightly. The carrier bearing fell on the rod for the mower locks and would have torn stuff up if I hadn't caught it. To bad JD doesn't use nylock nuts or thread lock on more items like this. This is about the 4th item where the nuts or bolts have vibrated loose.

·
Premium Member
14,923 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread. I got lucky today. My adjustment bolt fell off and the auto connect carrier bearing fell down while I was looking at the lock tabs getting ready to back the rest of the way off the mower. I was examining the spacing to the ground on my quick hitch attachment and have found that immediately after I disengage from the mower lock tabs I need to raise the lift arms slightly or the quick hitch digs in the ground slightly. The carrier bearing fell on the rod for the mower locks and would have torn stuff up if I hadn't caught it. To bad JD doesn't use nylock nuts or thread lock on more items like this. This is about the 4th item where the nuts or bolts have vibrated loose.

Agree but, it would be nice if we were all perfect, and the mechanic remembered to tighten the nuts after setting up the autoconnect.

Have owned two different tractors with autoconnect and have not had one to work loose each spring when checking the mower before mowing for the season. :dunno:

:munch:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
[/B]
[/B]

Agree but, it would be nice if we were all perfect, and the mechanic remembered to tighten the nuts after setting up the autoconnect.

Have owned two different tractors with autoconnect and have not had one to work loose each spring when checking the mower before mowing for the season. :dunno:

:munch:
Mine fell apart...couple of the bolts weren't long enough to properly penetrate the nylon in the nylock nuts either. Loctite to the rescue. Most definitely periodic inspection of fasteners is required on this type equipment, but I check frequently after my failure.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Problem solved

Thanks to all of you who replied to my "problem", it gave me the things I needed to look at.
I finally got around to taking the deck off and inspecting the quick connect. All of the 6 bolts holding the bearing were somewhat loose. I used a wooden spacer under the nose of the bearing to the floor to get the same centerline height of the deck spline and then tightened all the bolts. I reinstalled the 10mm adjustment screw and "fine tuned" the centerline height to match the deck and now all is well.
I have no idea why the bolts got loose but I guess I need to check that once and awhile.
Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Thanks to all of you who replied to my "problem", it gave me the things I needed to look at.
I finally got around to taking the deck off and inspecting the quick connect. All of the 6 bolts holding the bearing were somewhat loose. I used a wooden spacer under the nose of the bearing to the floor to get the same centerline height of the deck spline and then tightened all the bolts. I reinstalled the 10mm adjustment screw and "fine tuned" the centerline height to match the deck and now all is well.
I have no idea why the bolts got loose but I guess I need to check that once and awhile.
Thanks again to everyone.
Those are the ones I Loctited.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts