Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been trying to figure out why my auto connect deck is so rattly sounding at low speeds and from you guys found that it is considered pretty normal. Anyways, I had completely removed the deck and so I put the PTO lever in the rear only position so I could turn the mower PTO easily and so I reached under there and turned the short auto-connect driveshaft that connects to the PTO. The rear portion of it has a female square hole in it that recieves a square front shaft about 5"-6" inchs. When I rotate that shaft, the female portion goes up and down I bet 1/8". It is like when they machined the square hole in back half of that driveshaft, they didn't get it centered. Have any of you guys checked yours to see if it runs true or goes up and down. It seems like that up and down would cause a vibration that could cause the auto-connect to rattle kinda like a tire out of balance. Does that make sense or is it too small of a diameter to cause a vibration?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Off subject for just a second:: Someone had mentioned how sloppy the shaft fits in those scissor brackets that hold the auto-connect and I looked at mine and they really are pretty sloppy. The same guy said that he removed his scissor brackets and elongated the back two holes so he could make them fit tighter on the shaft and that seems like a really good idea. Even just lifting it up and down by hand makes a pretty loud metal to metal sound, so if it is shaking around with the deck running, I could see it making a lot of racket!

·
Administrator
20,737 Posts
Off subject for just a second:: Someone had mentioned how sloppy the shaft fits in those scissor brackets that hold the auto-connect and I looked at mine and they really are pretty sloppy. The same guy said that he removed his scissor brackets and elongated the back two holes so he could make them fit tighter on the shaft and that seems like a really good idea. Even just lifting it up and down by hand makes a pretty loud metal to metal sound, so if it is shaking around with the deck running, I could see it making a lot of racket!
I used zip ties to silence that rattle. It worked, but didn't quiet the deck rattle down as much as I had hoped for. I think there are several factors/items participating in the noise making.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used zip ties to silence that rattle. It worked, but didn't quiet the deck rattle down as much as I had hoped for. I think there are several factors/items participating in the noise making.
Yep, sounds like there is a gang fight going on under there and they all are using metal nun-chucks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts