Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I traded in the old 1026r for a new 1025R and ordered the 3rd SCV kit with it. And the AV20F grapple. I may have taken some creative liberties with the word "need' when ordering all this. But I've already put it to good use and love it!

This 3rd SCV kit is definitely the way to go if you're buying a new machine IMO. Rolled into the 0% financing with installation at the dealer is $1250. For comparison, the Artillian diverter kit is $824 shipped and you install it yourself. So for an extra $400, you get a much more versatile and clean install without lifting a finger. The 3rd SCV can also be used for a snow plow angle, hydraulic top link, or any other hydraulic implement. The quick connect is located to the side near the fuel filter. So it can easily be used for a rear implement too. It is not tied to the loader or way up front like a diverter kit. The it comes with the hydraulic lines up to the front of the loader too though.

The AV20F grapple is great so far. I've never owned a grapple so I can't compare it to an artillian or any other brand. It is definitely one of if not the lightest weight option out there. For a small subcompact tractor, that's a big deal IMO. It cost $1350, and was also rolled into the 0% financing.

I've already moved around a bunch of crap I had laying around the yard. I started tearing out old shrubs and weeds. Ripped out one of the two horseshoe pits I don't use. Building up the burn pile larger and larger. Makes very fast work of everything. Now I can see why everyone who has a grapple loves them.

This fall, I will probably add a hydraulic angle cylinder to my loader mounted snow plow and use the 3rd SCV for that. I may also get a hydraulic top link for the 3 point.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
I like the setup. It looks nice and clean. I also like how its co trolled on tje same lever. Ive never used a grapple except on a skid steer but I like the looks of that. Im sure eventually Ill have one just not yet. Thanks for the pictures and info!

·
Registered
692 Posts
So that’s a 3rd scv controlled electronically buy a push button on joystick like a diverter? I thought all 3rd scv we’re operated by a lever for hydraulics and all diverters were controlled electronically. That’s cleanest setup I’ve seen. Really like where the bracket is so that it can be used for front or rear hydraulics. When you remove your loader is it just the extra 2 hydraulic lines you disconnect or do you have to unplug any wires. It’s a very interesting setup. By far my favorite I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
So that’s a 3rd scv controlled electronically buy a push button on joystick like a diverter? I thought all 3rd scv we’re operated by a lever for hydraulics and all diverters were controlled electronically. That’s cleanest setup I’ve seen. Really like where the bracket is so that it can be used for front or rear hydraulics. When you remove your loader is it just the extra 2 hydraulic lines you disconnect or do you have to unplug any wires. It’s a very interesting setup. By far my favorite I have seen.

I was going to ask the same thing. Normally they are more like toggle switch and you select if you want the grapple function or dump/curl. Not sure on how this works but it looks really clean.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
So how do you like your Model 3?

A coworker has been happy with his. He had it in to the shop for a few days and had a S for a loaner but said he liked the 3 better.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It not a diverter. It's an electrically operated SCV. Push the up button, the 3rd SCV opens in the up position. Push the down button, the 3rd SCV opens in the down position. Totally separate and independent of the other two SCVs for the loader/dump.

A diverter is an electrically operated valve that switches a single existing hydraulic circuit between two devices (dump and grapple is the usual).

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
It not a diverter. It's an electrically operated SCV. Push the up button, the 3rd SCV opens in the up position. Push the down button, the 3rd SCV opens in the down position. Totally separate and independent of the other two SCVs for the loader/dump.

A diverter is an electrically operated valve that switches a single existing hydraulic circuit between two devices (dump and grapple is the usual).
Yeah that is what I was thinking when I was reading your description. How quick is it to operate compared to a normal "Analog" :laugh: SCV?

Can you swap your hoses around to use the joystick for grapple and the electronic one for dump/curl? That might be tricky to get used to but I wonder which way would be more efficient?

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is immediate full hydraulic flow when you push the buttons. I actually just ordered a $4 flow restrictor and some quick connects from KennyD to slow it down.

You could swap it around so the 3rd SCV buttons control the dump. But I think that would be very difficult to operate since you won't have any control over how fast it dumps. I'm actually not sure the hoses would even reach to do that.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
It is immediate full hydraulic flow when you push the buttons. I actually just ordered a $4 flow restrictor and some quick connects from KennyD to slow it down.

You could swap it around so the 3rd SCV buttons control the dump. But I think that would be very difficult to operate since you won't have any control over how fast it dumps. I'm actually not sure the hoses would even reach to do that.
For dump that might not matter much but I can see that being an issue when you are trying to level the bucket or jaws to scoop up more. I was just curious how it operated if it is a button for open/close and it is full flow which is sounds like it is, or more of an analog style where you can slowly move it like you can with a lever.

I guess the only bad thing I can think of is if you were trying to gently grab something. Thinking back to when the excavator was pulling up my sidewalk, he used the thumb to try and hold the cement slab in the bucket but a couple times grabbed it too hard and it broke. I don't think it would be a big issue but you don't have a ton of slow control short of maybe dropping RPM.

I still think I like that better than the diverter option though. It would be easier to use and like you said, can be used on the rear as well.

Reactions: DanW

·
Registered
692 Posts
So it’s a true 3rd function. I have always heard that was not possible on these small machines is why everyone went with the diverter. That is leaps and bounds better in my opinion but your the only person I have ever seen with it. Can you get us some more info as far as part numbers for what you ordered?

Reactions: IndianaJim

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
So it’s a true 3rd function. I have always heard that was not possible on these small machines is why everyone went with the diverter. That is leaps and bounds better in my opinion but your the only person I have ever seen with it. Can you get us some more info as far as part numbers for what you ordered?

This is a start. Not sure if it is the full kit.

John Deere Selective Control Valve - BLV11143

That is the part number listed when you do a build of a 1025R on JD website.

EDIT: I was looking if you can get it for the 2025R since it is pretty much the same thing. You can but it had these notes.

3rd Function Selective Control Valve Option Code : BLV11156
Select Dealer for Price

Mid-mounted valve required for 3rd function loader applications. Requires Loader bundle BXX10210 (Third Function Hydraulic Kit) for sue with grapple bucket, 4 in 1 bucket and/or front blade. Not compatible with BLV10933 (Independent mower lift system).. If using with independent mower lift, also order BLV11115. Please reference the compatibility matrix located on the Value Selling Navigator for additional parts that might be needed.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks. Sweet setup!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
These are the first really good images of the setup, but they detail exactly what my dealer told me when I ordered it for my 2025r (which has yet to be delivered). In addition to the grapple I plan on using the 3rd scv to power a chute deflector in the winter. No wires, no delicate actuators, and all from the comfort of a mauser cab.

My sell sheet shows a 3rd function SCV and a "third function hydraulic kit" for the loader.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the same model of grapple and the same 3rd scv on my 4066R. I would offer a couple tips that might save you some head aches later.

1. If you aren't using the 3rd scv and grapple, briefly actuate the 3rd scv at least once during the day that you are on your tractor. Do this to keep the scv from getting stuck. I had not used my grapple for a few months and went to press the button that actuates the 3rd scv and nothing happened. I found out these things get stuck if not used often. I was lucky mine finally started working, now I push the button each day I use my tractor (if not grappling). This does dead-head the hydraulics when there is no grapple attached, but it is too brief to harm your hydraulics.

2. When you remove the grapple from the FEL and disconnect the grapple hoses - take one end of one of the hoses coming from the grapple, and wrap a cloth around it and push the tip of the hydraulic connector against a hard metal object. This will release hydro fluid and pressure on the grapple cylinder (be careful - use a rag to catch the stream). If you don't release the pressure, when you try to reconnect the hoses, you will not be able to connect them because thermal expansion will cause super high pressure. Be sure to do this when the grapple is safely parked on the ground.

IMG_2137.JPG

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are the first really good images of the setup, but they detail exactly what my dealer told me when I ordered it for my 2025r (which has yet to be delivered). In addition to the grapple I plan on using the 3rd scv to power a chute deflector in the winter. No wires, no delicate actuators, and all from the comfort of a mauser cab.

My sell sheet shows a 3rd function SCV and a "third function hydraulic kit" for the loader.

The loader kit is the hydraulic lines and hoses that are actually attached to the loader. And the SCV kit is the what is actually on the tractor with the mid-mounted ports. They're separate because you can buy the 3rd SCV not even for anything to do with the loader.

I have the same model of grapple and the same 3rd scv on my 4066R. I would offer a couple tips that might save you some head aches later.

1. If you aren't using the 3rd scv and grapple, briefly actuate the 3rd scv at least once during the day that you are on your tractor. Do this to keep the scv from getting stuck. I had not used my grapple for a few months and went to press the button that actuates the 3rd scv and nothing happened. I found out these things get stuck if not used often. I was lucky mine finally started working, now I push the button each day I use my tractor (if not grappling). This does dead-head the hydraulics when there is no grapple attached, but it is too brief to harm your hydraulics.

2. When you remove the grapple from the FEL and disconnect the grapple hoses - take one end of one of the hoses coming from the grapple, and wrap a cloth around it and push the tip of the hydraulic connector against a hard metal object. This will release hydro fluid and pressure on the grapple cylinder (be careful - use a rag to catch the stream). If you don't release the pressure, when you try to reconnect the hoses, you will not be able to connect them because thermal expansion will cause super high pressure. Be sure to do this when the grapple is safely parked on the ground.
Excellent tips. Thanks! Would it be wise, unwise, or indifferent to connect the hoses on the grapple together to keep them clean?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just keep a can of carburetor cleaner on hand. Spray the connectors with the carb cleaner before you connect them and you will be fine. The hose connectors from the grapple are male and can be easily wiped clean with a rag, but the female connectors on the tractor fel get filthy. The carb cleaner works well.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just keep a can of carburetor cleaner on hand. Spray the connectors with the carb cleaner before you connect them and you will be fine. The hose connectors from the grapple are male and can be easily wiped clean with a rag, but the female connectors on the tractor fel get filthy. The carb cleaner works well.
I just ordered a set of Kenny's dust caps to protect them both.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Another tip to relieve any hydraulic pressure on the 3rd SCV. Similar to the way you move the joystick with the engine off to release pressure from the loader lines before detaching them, turn on the switch so you have power to the 3rd SCV solenoid then operate the button on the joystick, both up and down, and that relieves the pressure on those lines before detaching whatever is connected to the 3rd SCV.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The loader kit is the hydraulic lines and hoses that are actually attached to the loader. And the SCV kit is the what is actually on the tractor with the mid-mounted ports. They're separate because you can buy the 3rd SCV not even for anything to do with the loader.

Excellent tips. Thanks! Would it be wise, unwise, or indifferent to connect the hoses on the grapple together to keep them clean?
Is that possible with your grapple?? Usually implements mike this have two male connections and the tractor has two female.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Which item comes with the joystick. Or is that a 3rd part. One part is what attaches to loader arms. The other is the scv that attaches to tractor. Is the joystick a separate part or does it come with the part that attaches to loader? Or does it come together since it’s called a 3rd function scv not just a scv? Best i can figure the grapple is $1350 and the parts to make it work are about $1250. So about $2600? Am I understanding right?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts