Green Tractor Talk banner

axle problems on 3x20 series

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  dschuffert 
Was thinking about venting the axle via a very small hole drilled thru the plastic dip stick / filler plug. Might use a dab of candle wax as a safety seal.
Could this void the warranty?
I would ask an JD service manager before you make any modification. IMO if the wax falls out or deteriorates you now have a open port to allow contamination...ie water

I vented mine. I drilled the top of the dipstick to take a 1/8" pipe thread with a 1/4" hose barb fitting. ran 1/4" black fuel line up under the hood and put a cheap fuel filter on the end to keep dirt out.

haven't had any wheel seal issues since.

and if you have any warranty issues just take this off and buy a new dipstick ahead of time to swap out if needed.

sometimes what they don't know don't hurt them.......
What about moisture?? Doesn't a fuel filter allow the passage of fluids?? If you feel the need the vent your differentials- shouldn't you consider a one way check valve?

what moisture?? i have it way up by the air filter for the engine.

and a one way valve isn't the best because when your differential cools down, some air needs to get back in or your essentially sucking your wheel seals in.

Really? I have never heard of this??

So cant your "fuel filter" still suck moisture or water vapor- regardless of the location??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.