Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a JD X585. The battery is not located in a convenient spot. Can I connect a battery tender to the accessory outlet to back-feed the battery? If not, does anyone have any other (more convenient) connection points to suggest I use for this purpose? Thanks!

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
You can absolutely hook up a tender through an always hot accessory port or even wire up your own. All of my equipment have pigtails for external battery tenders. It’s one of the first things I install.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Not familiar with your tractor, but if the battery isn't handy how hard is it to reach the battery connection at the starter solenoid? If that's convenient its almost as good as putting the charger clips on the battery post as long as the battery post connections are clean and tight, and the cables aren't corroded.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
On a hookup like the one you are proposing, it's a good idea to have a fuse at both ends. Since the battery and battery tender are both energy sources, you want to be able to shut off either source in the event of a short in the connecting line.

Keane

·
Registered
J.D 2038r
523 Posts
When I had my last Harley Davidson I bought a tender from Harley that came with a choice of alligator clips or a plug that could be wired to the battery and left on the bike .
I still have it and use it on my J.D.155D lawn tractor.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Yes. I made a pigtail to plug my battery tender into the lighter plug socket for convenience.

·
Registered
27,551 Posts
You can absolutely hook up a tender through an always hot accessory port or even wire up your own. All of my equipment have pigtails for external battery tenders. It’s one of the first things I install.
Same here.

Just take the time to install a pigtail then it’s simple to hook up the tender any time you want.

Bicycle part Font Auto part Tool Bicycle handlebar

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Most tenders come with the "permanent" wire on cable/plug.. I have that on all my equipment. Makes connecting very convenient.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I was thinking the OP was talking about hooking it up to the cigarette lighter port. They do make those. I don’t know how well they work?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Yep those pigtail connections are the ticket. I believe you can buy them separately and have them on everything.

Reactions: tj1 and jgayman

·
Premium Member
17,080 Posts
I was thinking the OP was talking about hooking it up to the cigarette lighter port. They do make those. I don’t know how well they work?
Most battery tenders/maintainers come with alligator clamps for temporary attachment and wire loops for permanently attaching to the battery. You can also purchase a cigarette lighter plug adapter. As long as the cigarette lighter / power port has continuity to the battery with the key off it will work just fine.

Automotive lighting Cable Wire Auto part Electronic device

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
This thread made me annoyed with the alligator clamps and lighter plugs. So I just ordered two hardwire eyelet harnesses for the tractor and generator. So I can just plug the charger/maintainer in as needed instead of winging it.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
On my x485, I clip on the positive cable at the starter solenoid (move the red cover to the side) and negative to a bolt head on the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Put the quick connect pigtails on my generator and tractor. So now I can just plug the battery tender in when I want to, rather than using alligator clamps or backwards lighter plugs. For the tractor, I connected the pigtail at the alternator since it was 297% easier than getting to the battery, which would also have required a longer wire.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Bumper

Green Motor vehicle Organism Terrestrial plant Grass

1 - 16 of 16 Posts