Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 370B BH on my 3038E and have noticed some steering issues like the front end is a little light. The loader is on and it has fluid filled tires. I am assuming the front tires are filled as well because of the metal valve stems but there are times when I turn the wheel but the tractor keeps going straight. Do I need to add front ballast ? And can you put a front weight bracket on a tractor with a loader. I searched Green parts for front wheel weights with no results for my model.

I was planning on leaving the BH on most of the time, for rear ballast, unless I was doing grading work on the driveway but now I am second guessing myself. Is it too much weight on the back adding wear and tear to the tractor ? Any thoughts from you BH owners ?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
First thought is you're in 4WD.

Reactions: Xesike

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
485 BH on a JD4500. The backhoe really makes the rear squat and stick to the ground. Not noticed any "light front end" issues with BH on.

I'd play around with adding weight into the loader bucket to see how much is needed to plant the front end. Then figure out how to add it. Could be you don't need much to counter the wheelie effect.

Front wheel weights tend to be rare on compact tractors. Since the front axle pivots in the center, front wheel weight do nothing regarding stability (tilts). I doubt the front wheels are filled, mine are not.

·
Registered
2021 4044R CAB, Frontier L.R, Frontier R.F.M., FX110 winch, Frontier R.B., Frontier P.F., C-Line PHD
206 Posts
I have my 370B BH on my 3038E and have noticed some steering issues like the front end is a little light. The loader is on and it has fluid filled tires. I am assuming the front tires are filled as well because of the metal valve stems but there are times when I turn the wheel but the tractor keeps going straight. Do I need to add front ballast ? And can you put a front weight bracket on a tractor with a loader. I searched Green parts for front wheel weights with no results for my model.

I was planning on leaving the BH on most of the time, for rear ballast, unless I was doing grading work on the driveway but now I am second guessing myself. Is it too much weight on the back adding wear and tear to the tractor ? Any thoughts from you BH owners ?
I had a 2018 3025e with a 300e loader and 370b backhoe rolling on the larger R4 tire option. I used it for some pretty heavy duty earth work without and with liquid ballast in the rear tires. In both instances, I don't recall steering issues on mostly flat ground or going down hill. I will say the machine felt more "planted to the ground" as a whole once filling the rears to 75% with Rim Guard. Headed up a steep grade bucket first with the backhoe on could occasionally make the front a touch light, which a scoop of dirt/rocks/stone etc. would remedy but I expect that behavior with any piece of equipment that has a heavy mass like a backhoe hanging off the back. I agree with an above post, 4WD will change the steering ability and feel of the machine, but I wouldn't think enough to make it so you "go straight" when trying to turn?..

--What I had an off an on problem with would though. From day 1, I had intermittent issues with the posi-trac being stuck on. When the diff is locked, it's hard to get the machine to do anything other than go straight. It never made it to the level of "having to go to the dealer for a warranty claim", but an occasional issue that was mostly a minor annoyance requiring me to go forward and backwards a few times to unlock the diff.

·
Registered
2021 3025e TLB
8 Posts
I had a 2018 3025e with a 300e loader and 370b backhoe rolling on the larger R4 tire option. I used it for some pretty heavy duty earth work without and with liquid ballast in the rear tires. In both instances, I don't recall steering issues on mostly flat ground or going down hill. I will say the machine felt more "planted to the ground" as a whole once filling the rears to 75% with Rim Guard. Headed up a steep grade bucket first with the backhoe on could occasionally make the front a touch light, which a scoop of dirt/rocks/stone etc. would remedy but I expect that behavior with any piece of equipment that has a heavy mass like a backhoe hanging off the back. I agree with an above post, 4WD will change the steering ability and feel of the machine, but I wouldn't think enough to make it so you "go straight" when trying to turn?..

--What I had an off an on problem with would though. From day 1, I had intermittent issues with the posi-trac being stuck on. When the diff is locked, it's hard to get the machine to do anything other than go straight. It never made it to the level of "having to go to the dealer for a warranty claim", but an occasional issue that was mostly a minor annoyance requiring me to go forward and backwards a few times to unlock the diff.
I have noticed this same issue with my 3025e. Randomly the diff seems to stay locked. If you use the brakes once or twice it usually unlocks right away, if not a few second of driving and it will release. Not a huge issue, but sometimes it can make you nervous in a tight spot!

·
Registered
3046R with 385a, 320R.
1,116 Posts
3046R with a 385 BH. I do notice the same effects you do when turning on the grass with a slight uphill incline when exiting my compost area. The front does push at times if I try to move too quickly. I do attribute this to the BH weight, slight incline and less front weight. I have learned to live with it as this is the only time I sense any pushing with the BH on.

·
Super Moderator
10,516 Posts
Years ago I put a #10 BH on my 1070 which was compatible with the #8 backhoe. The #10 BH was significantly heavier than the #8 and my front end was very light. I loaded the front tires and flat mounted a few slab weights on the front frame bracket and that solved the problem. Probably had an additional 400# out front to counterbalance the rig.

That #10 was quite a digger!

Reactions: PJR832 and Xesike

·
Registered
2021 4044R CAB, Frontier L.R, Frontier R.F.M., FX110 winch, Frontier R.B., Frontier P.F., C-Line PHD
206 Posts
I have noticed this same issue with my 3025e. Randomly the diff seems to stay locked. If you use the brakes once or twice it usually unlocks right away, if not a few second of driving and it will release. Not a huge issue, but sometimes it can make you nervous in a tight spot!
I had the highest incidents of the dif-lock getting stuck when I was going from dirt to pavement and back again shuttling material. It was a real pain on pavement if the lock was stuck on, would drag one wheel and make steering pretty much impossible. Was remedied by going backwards and forwards quickly whilst feathering the brakes. Eventually you'd feel it disengage then back to BAU. It was less likely to happen on dirt/mud/gravel, although when it did it would make turning a fair bit harder, even in 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all of the responses. I will try some of your suggestions.

Maineiac, besides doing the back and forward. Is there a way to check if diff lock is stuck on? Not sure that this is the issue but it will not hurt to check.

I will also verify that the fronts are loaded, like I originally posted, they did put the metal valve stems on all 4 tires but that doesn't mean the dealer actually filled them. And if they are not, they will be. lol And if they are filled , I need to find another solution besides carrying something in the bucket for extra weight. Only 10 acres of the 40 we have is flat so I need a more permanent solution to add some weight to the front.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Easy way to check the diff lock since you have a BH - Make sure you're not in MWFD, lower the bucket/block the front wheels, put the BH stabilizers out and raise both rear wheels off the ground with them. With the tractor in N - Turn one rear wheel by hand. If both wheels turn opposite directions, it's not locked. If they turn the same direction the diff lock is on.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Another way to determine if differential is locked or not is to drive straight forward and press one brake pedal, let's say right, firmly. Engine will probably labor some, but if tractor heads to the right, differential NOT locked. If tractor goes straight, differential IS locked.

I'm not familiar with the 3038 and assuming 2 brake pedals! Bob

·
Registered
2021 3025e TLB
8 Posts
Another way to determine if differential is locked or not is to drive straight forward and press one brake pedal, let's say right, firmly. Engine will probably labor some, but if tractor heads to the right, differential NOT locked. If tractor goes straight, differential IS locked.

The 3e series only has a single brake pedal unfortunately. It’s a shame because I use the heck out of the twin pedals on my old 8n, it will steer you no matter what the front wheels are doing!

Reactions: Xesike

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Nope, one brake. But thanks !!

Reactions: rwmeyer
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.