Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , maybe silly question to some of you but here goes.
I've recently been learning to operate my tractor and more specifically the 260 back hoe. My question is, When digging trench say between 2 buildings, how do you straddle/get across the trench at the end? Do I need to turn around and meet somewhere in between and then "lift" the tractor over the ditch with the hoe?. Do I just get as close as I can digging "swung over " at the between point??
I thought about this as I started digging thinking it would come to me. At one point I got off and stood there apparently talking to myself and my wife says "what are you doing" so I said," I am wondering, how do you suppose when I get to the end that I get the tractor back across the ditch?"
She made some sound effect and looked at me funny. I thought it was a good question and one I should have an answer to before I get there.
Looking forward to your feed back on this.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'd probably dig from the side when it came time. But because you can't dig a straight line sitting sideways, your trench will look a little sloppy in that area. A couple of well placed 2 x 12's would get you out of a pinch and using the hoe to lift you over would require practice before you attempt it. I've been practicing loading and unloading from the trailer without ramps. I'll post a video when I get better at it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd really recommend the book "Operating techniques for the tractor loader backhoe", which has literally everything you might want to know about using a TLB (even a really small one). The answer for a larger unit is a combination of setting the bucket down spanning over the trench at an angle and then crabbing the rear end over the trench using the hoe. Unfortunately, with such a small unit both rear tires wind up very near the sides of the trench (not safe), and the bucket is only supported by (assuming a perfect trench) about 1.5 ft on either side. You _really_ want to imagine dirt closer to the hole than a 45deg slope as being unstable, so unless your digging a 1ft trench this maneuver is dangerous for a small tractor. I've done it by using several 2x12s as suggested above to spread out the load, and adding a couple more meant I didn't have to crab at all... I just covered a nice wide area and drove on it. But that's a fair amount of wood and so I usually go at it another way.

The way I usually wind up finishing is in the center (dug both ends going towards a spot in the middle), backed in (at a light angle) enough so that the backhoe pivot pin is hanging over the center of the trench. The slight angle is needed because the 260BH doesn't quite swing 90 degrees to either side so you need to come in at 75deg or so. I have a single long 2x12 that I place so that the rear tires are on it and it spans the trench (keeping those back tires better supported). Sometimes you won't be able to get that one last stabilizer down because it would hover over air, but if you dig gently you won't miss it with the other stabilizer down and the bucket grounded. Dig in-line with the trench and dump the spoils away from you on the other side. You can use a single 2x12 for that last stabilizer if needed to get your boom arm vertical.

Hope this helps,
Hunter

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
It's tough to do with these small machines. Dig from both sides, leave a couple of feet between the two ditches enough to get the one side tires through. When straddling the ditch always leave the outriggers down as far as possible without them dragging, just in case you drop into the ditch, the outriggers will save you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I got it done.
I left a space in between then dug from the sides, nearly pulled myself into the ditch once ,Dang roots! I let it get a little wide at the very end just curling out the dirt, figured "no worries" this thing has a 4' bucket on the other end, just push it back in.
I'll learn it sooner or later.looking to purchase the book on techniques, hopefully I learn enough to stay out of trouble and not just enough to get into no return kind of trouble.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sounds like you're on your way! I found that most of the digging power comes from the bucket curl. Try a little less with the down dipper stick and more on the curl. Finesse will come with experience. When I first got mine I was all over the place. I think you need more skill or finesse with a small bh like the 260 than you do with a full sized bh.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
well I got it done.

I'll learn it sooner or later.looking to purchase the book on techniques, hopefully I learn enough to stay out of trouble and not just enough to get into no return kind of trouble.
Sorta like when I started my long string of Jeep Purchases I was told: "The nice thing about 4-wheel drive, is that you can get stuck in places that others just dream about!" :lol: ~Scotty

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
Sorta like when I started my long string of Jeep Purchases I was told: "The nice thing about 4-wheel drive, is that you can get stuck in places that others just dream about!" :lol: ~Scotty
:lol:

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
Been there once,,,,,,twice......oh the fun getting out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts