Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Bobcat MT55, T62, E10, E42, Deere 4100, Z225
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently I haven’t been on here much since October 2017 so certainly a lot has changed. I’ve been fixing compact tractors as a hobby over the last couple years, had a number of Yanmars last year; one of which I never wanted to sell but the hot market at the time convinced me otherwise. Nonetheless I’ll start the story on this 4100.

I spotted this tractor at the New Holland dealership a few months ago in their back lot (visible from the road) and wondered if it was for sale or was just in their shop for repairs. After a few months it popped up as for sale on Facebook Marketplace with a super vague description (John Deere 4100, 5500 hrs). To some, the hours may suggest it’s at the end of its usable life but with optimism I decided to have a look at it anyways.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

Upon initial inspection everything looked good, fluids were all in order, no leaks, but it had no power to the electrical system. The salesman was convinced it needed jump started but that did nothing. After a solid 10 minutes of looking all over the tractor I found it had a battery cutoff switch hiding down by the exhaust. Flipped the switch and everything suddenly worked. Now that I’m feeling a bit dumb for overlooking something so simple I fired it up and continued my inspection. Hydrostat felt strong in both ranges, 4wd worked without noise, occasional haze in the exhaust but not enough to draw concern, and zero blowby from the crankcase.

Considering I have newer Bobcat equipment for the hard work I really only needed this tractor to maintain some brush around the property since the skidsteer and brushcat aren’t always around. So I made a deal and brought the 4100 home.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that the 4100 was home it was time to make it my own like I’ve done on numerous other tractors. I typically try to get thorough before and after pictures so here are some of my before pictures:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Personal luxury car Gas

Cosmetically I was convinced the hood was badly sun faded. I got out the buffer and quickly discovered it was actually primer grey from the original paint blowing off the hood in the past.

Hood Green Plant Motor vehicle Bumper

Now that I had a tractor, I needed a mower to make it useful. So about a week later a Frontier 2048 made its way home. The 4100 handled it great, certainly the perfect size for the tractor.

Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Asphalt

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Tree

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last weekend I began working on the hood, sanding off the primer and rust and respraying with John Deere touch up paint. Overall it came out well although the finish wasn’t glossy so I ended up shooting it with some clear coat to enhance the finished product.
Wheel Tire Green Hood Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Hood Rectangle Grass Plant

Yellow Rectangle Plant Automotive exterior Bumper

Flower Plant Green Leaf Motor vehicle

Green Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Motor vehicle

I also did things like changed the oil, got new headlight bulbs and a switch (previously missing), added the hazard lights, added the cruise control lever (previously missing), reversed the rear wheels for added stability, added an imatch hitch, and started gathering parts to make the loader valve usable. Still have more in the plans but this gets things up to speed on this project.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
1999 JD GT235 w/54" deck; 1999 JD 4100HST w/410 loader; 2014 Grasshopper 930D w/72" deck
150 Posts
Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the tractor?

A little bit of work, paint and missing parts ...and you could probably double your investment. But don't, the 4100 is a terrific rig. Nice work!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the tractor?

A little bit of work, paint and missing parts ...and you could probably double your investment. But don't, the 4100 is a terrific rig. Nice work!
Picked it up for $3500. It’s hard to determine it’s fate… I fixed up this Yanmar YM226D last year, made it everything I wanted it to be and decided one day to put a stupid high price on it. To my surprise, someone bought it. Couldn’t be too upset, didn’t need to sell it but I couldn’t say no to the price. Hopefully this 4100 sticks around, I like it about as much as I liked that Yanmar.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts