Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here from Nebraska. Purchased acreage in 1998 and made the mistake of getting a Craftsman rider...that lasted...wait for it...all of three years. Buddy suggested I quit buying the "throw away / disposable" riders and step up to a John Deere. Wife at the time (now Ex), didn't like idea of spending more than double the price of the Craftsman...but I convinced her and got a used low hour JD 445.

It was AWESOME and I loved it! Mowed 2 acres for the next four years. Then sadness as we moved to the city and a 1/4 acre lot in a sub-division. The 445 was sold.

Divorced the first wife, kept the house and custody of my wonderful daughters...and eventually married again.

Wife #2 and I have always shared the dream of country living...and last week we scored a great acreage just minutes from town. 2.5 acres, 40x30 steel building with concrete floor (but no power), and even an above ground pool (My yellow lab will likely spend more time in there than me).

I told the wife if we ever got back out of town, I would need to have a JD...she agreed. So the hunt was on.

I've always wanted to try diesel, and looked at 455's. But they all had 1,500+ hours, or were just flat out worn down. So started looking at X garden tractors. Didn't care for 4wheel steer, or 4wheel drive (I have two Polaris 550's if I want to ram around). Concentrated on the x495, x740 and x750.

Lots to choose from in Iowa and Illinois, but not much here in Nebraska. Searched and searched, and managed to find a pristine 2015 JD x750 with only 79 hours, 60" HC deck on craigslist. 2+ hour drive, and it followed me home on Saturday. Love it!

I'll post pictures here soon. First diesel, so I'm reading, and learning a lot. Hope to learn more here.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After you get more settled. Putting in power/water/gas to that other building isn't beyond possible. Then you have a place to besides store, but work on them, including vehicles.
Yep, I already have a plan for the shed/shop. Don't take possession until August 3rd...but I'm STOKED to be back in Green!

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations.

Wife two has a good head for tractor’s that last.
It took some discussion...

Most of my neighbors don't get it. They say "that's really big tractor..." I don't even go in to details. I just smile and say, "yes, yes it is...I don't think I will have any problems cutting grass..."

The one neighbor that gets it grew up on farm in Iowa, and spent his entire career selling farm implements. He's retired now and the BEST neighbor.

He knew exactly what the x750 was. His words to the wife, "you know, when you both pass away, your kids will be fighting to see who gets this tractor..."

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Congrats!! Great find. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Congrats. Welcome back to the country life. Seems like wife #2 is a keeper. We need pictures ASAP

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Welcome from New York! Congratulations on the new tractor and new property.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Congrats on the new house

Great deal on the JD . . . good used are impossible to find up here

·
Registered
588 Posts
Welcome from NEW HAMPSHIRE

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pictures just after I took delivery.

Note: The trailer is my wife's ex-husband's. They get a long well, he's very respectful and nice to me, loaning us this trailer often (we pulled ATV's to Moab, Utah last two years).

Pretty sure the blades have never been off this thing...

Did notice the coolant / radiator line is rubbing on a bolt. I'll need to replace that soon...

·
Registered
178 Posts
DaubsNU1,

CONGRATS on your "new" machine!

I'm sure that you will love the diesel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My wife is the one that’s signed the purchase contract for the 4044M (CUT). Enough said.

Always buy one step up than you think ? you will ever need and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats! Looks awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Finall took possession of the new acreage. And I mowed for the third time today. It was glorious!

It’s 2.6 acres total, so subtract for the house, shop, pool, etc. I got done in one hour and twenty minutes. Add on another 20 minutes for weed-eating (every other week). Not bad.

The x750 kicks ass! Love it! Burn less than 1/4 tank of fuel per mowing.

Hope this picture works...iPad is going a little wonky..

20180807_184036.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts