Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I was watching a TTWT video (Create Storage Area for Trash Can with Your Compact Tractor! - YouTube) and came across a comment (I'm assuming in reference to backdragging at the 6:42 mark).

"I would be careful about backing up with the dump cylinders extended like that. That is a good way to bend the cylinder rams"

I'm still new to FELs, I'm wondering if someone can point me to the right way to backdrag with the blade? Is it just using float?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,284 Posts
So do you have a blade on your loader arms then? If you have your dump cylinders extended your blade will be basically horizontal.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hey all,
I was watching a TTWT video (Create Storage Area for Trash Can with Your Compact Tractor! - YouTube) and came across a comment (I'm assuming in reference to backdragging at the 6:42 mark).

"I would be careful about backing up with the dump cylinders extended like that. That is a good way to bend the cylinder rams"

I'm still new to FELs, I'm wondering if someone can point me to the right way to backdrag with the blade? Is it just using float?

Thanks!
Hello Scooterman, I have run equipment most of my life and I went and watched the video you are referring too and there is nothing wrong with back dragging that brush the way Tim was. Basically all he was doing was pulling it closer to him so he could get a better chance of scooping it into the bucket. Now if he was trying to pull on a rock or something that was stuck and not moving and he was ripping and tearing on it and spinning the tires trying to force it out of the ground then yes, i would say he could have possibly torn something up. You will see in Tim's videos that he is careful in what he does and even when the wheels are off the ground he is still in control and isn't hurting his machine. These machines are tough and capable of doing alot of different tasks.

Now as far as backdragging. The float on these machines and others is generally used for back dragging loose material on uneven ground. Meaning there are holes you are trying to fill in or weird angles and the bucket will float over the ground staying level while the tractor is going up and down with the terrain.. You will find over time you will not use the float mode as most operators will feather the bucket while they are back dragging. Seat time and angling the bucket in all its postions will let u know what you can and can't do. Applying down pressure on the the bucket also determines how it will handle the material you are dragging. Sometimes you will have a little and sometimes you might have the front tires off the ground. Either way it it takes seat time and a little common sense and you'll get the hang of it!

Hope that helps... Good luck!
WB

·
Premium Member
13,044 Posts
This is another case where the operator's manual can be your friend. The H120/120R manuals contain the following information regarding back dragging.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all!

This is extremely helpful, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Not always, but, often, I will back drag my 1/4 mile driveway,, it takes four passes to do the driveway once, due to width,,,,

I kinda have a solution to back dragging correctly,,

the teeth on my bucket remind me to rotate the bucket,,,

If I back drag with the bucket rotated too far,, the bucket will cut ruts in the driveway,, instantly showing the bucket is rotated too steep,,,

So,, this is the PERFECT excuse to use to justify the purchase of that tooth bar you REALLY want anyways,,,, :bigthumb:

:lolol:

I have several attachments, blades, scrapers, etc,,, for the back of the tractor,, but,,
the down pressure of the bucket makes back dragging the best method under many conditions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’ve done plenty of back dragging in equipment, even with the wheels off the ground you won’t do any damage to the loader. With the bucket at a 90 degree angle never ever ever push that steep. Chances are you’ll bust or bend the cylinders. Not me but an internet photo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I do lots of back dragging with the bobcat at all angles, shallow to vertical and have never had an issue. I would never do that past the angle on a compact that is shown in the owners manual that jay posted. They difference in build and strength in both the cylinders and the arms on a skid loader is far stronger than a loader on a tractor.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
I back drag with the bucket in all different positions! 99.9% of the time is with the cutting edge on the bucket. Hardly ever with the tooth bar. I've done it this way for 8 years now.

No problems either.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I have also done a considerable amount of back-dragging with the 2038R's 220R Loader equipped with 57" HD bucket (tooth bar removed) and not had any problems. I do not have any concerns nor do I foresee making any changes to my "back-dragging" habit....

Sincerely

·
Registered
265 Posts
I could see how it would with significant force, but with the load he was putting on it I don't see the problem. I've pulled rocks around 500lbs by back dragging with no issues.

Reactions: PJR832
1 - 11 of 11 Posts