Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I have been reading posts on GTT since I decided to buy a SCUT earlier this year, and finally joined when my 1025 was delivered a couple of weeks ago. I want to maintain it properly so it lasts like my old 345 has. I have a couple of questions regarding greasing the backhoe that I haven't seen addressed in other forums yet. First, just out of curiosity, does anyone know why the grease recommendation for the backhoe would be different from the FEL. It seems like they have similar hydraulics and pivot points. Also, I'm going to take them off for the winter to install a snow blower and back blade. Unfortunately, until I build another garage, they will have to live outside at least this winter. Do I need to coat the exposed hydraulic cylinders with grease to prevent rusting? If so, what type?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,849 Posts
Welcome to GTT Livin' the Dream.
I have been using the same grease for both the FEL and the BH on our tractors for 26 years. Right or wrong, never had an issue.
I would spray the pistons with Fluid Film if it were me, even if it is stored indoors for the winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I just picked up a can of fluid film today and got an unsolicited testimonial from the guy next to me in the aisle. Sounds like just the stuff I need for the exposed hydraulic pistons and anything else that needs protecting.

Thanks again

Steve

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Here's what happens when one doesn't read the entire BH manual...

1 rust.jpg

...and follow the storage proceedure where it tells you to put "grease on the exposed pistons". IF the "Search" feature was working tonight I could point you to a thread from last Spring when I discovered the damage. I had the hoe totaly covered, but "tented" for ventilation. Cheap-o chrome on the pistons. The stabilizers were the only pistons affected by the rust even though the other pistons were under the same conditions. Just a cheap out shortcut in mfg... IMLTHO

In the forum thread there were several ideas on what to use and some of what not to use (reacting or damaging to seals, etc.), JD just sez "grease".

Just another case of "Didn't read through the entire manual..."

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
Search feature is working well: Got RU$T?

·
Super Moderator
8,158 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I just picked up a can of fluid film today and got an unsolicited testimonial from the guy next to me in the aisle. Sounds like just the stuff I need for the exposed hydraulic pistons and anything else that needs protecting.

Thanks again

Steve
I've been using Boeshield T9 to protect the exposed cylinder rods on my equipment for years. It's a tough aerosol protectant and lubricant that isn't greasy or sticky. It won't collect dirt and dust or make that kind of a mess. Good stuff and I swear by it: Boeshield T-9® | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication

Reactions: rgd

·
Premium Member
344 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,158 Posts
I usually purchase at Sears or online at Amazon.com

·
Registered
768 Posts
Should the excess spray from the Fluid Film and Boeshield products be lightly wiped off so that there isn't a lot of excess?

I recently applied fluid film and sprayed it on the exposed piston chrome/metal with the spray straw and more or less rubbed it all over the piston and then wiped off some of the excess so it wouldn't drip everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've used the Boeshield T9 product in my shop for table saw, drill press, band saw tops, etc. Great stuff. Never thought to use it on ram pistons. I'll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Search feature is working well: Got RU$T?
That's it, Kenny, thanks... I can't even remember my own thread titles!:laugh:

The ONLY results I was getting from the "search" were Google ads and nothing resulting from GTT no matter what subjects/search words I was searching. I hate computers!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Here is an interesting store where you can buy both of the recommended products and there is a lot of good information found here as well for removing rust from many different types of material. I found it to be good reading The Rust Store - Solutions for All Rust Problems

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 12 of 12 Posts