Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a 2015 1025R with the old style backhoe, and traded it for a 2018 with the redesigned backhoe last summer.

The backhoe cart that I built for the older model was a little shy, but the new backhoe just did fit. I took it off and stored it. Haven't used it once.

The caveat? I forgot to put the pin in when I pushed it into the garage. In addition, and in true Dummy fashion, I pushed the hoe into storage backwards, with the hydraulics facing the back of the garage.

The bucket hydraulics lost enough pressure over the last month that the bucket fell off the cart, and is comfortably resting on my garage floor.

I'm planning on using the FEL, or a winch, to pull it back up an onto the cart, then pin it and strap it.

Question: Can I remove the bottom hose from the mast cylinder, show in the attachment, and maneuver everything back into place with damaging anything? If I get the hose off, I plan on wrapping a plastic bag around it to catch some fluid.

Thank you. I know I ask questions, then disappear. I go and do the things you all suggest, which I appreciate....

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Administrator
17,254 Posts
Yes, your plan will work but has the potential of being VERY messy and a bit dangerous, so be carful!!

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Do you have a furniture dolly or a floor jack you can get under the bucket and roll the whole thing out, then hook up the power beyond?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could get either

Do you have a furniture dolly or a floor jack you can get under the bucket and roll the whole thing out, then hook up the power beyond?
I could bet another small dolly and lift the mast enough to get it onto the dolly, but I'm wondering if the hoe will push back enough when I winch it up to cause any damage.

?

Thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hazmat Suit?

Yes, your plan will work but has the potential of being VERY messy and a bit dangerous, so be carful!!
I guess the danger comes from the pressure in the fluid.
Wrap a rag, cross my fingers and let it rip with a wrench?

Thanks again, Ken. (Two tractor, two FEL's, two set of hooks.....)

·
Administrator
17,254 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I could bet another small dolly and lift the mast enough to get it onto the dolly, but I'm wondering if the hoe will push back enough when I winch it up to cause any damage.

?

Thank you.
I guess I don't understand, 'push back enough...."

Is the other end of the BH on the cart well enough that it will stay if you got a dolly or jack under the bucket? What about getting a piece of plywood or something slippery under the bucket and pull the BH backwards (if the BH will stay on the cart)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I'm Wondering

I guess I don't understand, 'push back enough...."

Is the other end of the BH on the cart well enough that it will stay if you got a dolly or jack under the bucket? What about getting a piece of plywood or something slippery under the bucket and pull the BH backwards (if the BH will stay on the cart)?
The rider end of the hoe is still holding strong. I get what you're saying. Make a ramp for the hoe to slide back onto the cart?

I know there is still a lot of pressure in the hydraulics on that hoe. I I try to jack it up, or raise it, without releasing the pressure, will I be compromising a seal somewhere in the hydraulics that is more expensive than a bag of kitty litter and a little bit of fluid to clean up the mess I'm getting ready to make?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most Times, Anymore, It Take Me Longer Thank You To Figure Something Out

I appreciate you all sticking with this.

I guess I am more foggy than I once was.

I sure do appreciate the input.

Todd

·
Administrator
17,254 Posts
I think what Lew was suggesting is to just raise the boom some with your loader and slide a wheeled jack or dolly under it so you can roll the whole thing out without disconnecting the hydro's.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Correct Kenny. Suggesting not trying to get the bucket back on the cart, but rather get wheels or a slippery surface under the bucket so the whole BH can be pulled out, leaving the hydro alone. Once out, hook up the tractor and get it back on the cart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get it now, kylew......

Thanks, kylew.....I'll try that this weekend.

Ramp it up, slide it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Can you get the tractor in next to the backhoe such that you can get the hydraulics hooked up temporarily? The hydraulics are the best way to lift and maneuver the backhoe. When doing scary operations, it's good to lower the stabilizers so that if anything starts to tip they can catch it. Before I figured out how to keep my FEL from leaking down on its cart, I had a similar problem. I was able to pull the tractor up next to the FEL and get the hydraulics connected, allowing me to get the FEL back into a condition that I could hook up to.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Correct Kenny. Suggesting not trying to get the bucket back on the cart, but rather get wheels or a slippery surface under the bucket so the whole BH can be pulled out, leaving the hydro alone. Once out, hook up the tractor and get it back on the cart.
I agree along these lines, or use a jack of some sort to pick up bucket and stick and slide it back into cart or put a furniture dolly under bucket.
Personally i would avoid cracking hydraulic line on garage floor unless no other option worked out.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
Question: Can I remove the bottom hose from the mast cylinder, show in the attachment, and maneuver everything back into place with damaging anything? If I get the hose off, I plan on wrapping a plastic bag around it to catch some fluid.

Thank you. I know I ask questions, then disappear. I go and do the things you all suggest, which I appreciate....
Hook the two hoses together that hook to the power beyond ports on the tractor.
Have someone operate the mast controls as you lift up on the dipper. The mast should move pretty easy.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
:unknown:jeepers first time i ever heard of this band---someone said in the comments they used to be on MTV--i never watched that channel yrs ago-so i guess thats why i heard of them before. nice cars and of course the wimmin too:mocking:

gmind--do u have any room on dolly at the rear to screw a piece of 2 by 4 down onto the dolly-that would keep the hoe from sliding on u-when attempting to jack the bucket up enough to slide a dolly under the bucket. just throwing it out there. good luck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree with what Kylew and KennyD said...

Get something slippery or with wheels under that bucket, so you can move the whole unit out to where you can work on it.

Taking it apart will not only be messy, possibly hazardous, and way more work than needed... but as was said above, you will be releasing control of one of the things keeping it from going further out of whack, or possibly making unpredictable shifts or moves.

And.. use the buddy system ... have a someone with you in case things dont go as planned.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts