Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I‘m considering picking up a narrow trencher bucket and a wider ditching/clean out bucket for some projects in the spring.

I’m leaning toward the 6” trencher from BXpanded and checked out Mudd’s Customs for the wide one. They’re out of the 20”; only have the 24” available. Not sure if that would be too wide.

Any thoughts or opinions on any of these BH buckets?

Thanks

Reactions: TheOtherChris

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
What backhoe do you have?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have Mudds 20 inch bucket and like it! The Bxpanded root ripper and trencher look nice too. Thread link

I called Mudds Customs a while back and ordered their 20 inch bucket with removable teeth, equivalent mucking bucket. After using, I can tell that their bucket cutting edge (vs flat wear plate on Deere bucket) enabled the bigger bucket to cut with ease. I was also told by Mudds that they change the pivot connection points and angle to enable the bucket to dig more efficiently. I really enjoyed quickly removing dirt.

Also, shocked at how quickly the order was processed, prepared for shipment, and shipped via ground transportation. Ordered Tue 10 AM and arrived by noon on Thurs (central IA to central IN).

·
Registered
46 Posts
My tractor came with a 9" backhoe bucket which is good for trenching. Since I have a lot of clay anything narrower would probably not work. It would fill with clay and never empty. Years ago I used a smaller bucket when digging hard gravel and it worked fine, but no clay. In my experience, the type of material you will dig is relevant. If you have to keep banging on the bucket to get it empty progress is slow and frustrating.

Last year I purchased a 16" bucket from Mudds and its great. Very well made and they were great to deal with. On top of that, they are located in my daughter's hometown so I picked it up myself to avoid shipping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
530 Posts
My BXpanded bucket should be here next week so I don't yet have a first hand opinion.

Hello,

I‘m considering picking up a narrow trencher bucket and a wider ditching/clean out bucket for some projects in the spring.

I’m leaning toward the 6” trencher from BXpanded and checked out Mudd’s Customs for the wide one. They’re out of the 20”; only have the 24” available. Not sure if that would be too wide.

Any thoughts or opinions on any of these BH buckets?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I have the BXpanded trenching bucket, their ripper claw, and their quick change system. I like all of them. If you don't have the ripper claw on your list, you'll want it eventually.

Keane

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes, my bucket arrived about a month ago.
Everything here is still frozen/covered with snow so I have not yet bothered to mount it.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
older post but...
I think bucket width is heavily dependent on soil type. In my area we have a lot of red clay, my 385A with a 18" bucket is a good setup for moving dirt, it is in my opinion, a very productive setup. If you have sandy or loamy types soils your backhoe may handle a 20" or 24" bucket. I can tell you from my construction experience that having too large of a bucket for the power of the backhoe makes operating very aggravating...

I don't have any experience with BX or Mudds but have heard excellent things about both companies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts