Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been shopping for a backhoe for my 4300 for a couple of months. Have looked at used and new and googled everything I could to try to make an educated decision.:dunno:

The used ones I found have been too far away to make it practical to buy. New ones are very expensive.
My use would be for putting in culverts, road ditches, trenching for water and power lines, and any holes that need to be dug.
Maybe used occasionally to get out stumps or large rocks. All in all, probably use the hoe 10 to twelve times a year once the initial remedial work was completed on culverts and ditching.

Have considered the pros and cons of going with a subframe mounted hoe versus a three point hoe and have read all the cautions associated with the three point type. I would prefer the subframe type, but price is an important consideration on an attachment that would cost more than half of the value of my tractor.

I already have a power beyond kit installed, so would not need a pto pump. I think I will have about 8.5 gpm available for the backhoe.

Just at a point of indecision right now. Need the hoe, but have information overload. Would really like to hear from some of the members that have already made this decision for a backhoe on this size tractor, and for the usage profile that is similar to mine. Oh, and I may not take your recommendation, but it will be appreciated.

So, my candidates are:
John Deere 485, with subframe kit. $10300.00
John Deere 375, with subframe kit. $8300.00
Wallenstein Gx720 with subframe. $9000.00
Everything Attachment/Ansung 3 point hitch type. $6000.00
Woodmax 7600 3 point hitch type. With hydraulic thumb. $5055.00
(this one only comes with the pto pump system)
Titan 7 foot three point hitch type, with hydraulic thumb $3699.00

Here's a sheet showing more info:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnl03sLZ0YsNaUmI98AQjgYGHIEtRK0b3iBYS1bCGCM

·
Super Moderator
7,889 Posts
You'll always be able to get parts for either the JD or the Wallenstein. I have a 485 on my 3320 and its a digging beast. The extra reach is always a benefit.

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Backhoe

For the price of the JD 485 I could buy a complete used TLB.:gizmo:

·
Administrator
17,131 Posts
It's a tough call for sure...but the scary part of the 3PH ones on these machines is that they have cast aluminum transmission cases that they mount to.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,750 Posts
Imaybail, How long do you plan on keeping your 4300? Tractor resale will be far better with one from JD if and when you sell the tractor.
I would not go with a 3PH unit.

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Backhoe

It's a tough call for sure...but the scary part of the 3PH ones on these machines is that they have cast aluminum transmission cases that they mount to.
Actually, the transmission case is iron. The axle housings are cast aluminum though. The three point links are mounted to the axle housings. The top link mount is iron too.

Looked at a JD model 47 that was for sale locally, and it mounted to heavy gauge steel plates that bolted on to the axle housings. The hoe was in bad shape or I would have bought it.

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imaybail, How long do you plan on keeping your 4300? Tractor resale will be far better with one from JD if and when you sell the tractor.
I would not go with a 3PH unit.
I plan on keeping this tractor for the foreseeable future.
True on resale of the tractor, but resale of the backhoe would be better with one that was "universal".

·
Administrator
17,131 Posts
Actually, the transmission case is iron.
Wow, I was pretty positive the older 4-series-like the newer 3-series where aluminum. Out of curiosity, have you checked it with a magnet?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,750 Posts
I plan on keeping this tractor for the foreseeable future.
True on resale of the tractor, but resale of the backhoe would be better with one that was "universal".
Also true, good point. :thumbup1gif:

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I was pretty positive the older 4-series-like the newer 3-series where aluminum. Out of curiosity, have you checked it with a magnet?
Yes, I have.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe the used TLB isn't a bad idea. I've got the 485 and it's a good unit but not all that quick. I also find it a bit of a pain to change out with other attachments due to having to drop the 3PH arms etc.

If I were choosing I'd be going for the 485 out of your list as you'll get the extra money back if you decide to sell again later.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was just having a bit of a read on the specs of the 4300 and you may find the 485 will operate pretty slowly with the flow rate you have stated. Mines got 12gpm and I find it's operation pretty slow as previously stated.

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are the flow requirements for the 485? The John Deere salesmen all seem to think it will work well with my machine's specs.

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kenny, here is a photo with a magnet on the transaxle case. It's right at the junction where the axle housings bolt up. ABB07881-E326-46AC-AC91-CFC3EC87E332.JPG

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Backhoe

I was contacted by a fellow with a new old stock (2014) Woods Groundbreaker backhoe he offered for sale. Pretty good price, but I will need to get the correct subframe for my tractor. Waiting on photos, but if I can get the subframe, I will probably go ahead and get it. It's a model BH70-X and it is John Deere green.:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
17,131 Posts

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
375 Backhoe

Thanks for the heads-up Kenny.
That one looks pretty good, but is over 800 miles from me and doesn't have the subframe kit I would need to install it to my tractor.

I have talked with a fellow in Virginia that has a new old stock Woods BH70-X for a fair pric. Hope to make a deal and get that one soon. I will still have to buy the Woods subframe, but I have gotten some quotes locally and shouldn't have any problem getting one.
The Woods hoe is similar in capabilities to the Deere 375 at a fraction of the price of a new one.

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
375 Backhoe

Thanks for the heads-up Kenny.
That one looks pretty good, but is over 800 miles from me and doesn't have the subframe kit I would need to install it to my tractor.

I have talked with a fellow in Virginia that has a new old stock Woods BH70-X for a fair price. Hope to make a deal and get that one soon. I will still have to buy the Woods subframe, but I have gotten some quotes locally and shouldn't have any problem getting one.
The Woods hoe is similar in capabilities to the Deere 375 at a fraction of the price of a new one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts