Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently helped my friend Brian with a drainage project. Always enjoy a chance to use the backhoe. I'm getting better with it.

This project had another twist. We wanted to put the drain right by the concrete slab, but after digging down, we found that when originally poured, the concrete had oozed out under the forms, leaving an annoying mess in the way of our drain.

So, Brian brought out his trusty air hammer/chisel. It solved the problem handily. I need to get me one of these!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
I loved the "It's not rocket science" statement. It's so true and all about practice. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Nice video. It never fails when working around concrete, you will probably end up hitting concrete flash. I have one of these Dewalt hammer drills. It can be set to just impact without turning and use a flat chisel in it. Sort of like a mini electric jack hammer. I have used it to chip large amounts of concrete flash and it is also a quality hammer drill.
7/8" Compact SDS Hammer Kit - D25260K | DEWALT

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts
Great video! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice video. It never fails when working around concrete, you will probably end up hitting concrete flash. I have one of these Dewalt hammer drills. It can be set to just impact without turning and use a flat chisel in it. Sort of like a mini electric jack hammer. I have used it to chip large amounts of concrete flash and it is also a quality hammer drill.
7/8" Compact SDS Hammer Kit - D25260K | DEWALT
I'll have to look into that hammer drill. I was impressed with how easily Brian's air hammer did the job.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I'll have to look into that hammer drill. I was impressed with how easily Brian's air hammer did the job.
I guess the only negative thing with these "full fledged" hammers drills is you have to use SDS shank bits.
There are a few different sized SDS shanks. Here is a youtube video that explains the differences between SDS shanks and another video that shows the SDS Max tools chipping concrete.
The smaller of the two is SDS Plus, the large is SDS Max. The Dewalt that I have uses SDS Plus. I also have a Bosch large hammer drill that uses SDS Max.

One thing for sure, if you have to drill or chip concrete, once you use these types of Rotary/hammer drills, you won't go back to the smaller hammer drills. I have both and never use the smaller hammer drill anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm9MGQ3ffvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogV817ESGk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts