Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a difficult reinstalling our backhoe today (took~1hr). Should it be blocked up when stored? Also, most convenient way to relieve Hydraulic pressure on leak down (hammer tap?). Just want to make sure we are safe and sound..

BTW, took out two old pine stumps in about two hrs.

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
Blocking is the safest thing to do for a variety of reasons, but it may not 100% cure the pressure in the hose issue - that can happen from temperature too.

A hammer blow can be dangerous because of the fluid escaping out, so be sure to cover with a heavy rag if using that method, two wrenches to loosen the coupler is a lot more controlled, but it takes longer.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
The male hose end on the backhoe, I cover the end with a heavy rag and push it against the frame. The male tractor end, I'll cover with rag and use a screwdriver butt end and push. I suppose you could use the face of a hammer but don't swing at it, only push. Or like Kenny said, use wrenches and a rag to loosen the connectors to relieve pressure. Pressure can build as the ambient temperature increases.

Blocking or a cart definitively will help hooking it back up, but it can be done if it's sitting on the ground. Before I got my cart I used a pallet...was better than nothing.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hello. There is a dolly you can build for your backhoe to sit on when you take it off. If you go up in the search box you can type in backhoe dolly or maybe just dolly and you can see all the ways to build it. My Dad and I did. Works like a charm. Using a rag and pushing in the male end is what I do when there is to much pressure in the lines if i leave them unhooked. I usually hook them together to keep them clean.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Hello. There is a dolly you can build for your backhoe to sit on when you take it off. If you go up in the search box you can type in backhoe dolly or maybe just dolly and you can see all the ways to build it. My Dad and I did. Works like a charm. Using a rag and pushing in the male end is what I do when there is to much pressure in the lines if i leave them unhooked. I usually hook them together to keep them clean.

Good luck!
^^This is the way to go , no leak down , its a cinch to move the BH to the tractor (As opposed to backing up the tractor to the BH) and its about $25... and the guideline for building one is so wide that I do not think that any of the ones members have built look the same...:cheers:

I have not had to relieve pressure on my BH for 4 or 5 years. It is much faster as well...3 min maybe?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts