Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
That log he was splitting seemed to pop so easily you could have split it with a small hand axe. Many logs I've split are WAY tougher to get through. Given the size of the ram on a MCUT backhoe (compared to a log splitter ram) and the fact that it is putting the force into an angular effort instead of straight on it would seem like the available force would be nothing like a real log splitter. But that's just me guessing. Control of the placement of the wedge would also be challenging as the pieces get smaller.

Rob

·
Premium Member
15,067 Posts
That log he was splitting seemed to pop so easily you could have split it with a small hand axe. Many logs I've split are WAY tougher to get through. Given the size of the ram on a MCUT backhoe (compared to a log splitter ram) and the fact that it is putting the force into an angular effort instead of straight on it would seem like the available force would be nothing like a real log splitter. But that's just me guessing. Control of the placement of the wedge would also be challenging as the pieces get smaller.

Rob
Like you I think my youngest grandson would have been able to split that log.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Like you I think my youngest grandson would have been able to split that log.
Yeah, but that would mean someone would have to pick up an ax. :laugh:

·
Administrator
18,525 Posts
I think a stye like this with a traditional ram would be much more useful:

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
I think a stye like this with a traditional ram would be much more useful:

:bigthumb: now that is one heck of a way to split ur wood-i've seen them on skid steers-but never on this type of machine.

now since i was buying such luxury item:lol: my's well just drop out the splitter-and then hook on the grapple-oh boy-could u believe having a small grapple to just load ur firewood onto ur trailer-haul it to the house-or outdoor furnace--then use ur elevator to run it into the wood shed. oh boy-life could really be good-with all them toys.:laugh: i mean equipment!:lol:

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
Both are interesting concepts. I will agree that the first log split like dried poplar. It sure seemed to split awful easy and there was no stringy wood in the center of the log like the pieces split by the Kubota excavator.

I just noticed that "Kubota" isn't in the dictionary on GTT.........What a coincidence....:lolol:

Another thing which may make a difference with the Kubota demonstration is that the mini excavator has two joints to articulate in the boom arm to make more precise positioning much easier. With just one center pivot in the Deere backhoe unit on the 1 Series, you might be operating the splitting function at a different angle on the log verses how the process appears to work on the Kubota.

It just appears that it might be more difficult to get the splitter "squared" to the log you are working so instead of being able to be directly above the log, you may end up at more like a 20 or 30 degree angle. Also, it might require you to move the tractor unit itself to be able to reach logs and work away from the pile you create when splitting wood. And moving the TLB or TILB is more of a process than moving the Kubota mini excavator......

In general, I think the idea is VERY GOOD.....I just think it needs a bit more consideration to the specific piece of equipment on which it will be utilized......

Reactions: Tomfive
1 - 7 of 7 Posts