Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a 3005 or a 3032. I like the 3032 the best, but the brochure doesnt list a backhoe as an attachment. Anyone know why??
I have access to a backhoe attch, but wouldnt use it maybe 3 or 4 times a yr. Hard to belive a 31hp tractor wouldnt run a hoe.....

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
It will run a hoe, they just don't offer one. Not sure of a company that does either...

They run ~$8k, only using it 3-4 times per year, you would be much better off to rent.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
So a Woods hoe wont hook up to the 3032? Its a friends backhoe, and I can use it whenever I want...
No, Woods doesn't make a subframe to fit a 3032e. Even if they did, I wouldn't think it would be interchangeable between multiple tractors.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This hoe hooks up to the 3pt hitch and runs off the pto shaft....theres no sub frame, its like hooking up a brushhog

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
This hoe hooks up to the 3pt hitch and runs off the pto shaft....theres no sub frame, its like hooking up a brushhog
That my friend is a recipe for breaking your tractor in half. JD (or any other tractor OEM) does not make 3PH backhoes for this very reason, they all us a subframe to spread the load evenly to the underside of the tractor.

WOULD your tractor run this 'hoe? Yes. Should you? No.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That my friend is a recipe for breaking your tractor in half. JD (or any other tractor OEM) does not make 3PH backhoes for this very reason, they all us a subframe to spread the load evenly to the underside of the tractor.

WOULD your tractor run this 'hoe? Yes. Should you? No.
Im new to the tlb world...im learning...

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Don't take Kenny wrong, he's just trying to tell you that 3 point hoes are bad for small tractors. The forces imparted on the hitch and transmission are huge when using one of these. I know JD will not warranty any tractor that has used one. I'd be willing to bet the other OEMs are the same.

Martian's right though. I'd rather rent a back hoe rather than possibly crack or worse, snap my tractor's rear end off. :thumbsdown:

Don't hesitate to ask any questions here. You're amongst friends and there are no dumb questions.:drinks:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I just realized you were new, my apologies for not welcoming you!
:wgtt:

I didn't realize it was a 3ph backhoe, but as mentioned by Kenny and DS they are terrible for any tractor, especially for one that size. Still, only using it 3-4 times a year, rent a mini ex.

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
Sorry if a came off a little harsh, that surly was not my intention. We are all learning, everyday, that is why we are here.

What machine does your friend operate this backhoe on?

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
I have seen a few larger tractors with 3PH BH's and smaller tractors as well. For the most part owners of these will all tell you how great they are, one look at a one that has been used and you'll say how can that be. In most cases hookup is a nightmare not to mention a hydraulic pump that uses the PTO for power. Most 3PH BH's I've seen the manufacture has cut back hydraulic pressure, I assume to keep tractor damage to a minimum. When we bought our 2320 I was also looking at the 3032, I think it was the 3032. I stopped looking when I found out no BH option. I say bad idea also.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome, and the info. I'm looking at a 3005, or a 3032. Limited budget, and these fit the budget. I do landscaping and would be using the tractor for mulch, topsoil, stone,and some bush hogging. I do plant trees at times, and thought the hoe would work. I have been renting a mini for the trees. but if I could save the rental fee, that would be more$$ in my pocket. The hoe is a smaller unit..maybe a 6' digging depth. He uses it on a older massy. Think its a mid 30's hp. Its not critical for me to be able to use a hoe on eather machine, just figured it would be handy....

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
Not sure on the 3005 or 3032 models, but an area to check is the transmission case, JD used cast aluminum on a lot of the small and mid framed machines. Take a magnet when shopping and check them out. If it's a small hoe, used carefully and you have a cast iron tranny then you will probably be OK.

You need to see if they have the ability to operate the PTO while your out of the seat as well, or you will have to bypass the seat switch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I talked to my dealer today, and he said what most of you have been sayin. It will run it, but dont do it. Dealer recomended getting the 3005 if a hoe is something I really need. Ill rent a mini for the few times a yr i'd need a backhoe..

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
I do plant trees at times, and thought the hoe would work. I have been renting a mini for the trees.
And another :wgtt::thumbup1gif:

Not sure what type/ size trees your planting, but there is another option. My neighbor just planted about 150 fruit trees. He used a PTO driven auger, aka a post hole digger. You can get various size bits for these, anywhere from 6" to 24"; maybe bigger. Something like that might work for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya, I thought about that. A auger would work for some of the trees and shrubs i plant, but some are 6" caliber trees with
root balls weighin in at over 700#. Need a big hole for those...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Wallenstein is now offering a subframe for their backhoes for the 3032e.
Looks like a rear hydraulic kit from JD about 800$
And the entry level hoe,subframe, seat around 7500$
This is considerably less on a new 3032e than a 3033r with 375 hoe.
Anyone go this route with a Wallenstein? If so, pitfalls? Reviews?
thx

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not sure on the 3005 or 3032 models, but an area to check is the transmission case, JD used cast aluminum on a lot of the small and mid framed machines. Take a magnet when shopping and check them out. If it's a small hoe, used carefully and you have a cast iron tranny then you will probably be OK.

You need to see if they have the ability to operate the PTO while your out of the seat as well, or you will have to bypass the seat switch.
Correct- the 3032E uses a cast aluminum rear case. That is probably why Deere never developed a backhoe for it.

The old Massey that your friend, mowin, uses, is all cast iron. While inferior in some ways, it is superior in others. As suggested, I would steer clear of using a 3 point mount backhoe on the 3032E. The 3005, which is a 790, has a cast iron rear end. While it is stronger, in my estimation, I still wouldn't put a backhoe on one. I have a 790, and while I love and respect my tractor, no way would I do that to it. You may find, though, one with a frame-mounted hoe- Deere sold them (I have a neighbor with a framed mounted hoe on a 790).
In addition, you will be using this tractor to make a living. You don't want to use it in a manner that will affect your livelihood in a negative way!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I talked to my dealer today, and he said what most of you have been sayin. It will run it, but dont do it. Dealer recomended getting the 3005 if a hoe is something I really need. Ill rent a mini for the few times a yr i'd need a backhoe..
Why not go for one of these? They should do exactly what you want.

Fork Frame Attachments

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
778 Posts
Correct- the 3032E uses a cast aluminum rear case. That is probably why Deere never developed a backhoe for it.

The old Massey that your friend, mowin, uses, is all cast iron. While inferior in some ways, it is superior in others. As suggested, I would steer clear of using a 3 point mount backhoe on the 3032E. The 3005, which is a 790, has a cast iron rear end. While it is stronger, in my estimation, I still wouldn't put a backhoe on one. I have a 790, and while I love and respect my tractor, no way would I do that to it. You may find, though, one with a frame-mounted hoe- Deere sold them (I have a neighbor with a framed mounted hoe on a 790).
In addition, you will be using this tractor to make a living. You don't want to use it in a manner that will affect your livelihood in a negative way!
The 3032 does have an Aluminum Trans. And the 3033r with the hydro trans has an Aluminum case and Deere offers the 375 hoe for it.
Not sure how this would be worse than my 2305 with Aluminum everything, 260 hoe, and lawn mower front tires?
Dealer told me that Woods also offers a subframe and hoe. And starting to see dealers selling the tractor and hoe as a package now.
Guess time will tell.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts