Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my fix for outrigger sag while sitting for extended time. The tag blocks the control to remind my dumb tail end to unlock the locks but it hinges up for operation... now I just have to remember to but the control block down when I am done using the backhoe

Attachments

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb: that be nice to have for my back hoe--if i would of listen to my wife the day i bought my 250 in 06--but i didn't back then, so..............i have no back hoe.:empathy::lol:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Great idea!
Simpler design than whats used on the 260B, but same function.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
That's just genius! Looks like something Kenny would come up with.:thumbup1gif:

I can see the name now, Ken's outrigger hooks:lolol:

Better call Ken OP and collaborate a plan. Awesome idea:bigthumb:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here is my fix for outrigger sag while sitting for extended time. The tag blocks the control to remind my dumb tail end to unlock the locks but it hinges up for operation... now I just have to remember to but the control block down when I am done using the backhoe
That is nice! I made a low tech one a few months ago from stuff in the scrap bin. Had a short piece of 2" wide, maybe 3/16" in flat bar. Cut in in half and bent each just past 90° and bolted them on a piece of 1/4" rusty chain. They hook in the ends of the stabilizer arms. I didn't know how well it would work, but the sag in the chain provides enough force to keep the stabilizers from leaking down. They can easily be removed by hand without raising the stabilizers. This works, but yours look way nicer. Now I need an old bike inner tube or something to put over the chain.

I also like your tag. I should do this, even if the chain is in plain sight.

IMG_0624-1024x1024.JPG

·
Registered
927 Posts
That's a great mod. I would buy that. Currently I am using a couple rubber bungee straps. Works fine, but looks sort of red neck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mod to the mod, I didn’t trust the pin simply resting in the notch so I cut and created a “detent” in the notch to help hold the pin in the notch.

Also while doing this mod, I drilled and tapped the outrigger pins and installed grease fittings. Now I can slow down some of the potential wear on those moving parts.
On the ole innerweb I found rubber caps to keep the dirt out of the grease fittings and put them on every grease fitting on the machine.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,497 Posts
We looked at integrating a stop/latch into our #260 Backhoe Steps last year, but one picture I saw bothered the heck out of me so we abandoned the idea-it was a bent stabilizer on a new 260B backhoe.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We looked at integrating a stop/latch into our #260 Backhoe Steps last year, but one picture I saw bothered the heck out of me so we abandoned the idea-it was a bent stabilizer on a new 260B backhoe.

Thought that thru... took a year of thought before I moved forward. What I realized was if my bracket broke before any real damage was done it would be fine... manufacturing a new bracket or pin would be easier and cheaper than a new outrigger. The old joke about being faster than the bear made me realize this... I didn’t need to stop the outrigger from moving under power if accidentally used, just needed somewhere for the energy to go that would be the cheapest.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Make it out of Delrin or some other type of high grade plastic that can hold the sag but will break if the user forgets to unlock the outrigger and actuates the hydraulic cylinder while locked. Easy to cut and cheap so customer could replace or buy multiple if thinking ahead

·
Registered
2,756 Posts

I agree with Kenny. Two bungees do the exact same thing.
I do admire the OP's design and fab up of his locks though.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
So do we know how that stabilizer got bent?
Since Ive tried to lower mine a couple times with the latches in place on the 2025, and nothing on mine is bent, it seems hard to believe that the cylinders alone could do that.
Its not like Deeres latches have any automatic release, and they are considerably stouter than the OPs setup.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was told one time “ I cant fix stupid, I can just diagnose it”
Things happen and try as you might you cant engineer for every senecio. People will find a way to break your design every time! , how easy and expensive will the repair be...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Mine is much the same

That is nice! I made a low tech one a few months ago from stuff in the scrap bin. Had a short piece of 2" wide, maybe 3/16" in flat bar. Cut in in half and bent each just past 90° and bolted them on a piece of 1/4" rusty chain. They hook in the ends of the stabilizer arms. I didn't know how well it would work, but the sag in the chain provides enough force to keep the stabilizers from leaking down. They can easily be removed by hand without raising the stabilizers. This works, but yours look way nicer. Now I need an old bike inner tube or something to put over the chain.

I also like your tag. I should do this, even if the chain is in plain sight.

View attachment 649190
Mine is much the same, only I used a length of 3/8" yellow poly rope. If I only undo one side and it gets under a wheel it doesn't do any damage, the rope just breaks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting discovery today, walked past the Deere today and noticed something. I recently installed outrigger locks to stop the infamous sag and noticed today that only 1 outrigger is resting against its stop pin but the other is free of the pin with no problem removing the catch. The other outrigger is tight on its pin. The machine has been sitting a week. I would have thought both outriggers would have dropped but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts