Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2320 with a 46 backhoe... great machine, we worked it hard over the last year on a home renovation... we are all moved in and now the landscaping work begins... I removed the hydro cylinder from a stabilizor because it was leaking... and brought it to the JD dealership for repair.

The question for this esteemed group... when the backhoe is mounted, do I have to bleed the hydro system at all? Or does the hydro fluid re-enter the cylinder and the air somehow bleeds out a valve of some sort... I have no clue how it works...

Thank you in advance... Andrew

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,053 Posts
I assume you are talking about after you reinstall the cylinder?
Just reinstall it, cycle it a couple times and you should be good to go. If it were me I'd cycle all the hydraulics on the BH.

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
Yes, like Giz wrote the hydraulics are self-bleeding so all you have to do is cycle the controls several times. Resealing a cylinder is really easy, why did you send it to the dealer?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,053 Posts
Yes, like Giz wrote the hydraulics are self-bleeding so all you have to do is cycle the controls several times. Resealing a cylinder is really easy, why did you send it to the dealer?
I had the same question. Maybe it's still under warranty?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
This brings up a question Ive thought on in the past. How does the air purge out?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,053 Posts
This brings up a question Ive thought on in the past. How does the air purge out?
I would assume the air goes back to the tank and escapes through the vent. Kennyd could probably confirm this.

Reactions: rgd

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I would assume the air goes back to the tank and escapes through the vent. Kennyd could probably confirm this.
Hydro oil eventually goes back to the sump, which is vented to atmosphere, just like your engine crankcase, then drawn near the bottom to the hydro pump(s).

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
Yes, it goes back to the tank. Air can also be pushed past the seals whereas hydro fluid cannot if they are in good shape.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow... thank you for the helpful replies... appreciate it...

I sent it to the JD dealer because I have no idea how to fix the seal... and the JD dealer is a few miles from work...

Thanks again,

Andrew

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't sound right, but JD dealer quoted a new cylinder @ $620... I would have guessed $100.

To repair it? $220.

Bummer... just FYI for all, and just to replace a leaky seal... have to buy the whole rebuild kit...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,053 Posts
Doesn't sound right, but JD dealer quoted a new cylinder @ $620... I would have guessed $100.

To repair it? $220.

Bummer... just FYI for all, and just to replace a leaky seal... have to buy the whole rebuild kit...
WOW! I think I would have fell over, on the spot. I kept rebuilt kits for my 650 on the shelf at home. I don't remeber them costing any where need that.

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
Wow, ship it to me and I'll fix it for the price of the parts!

So I am a little confused, did you get a new one or the old one re-sealed? Is it to late to try to do it yourself? We can walk you through it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,053 Posts
Could it be the rod, #5 was bent and they replaced it also?

MP32472________UN21JUL03.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rod is fine... basically what happened... I bought the tractor and backhoe used a year ago... it was 3 years old with about 90 hours on it... previous owner had 1/4 of an acre... little old lady driving to church kinda deal.

Anyway, there was rust on the metal ring that held a seal in place where the ram comes out of the cylinder... and despite the unit working fine, there would be oil leaking from that rusty seal...

I took the cylinder off... dropped it off at the JD dealer and asked them to fix the seal... no worries he said. A week went by and I finally got a call, that they had to order a rebuild kit... and the rest is history... it is ready for pickup, so I authorized it... live and learn...

I have to say this, I cannot believe the service we have gotten out of that tractor... it hasn't let us down not for a minute... it picked up & moved rocks for a 520 foot long stone wall (I didn't build it, I was the tractor driver), york raked about 2 acres of grass/field... moved at least 10 cords of wood in log form, mows the grass, and served as the yard machine during construction... moved most of the wood involved... we take good care of it...

So, my beer budget is affected, but I can't complain too much... at least that is how I am going to justify this cost...

Next time, I will check with this great group before I do anything stupid...; )

Thanks again guys... Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts