Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandma owns a 302-A or B not at home to look right now. It has been in my driveway for the past four years as a relative went to use it one day, which was fine, but from what I can gather blew some seals out of the cylinders that swing the hoe. It doesn't start, needs a new battery. She got an offer from a guy down the road for pretty much scrap price because the rest of the family doesn't like it. The question is, what would you say this machine is worth? I will attach pictures when I get home tonight. I am mechanically inclined enough to repair pretty much anything on it. I figure it would be a bonus for her because it will stay in the family but will officially be out of her hair. I just didn't want to pay for parts and spend the time to fix something I did not break and I do not own. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Although I'm not familiar with the 302 model, looking at it, Id say it's from the mid 60's. It's a solid looking machine, but due to age, not a high $$$ machine. I guesstimate about $3000, maybe $5000 tops. I like the fact that you want to keep it in the family, but again due to age be prepared to drop another $1000 or $2000 to get her back up and running...dependably!

Looking at that pic REALLY gets my shorts in a knot! Why do people curl the bucket and drop in on the ground? It exposes all the piston rods to rain and the bucket fills with water...promoting rust and skeeters! Same with front, raise slightly, point bucket downhill, and THEN lower to ground...grrr. Bob

·
Registered
761 Posts
dealing with family is always a minefield.....nothing is worth hard feelings either way......

so....to keep grandma from having hard feelings you would have to meet her expectations no matter how absurb they are.....and you have to protect yourself to the possibilitys of the costs of repair being more than the ultimate value of the machine..

free might be to high a price .....but its impossible to put a price on family dynamics...i wouldnt pay more than the price to haul it off for scrap because that might be its ultimate value. at least the "other guy" has established the base price for it and anything above that makes you a "good grandson"

those old backhoes are decent machines if kept up i had one 30yrs ago as a side backup machine and it did ok was relliable but hard starting

·
Registered
761 Posts
Looking at that pic REALLY gets my shorts in a knot! Why do people curl the bucket and drop in on the ground? It exposes all the piston rods to rain and the bucket fills with water...promoting rust and skeeters! Same with front, raise slightly, point bucket downhill, and THEN lower to ground...grrr. Bob

using one reqularly is the best method to prevent rust n skeeters...........very hard to pull a disabled one on a trailer with the bucket edge and teeth in ground ....but this one looks like it was parked and bled down over time including the stabilizers.... :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well the reason it's sitting so awkward is because a relative came down to take it one day and decided to try to pull both the hoe and the loader up at the same time immediatly after starting it. Needless to say the seal blew on the swing cylinders and proceeded to leak all the hydraulic oil out. Thus the machine settled the way it is. That was four years ago. I fixed several pieces of equipment that broke due to negligence from them including oil lines on an 8440 after they started it in freezing weather and threw the throttle up to full bore to speed out the driveway. So i decided not to fix this one unless it was sold to me. So yes it did settle. And sorry if it comes across like I have an attitude. I just don't like machinery being abused when it's easy to avoid.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good luck with the repairs if you decide to move forward with them. We just did this exact same thing to a Case 580k this past summer. It sat for almost 10 years and we brought it back to life. Very rewarding but also quite frustrating at times. I like the older machines because they aren't riddled with electronics. Much easier to work on. Hope you can turn it into something useable!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck with the repairs if you decide to move forward with them. We just did this exact same thing to a Case 580k this past summer. It sat for almost 10 years and we brought it back to life. Very rewarding but also quite frustrating at times. I like the older machines because they aren't riddled with electronics. Much easier to work on. Hope you can turn it into something useable!
Thank you. I feel the same about older stuff. The newest thing I have is my 2000 F-250. It has a 7.3 and that's all I ever want.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Truckfarmer, Attitude ??? I re-read this a few times and the only "attitude" I read was towards the people that broke equipment that did not belong to them and then walked away. To me, you're 110% correct!

I would think that's around a 10,000 pound machine, so scrap value would be around $1,000 to $1500 max. If you have a need...or want!...for a backhoe, offer $2000. It'll keep peace in the family, give grandma a few $$ out of the blue, and you'll have a good machine...hopefully after only a few repairs at your leisure. Bob

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
According to Tractordata JD 302A was built between '74-'81. I have no idea about value but if antifreeze has been neglected one could be looking at cavitated liners requiring an engine overhaul.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You can remove the swing ram hose and cap it to stop it from leaking. Repacking the ram might cost you a bunch, but getting one used would be cheaper most likely. if it can start, and the pump will raise the implements, its worth something. You might put new batteries on it, fix the leak, drain and replace the fuel and filters, and then move it to someplace to get the cobwebs out, or just sell it. Running equipment, no matter how rough is worth more than not running if you are looking to sell. Swing ram isn't debilitating if everything else works. Old girl probably just needs some TLC.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks for your help all of you. But as of this morning my lovely relatives convinced my grandma not to sell it to me and to send it to the guy down the road. Apparently I have "too much on my plate." Not really a call I like other people to make for me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
GRRR !! The first thing I'd do is tell your "loverly relatives" to mind their own business and NOT yours! I'd then put up signs, "No Trespassing Violators WILL be shot on site" And then there's the matter of storage fees. Since he's the new owner he's responsible for the last 4 years of storage at $100 a month...round off to an even $5,000 ! Bob

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GRRR !! The first thing I'd do is tell your "loverly relatives" to mind their own business and NOT yours! I'd then put up signs, "No Trespassing Violators WILL be shot on site" And then there's the matter of storage fees. Since he's the new owner he's responsible for the last 4 years of storage at $100 a month...round off to an even $5,000 ! Bob
Sounds good to me.

·
Premium Member
7,564 Posts
Well thanks for your help all of you. But as of this morning my lovely relatives convinced my grandma not to sell it to me and to send it to the guy down the road. Apparently I have "too much on my plate." Not really a call I like other people to make for me.
I would take some of my valuable time to personally go whip some butts.

Excellent Idea, and..... Legal.

You could probably claim the equipment as abandoned.

After all, who are you going to piss off.......except some butthead relatives.

·
Registered
761 Posts
im not one to stir up family squabbles......but

i like the idea of storage fees.....now owner can pickup as soon as storage fees are paid...obviously he will go back to grandma and want $ back......then back to square one..

just depends on how much of a family squabble you want to deal with .....in my family it would have been gifted to the holder

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
im not one to stir up family squabbles......but

i like the idea of storage fees.....now owner can pickup as soon as storage fees are paid...obviously he will go back to grandma and want $ back......then back to square one..

just depends on how much of a family squabble you want to deal with .....in my family it would have been gifted to the holder
That would make sense. My grandma and realtives we're told that they'd be able to use it whenever they needed it. I know for a fact that doesn't work in most cases. That's why I had to buy all my own equipment over the past two years to keep farming. Makes much more sense to make a deal with me, that's been the most honest of her family since my father and grandfather. I love my grandmother to pieces but a little more backbone to specific relatives would be good for her. I think the issue at play bigger than just this backhoe for me is that that this is a trend since my dad died. And I'm concerned that it will continue into the rest of the equipment and the property as well.

·
Registered
761 Posts
That would make sense. My grandma and realtives we're told that they'd be able to use it whenever they needed it. I know for a fact that doesn't work in most cases. That's why I had to buy all my own equipment over the past two years to keep farming. Makes much more sense to make a deal with me, that's been the most honest of her family since my father and grandfather. I love my grandmother to pieces but a little more backbone to specific relatives would be good for her. I think the issue at play bigger than just this backhoe for me is that that this is a trend since my dad died. And I'm concerned that it will continue into the rest of the equipment and the property as well.

100% understand the issue is bigger than the backhoe........good luck figuring out how to deal with family as small actions have long term responses....

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I quit using my abilities there after my dad passed. The specific people haven't ever liked me, the best I figure is they see me as a threat to their inheritance. My brother and I are supposed to receive my dad's 40 and thats all I'd like a shot at even if I have to pay for it. First and foremost I would have liked to seen that farm thrive for my grandma like it used to. Not to say I wouldn't like a first shot at buying parts of it out if she decided to sell out. I just don't like seeing all the hard work my grandpa and my dad put into it all go to hell in a hand basket.

·
Premium Member
7,564 Posts
I don't envy you at all.

Sounds like you're gonna have to figure out where you want the line drawn, and for what.

Inheritance. Brings out the greed in spades.

I was very young, but I remember what my Father went through with his "sisters". Never remember seeing them around unless there was something to be had......

My will is really simple. I'll leave you everything I came in the world with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts