Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that this may come under the category of dumb questions, but how are you guys that have snowblowers on your 3 pt. hitches doing all that backing up? I put a 2" receiver on the top of my bucket and a trailer hitch in it to move trailers around the property. Backing up with a trailer on the bucket (The backhoe or post hole auger is on the rear) is a lesson in contortions. Is there some way of backing up, an after market lever or something that makes it easier. Mirrors would only get broken going between the trees here. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If your saying what I think you are:

trailer hooked to Bucket on FEL?

You gotta think way ahead of the turn..Its weird. You'll end up fouled the first few times.

I tow trailers daily for work and do some of my best work in reverse...Its strange when I have no trailer and tend to turn the wrong way out of habbit in reverse:banghead:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I find that I can turn 1/4 of the way to the right and comfortably sit sideways on the seat, both feet on the right side of the station, and working the reverse pedal with my left foot.

A steering wheel spinner is a must-have.

I also do have a 2" receiver on my fork frame, and moving trailers around with it can be a humbling task. Practice, practice, practice. It's even harder when I use the ball on the end of one of the forks, due to the longer moment arm.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find that I can turn 1/4 of the way to the right and comfortably sit sideways on the seat, both feet on the right side of the station, and working the reverse pedal with my left foot.

A steering wheel spinner is a must-have.

I also do have a 2" receiver on my fork frame, and moving trailers around with it can be a humbling task. Practice, practice, practice. It's even harder when I use the ball on the end of one of the forks, due to the longer moment arm.
I'll give both of those suggestions a try, thanks

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
If your saying what I think you are:

trailer hooked to Bucket on FEL?

You gotta think way ahead of the turn..Its weird. You'll end up fouled the first few times.

I tow trailers daily for work and do some of my best work in reverse...Its strange when I have no trailer and tend to turn the wrong way out of habbit in reverse:banghead:
So true!

Even without a trailer - I can’t park my pickup in a parking space worth a darn going forward - need my mirrors to get it right.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I get your question is partly about backing up in general. However, you were talking about a trailer on the front of the tractor, why are you backing up? I have a front hitch for my X585 and I push tractors around the property all the time. The only reason I back up with a trailer on the front is when I am initially pulling it away from the fence line where I park most of them. Once clear of the fence line, I push them (me going forward and the trailer backwards) to where I am going. It is so much easier in terms of not only not trying to look behind you all the time and sitting in an odd position as well as being able to see what the trailer is doing. With a little practice, it is very easy to control the trailer even if covering quite a large distance. The trailer doesn't care if it is going forward or backwards.

:munch:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the scenario. I had a tree company in to remove a couple of trees here on the Ponderosa at either end of my 'driveway' about 800 feet apart. It was close quarters to move the tow-able cherry picker they were using with their 2-ton truck so I used the tractor with the trailer hitch on the FEL to move it around. I pulled it around in reverse, and found it fairly difficult because I'm 6'3" and a little overweight. In most cases I do push the trailers around but in this case there wasn't enough room to turn it around so I just pulled it. In case I found a rear mounted snow blower at a reasonable price, I thought that I would first look into how other people were coping with driving these tractors in reverse for long periods.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think I get it. But the way I see it, the looking backwards is only half of it: a rear mounted mower (I have) is like a (floppy) loader on the rear..BUT a trailer towed from the bucket, add in a semi--that STEERS from the dualies!!! I mow backwards frequently (despite the instructions in the mower manual, not a grass-nazi and its faster) but that seems easier then the nose-tow!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry, my wife says that I don't communicate well. I wanted to know how other 1025r owners were operating their tractors in reverse when using a rear mounted snowblower. I find it very difficult to stay turned around in the seat and keep the reverse pedal down for extended periods of time.
I understand how a smaller person could sit 1/4 turn and operate in reverse, but that isn't an option for me. I'm too tall, and I have a bad left knee/hip.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
That is a big part of why they also make a front mounted blower.

Like everything, there are compromises. Rear mounted blowers are much cheaper so that is a pro, however they are not as easy to use. Front blowers are much easier to use but there comes a premium for them. Have you noticed on much larger machines that sometimes the seat will pivot so you sit at an angle? That is so the farmer can better see what is going on behind them.

I am considering getting a rear blower if I end up moving up to the 3025E. It would be my only option because the E machines don't have a mid PTO so rear blower is the only option. I don't think that this will be much of an issue. I have a front blower with my X585 but I rarely use it. With a bigger machine, I would imagine I would use it even less to justify a front blower should I go with a 2025R or some other machine. For how much they want for them, to have it just sitting collecting dust would be a shame. Where I use my blower the most is to clear snow that has slid off my pole barn from the side to help cut down on snow melt that can make its way under the wall. This is a pass or two for 50' or so. Again the cost of the front blower for that is a bit much.

I know this doesn't really answer your question as to if there is some trick to doing this but I don't know that there is a great answer. Maybe mount some form of bracket so you can add a mirror on the ROPS. Other than that there isn't much that can be done to make it easier.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I had to read through a couple times.

Good news is your not alone.

Running in reverse operating any implement is uncomfortable.

After a day of brush/bush/hogging...my back is toasted..Being in a turned position and bounceing around a few hours just is not good.
Rear mounted snow blower....If someone gave me one I 'd probly try it. Will I ever shell out actual real dollars for one....
NEVER

To get back to the trailer with the front end loader.

To drive forward and move trailers takes a bunch of getting used to.

Driving backwards ...worse..You have to plan the turn for the tractor and think
about the swing of bucket....and perhaps the xtra width of whatever trailer.
Add in hills ,trees ,or whatever its a challenge.

These tractors should have a swivel seat of sorts buts theres just not room...Hand controls ..HMMM

The beauty of hooking a tariler to the Bucket is...Having the quick response of the front wheels to keep it straight and pointing your body forwards= normal....add in trees and obsticals..its more of a challenge.

Ditch the FEL and put a hitch on the front of tractor...it will be halfway better/easier.......

·
Registered
82 Posts
I get your question is partly about backing up in general. However, you were talking about a trailer on the front of the tractor, why are you backing up? I have a front hitch for my X585 and I push tractors around the property all the time. The only reason I back up with a trailer on the front is when I am initially pulling it away from the fence line where I park most of them. Once clear of the fence line, I push them (me going forward and the trailer backwards) to where I am going. It is so much easier in terms of not only not trying to look behind you all the time and sitting in an odd position as well as being able to see what the trailer is doing. With a little practice, it is very easy to control the trailer even if covering quite a large distance. The trailer doesn't care if it is going forward or backwards.

:munch:
I agree 110%:bigthumb:

I also take the bucket off and use an attachment from Titan ....it works great and I wouldn't be without it.

HD Receiver Trailer Hitch Fits John Deere 200 300 400 500 tractor loaders towing

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Farmer back

I had to read through a couple times.

Good news is your not alone.

Running in reverse operating any implement is uncomfortable.

After a day of brush/bush/hogging...my back is toasted..Being in a turned position and bounceing around a few hours just is not good.
Rear mounted snow blower....If someone gave me one I 'd probly try it. Will I ever shell out actual real dollars for one....
NEVER

To get back to the trailer with the front end loader.

To drive forward and move trailers takes a bunch of getting used to.

Driving backwards ...worse..You have to plan the turn for the tractor and think
about the swing of bucket....and perhaps the xtra width of whatever trailer.
Add in hills ,trees ,or whatever its a challenge.

These tractors should have a swivel seat of sorts buts theres just not room...Hand controls ..HMMM

The beauty of hooking a tariler to the Bucket is...Having the quick response of the front wheels to keep it straight and pointing your body forwards= normal....add in trees and obsticals..its more of a challenge.

Ditch the FEL and put a hitch on the front of tractor...it will be halfway better/easier.......
While baling hay on Friday I noticed that I can turn/twist and look over my right shoulder fine, left shoulder not so well. I think it's from years of running equipment and looking right so my right hand stays on the hydraulic controls. That's on mostly full size tractors but baling hay, working with a rear blade etc. still gives my hip and right leg a pain at the end of the day. Frankly, I doubt I could run a CUT all day if I was looking backward.

My Dad gave me a useful tip when I was learning to back a 4 wheel wagon. After watching me twisting and turning all over the place trying to back the wagon to a hay elevator, he quietly told me to watch the wagon tongue. Great advice and while a trailer is much easier to back than a wagon, being able to concentrate on one simple thing makes the job easier. If you want a real challenge, try packing two 4 wheel wagons with one hitched behind the other. I doubt I could do it now but it can be done as long as you try to keep the angles to a minimum needed to get where you are going. Two wagons with hay stacked high is stupid hard because you can't see the back wagon until it moves out of line. . . :banghead:

I hate to say it but if you're a big guy and it's a small tractor, things aren't going to be easy. That's one point for sitting on and operating a piece of equipment before you buy but at this point, it's what it is.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
When I bought the tractor it had the backhoe on it and I wasn't thinking that I might want to put anything on the 3pt that would require a lot of reversing. Thanks to all who answered the thread. I guess that if the opportunity comes up for a rear mounted snowblower, I'll let it pass...........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts