Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything on the property is on a slope. It all goes to the ponds.

Through the backyard was an eroding ditch.

My first goal was to fix the ditch. Tired of the dirt ending up in the pond.

Next I realized the path along side the ditch that I was using with the tractor & gator was starting to erode.

So now I am working on cleaning up the ditch and making it usable as a tractor/gator road at the same time.

Thanks to the time & dry enough weather I got a pretty good start.

Before:

20171105_065121.jpg

After some time playing with the backhoe and 15,000# of rock:

20190518_170629.jpg

Still some spots to tidy up. Waiting on a good rain to tell me if I'm on the right track.

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mucked the Pond

Dug out some more of the back yard that has washed into the pond.

I'll let it dry for a few days and then scoop it up with the FEL and move it to the lower spots.

Once it is dry I'll spread it with the box blade.

20190520_191536.jpg

20190520_200206.jpg

Eventually I'll rent and excavator with a little more reach.

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used some rip rap for the bad spots.

The rest is #3.

The average appears to fall in the 2 to 3 inch size.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
That looks really good! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
it does indeed appear u have been busy since u last showed us pics of around the pond. i think it looks great how u cleared the underbrush out. :good2:

·
Premium Member
14,083 Posts
Nice job with the stone, that should help.

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what it looked like in a rain storm. This was October 2017

20171008_111740.jpg

it does indeed appear u have been busy since u last showed us pics of around the pond. i think it looks great how u cleared the underbrush out. :good2:
This is the lower pond bank.

Before, April 2017

20170415_124939.jpg

Now, May 2019

20190515_075026.jpg

·
Registered
3,783 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Looks much better with that junk tractor removed. :laugh:
I wouldn't say "junk tractor", but the color almost blinded me. :lolol:

·
Registered
814 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
be sure and update how that stone holds up and works ......i am always fixing washed out spots....... changed the paint on the tractor i see (better/worse/same??):greentractorride::laugh:
I had the Kubota B3200 when we moved here / bought the place.

Shortly afterwards I decided a backhoe would be really useful and went shopping.

Unlike in Tennessee the Deere dealer didn't blow me off like a cheap shirt. The 375A backhoe really helped make the sale though, very easy to attach/detach.

I can't really compare the two tractors. The B was more like a 2/E series. The JD is a 3R.

I really have no complaints about either tractor.

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well we just got the first really good rain to test the ditch project.

Ground was fairly dry and the storm started pretty heavy which usually leads to a lot of run of fast.

It really takes a good slow soaking rain for anything here to benefit from it. With the hill slopes too much to fast just runs off.

20190529_102751.jpg

20190529_102805.jpg

With the rain it was hard to get the phone to focus so the pictures aren't that good.

Looks like it is doing better than before. :good2:

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Disregard the comment about doing better than before.

:banghead:

Once we got to the torrential part of the storm.....

Washed it out like styrofoam peanuts.

Even ate out some of the rip-rap.

Back to the drawing board.

Why do I feel like Wiley Coyote when I say that.....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Disregard the comment about doing better than before.

:banghead:

Once we got to the torrential part of the storm.....

Washed it out like styrofoam peanuts.

Even ate out some of the rip-rap.

Back to the drawing board.

Why do I feel like Wiley Coyote when I say that.....

Is there a culvert or something upstream thats feeding it that much water so fast or whats really going on there?

What sort of overrflow set up do you have @ the pond to keep it from washing out??

I lost one side of my pond the first year as we had one of those 100 yr flood incidents within a week of digging it.

Mine is in a valley more or less and steep sloped all above it for 1/4 mile at least. Diverted most of the water away up by the house ( ponds is way down in the field 600' or so) This leaves a much smaller watershed area that actually gets to the pond. It was quite a project to rebuild the dam and with the poor dirt that was left to work with....Its not holding water like it did. Iritateing ...I'll likely have to line it to restore it to a larger size:gizmo:

·
Registered
814 Posts
i have had luck with wash areas like yours with a deep rooted grass like fescue...and letting it stay fairly tall so it lays down during a heavy wash...

but grass will not grow good in some areas.

i have used rough placed concrete but even then it can be like the OROVILLE dam spillway on a small scale

not much of a way to slow the water down in your situation

keep us posted if you find a cure (i feel your pain)

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there a culvert or something upstream thats feeding it that much water so fast or whats really going on there?

Everything for about 270 degrees drains to this point.

House & backyard slope toward it.

Yard on the other side slopes to it.

Neighbor's yard slopes to it.

A mid point is the area by the barn with three slopes of runoff coming from there.

From the high point it is about 40' of elevation drop.

The rock part of the ditch is about 75 yards long.

What sort of overrflow set up do you have @ the pond to keep it from washing out??

There is a spillway/dam at the other end of the pond. That also needs re-built.

I ripped out the collection of crap the previous owner used after I dug through what the beavers built. Widened it a bit and have a good bit lined in large rip-rap.

I have a temporary concrete block dam built.

I have lowered the pond level and it will hold a bit more now.

The pond also gets water from the slopes to the north and east.....

I lost one side of my pond the first year as we had one of those 100 yr flood incidents within a week of digging it.

Mine is in a valley more or less and steep sloped all above it for 1/4 mile at least. Diverted most of the water away up by the house ( ponds is way down in the field 600' or so) This leaves a much smaller watershed area that actually gets to the pond. It was quite a project to rebuild the dam and with the poor dirt that was left to work with....Its not holding water like it did. Iritateing ...I'll likely have to line it to restore it to a larger size:gizmo:
The "dirt" here isn't much. I think the area was mined a long time ago.

Any good soil we get drys up and then in a downpour like we just got, it washes away.

Near the pond I dug out a wide swail and lined it with rip-rap. I laid the rock by hand like you would bricks. It is doing well but that area is also flatter....

I guess I am going to have to do the same for the rest of it.

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have had luck with wash areas like yours with a deep rooted grass like fescue...and letting it stay fairly tall so it lays down during a heavy wash...

but grass will not grow good in some areas.

i have used rough placed concrete but even then it can be like the OROVILLE dam spillway on a small scale

not much of a way to slow the water down in your situation

keep us posted if you find a cure (i feel your pain)
It is a dual problem. Volume and speed.

We never seem to get a normal rain anymore. It is always a downpour.

I wish I could divert some of the water away but this is just a natural valley with several collection points along the way.

To start with I guess I am gonna have to widen it by several more feet to spread out the volume.

I may try some rock pits as well. Kinda like a gabian basket, just in the ground.

At the top end I may try some of the honeycomb matting to hold stuff in place.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts