Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The image below is what the Firepit should look like when complete.

This will be a wood-burning Firepit. The interior bottom will be filled with a mixture of small stone and sand. I'll install firebrick to the inner walls. Black pipe will be run to it, in-case we want to convert it to Natural Gas in the future.
There will also be a air-feed vent on one side.

I ordered the items needed from Lowe's and picked them up this morning.

Yesterday, I measured and flagged the area where the firepit will be located. Notice that the Scott Weed and Feed is working at killing the bad grass and feeding the good grass. The brown spot in front of the swing is where I assembled the portable shed when we first moved here.

A 60" bench will be built near the wood fence.

Once the firepit is complete, an area will be formed and a concrete pad will be poured around it. (y)

Below is a rough sketch of the area.

If the rain holds off, I may begin this evening. :unsure:

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
I’ll follow along, framing the scene is important, but I don’t think a fire pit made me smile like when my gf brought home a 30” JD rim. The yellow is burned off, and i can’t share this thread without risk of having to build a duplicate.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
The fire-pit at our last place was a 36” tractor rim. It didn’t win a beauty contest, but it worked great for many years.
That they do. It’s not hard to add grilling surface options either. I’m probably red neck enough I prefer a ‘rustic’ pit, I get confused when beer in a glass becomes the black sheep.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Looks like a neat project, I’ll be following along.
We have an old tractor rim with a trailer jack welded to the side supporting a grated cooking surface and an elevated shelf above part of it. It was made by my father in law and used at their campground for many years. It’s found a new home at our house. It has retaining wall blocks stacked around it to hide the rusty rim. Hoping to add a grain bin roof gazebo nearby later this year if all works out.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Looks good! My last fire pit I just drove my truck back in the woods and found some rocks. Took the biggest ones I could lift home. Put them in a circle and that was that.

Old rims work great too!
Reading the first half of that comment I was expecting your truck to become the fire pit.

I’ve seen trucks , boats, campers, golf carts and 4-wheelers go into the fire pit at the Oxford 250, all the trucks and most of the 4–wheelers came out the other side. We don’t need to discuss tents that may or may not have been run over in the process. I wasn’t involved and nobody appeared to need medical attention.

Back to the flyweight show?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I had the boys dig a hole and we put rocks around it. Then I bought a backhoe. 🤣

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nice looking fire pit. My concern with this type of pit or any "permanent" pit is "how do you clean the ashes and how easy to remove?". I use a couple old truck rims (20" and 22") stacked. When I want to clean out the ashes, just remove rims, remove the ashes, and put the rims back. As was mentioned not the best looking but very functional.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nice. Good looking property. I guess you have no drainage issues on you land. I had to put in a drain for mine but I have clay. It still gets pretty full with a hard rain but drains quickly. Blue line shows where I ran drain line.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Not only a place for water to get out but they double for a place for air to get in.

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
I don’t think you’ll find any laborers at Lowe’s. Might wanna rethink your order and go with Home Depot

Nice layout. Looking at something like this for my new patio I’m planning

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I built this one about 15+ years ago. We have a fair amount of trees and with that, limbs from storms and always a lot of sticks. So I wanted something large enough I could burn brush in. Cooking over it wasn't a concern, as we have a natural gas grille mounted on a slab a few feet away. I have had some pretty large and hot fires in it--we burned most of the beach house remodel demo in it. That probably sped up the cracking of some of the blocks. If you're, as you say, lining yours with firebrick, that should hopefully alleviate any issue with that.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
farmer52,
If I can't find the size I need, I plan to build a small steel door to use as a clean-out.

Xesike,
I have a section of 4" galvanized pipe to use as a drain. It will run from under the stone/sand bottom to beyond the wood fence.

BTW, I plane to make a cover for when the firepit is not in use.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
We had one built with exterior of limestone to match the house a decade ago. Looked real nice, but could never decide what to use as a base in the center. Now there's a couple of darn 20'+ chinaberries growing in it and causing the walls to crack. Hubby said for years that he was going to cut them, but guess it'll be up to me sometime. Then we'll have to get a mason to repair it. Wonder if we ever will use it... :LOL:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dianne, I have personally seen your firepit, or what used to be your firepit. It's a nice planter now. (y)
I'd leave it as it is and build another in a different location.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts