Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Very Unpredictable Disposition
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

I could not find the 4” galvanized pipe. It must have gotten lost in the move. I did have a few sections of 2” galvanized pipe. I picked this up a few years ago thinking it was black pipe. Apparently someone painted it.
One joint was long enough to reach past the wood fence.

I dug a small pit at the mouth of the pipe to fill with small stones (gravel).

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Following the instruction of the post I found on this firepit, I didn't trust the pads-over-sand for a descent foundation. I removed the concrete pads and began building a form to pour a concrete 10" wide chain-wall. It should be plenty support for the 8" wide blocks.

The pads-on-sand might have worked, but I just don't trust it. The way I look at it, if I'm going to spend the time and $$ on this project, it needs to be done right and last a long time.

Wouldn't you know it, I ran out of 2x4s at Beer:30, so no time to drive to the lumber-yard for more wood.

I'll pick up a few 2x4s tomorrow and finish the form. Once it's complete, I'll remove the sand and pour concrete down to the original soil for good stability. I may even run a single section of rebar in the chain-wall.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Do you have a trick to getting the inner forms apart without being able to access the fasteners holding them together? It looks like there are screws/nails that will be on the concrete side? In the past I had to cut my first form apart when I didn't think about it, now I've resorted to a corner bracket/brace attached on the inside of the form.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
I’d definitely reinforce it with a couple bars. One on the outside and one in connected with cross bars every 2’ or so. You went from blocks on sand to one solid ring on sand. It can still shift and the fire could crack it. Might wanna think about some compacted fractured gravel under it. I still wouldn’t trust that sand

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,542 Posts
Do you have a trick to getting the inner forms apart without being able to access the fasteners holding them together?
I'm thinking they will burn out.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,542 Posts
Following the instruction of the post I found on this firepit, I didn't trust the pads-over-sand for a descent foundation. I removed the concrete pads and began building a form to pour a concrete 10" wide chain-wall. It should be plenty support for the 8" wide blocks.
The pads-on-sand might have worked, but I just don't trust it. The way I look at it, if I'm going to spend the time and $$ on this project, it needs to be done right and last a long time.
Better. (y)

Reactions: flyweight

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
If you are going to go with concrete and forms I'd ditch the sand and dig down 5" or so in the dirt. Then you don't have to worry about it shifting.

Reactions: flyweight and Kbar

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Where’d ya go Mike?
He’s Probly blacked out with a shovel in one hand and an empty Lite beer can in the other laying in the corner of his yard dreaming of strangers framing his shop all wrong. Poor guy.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I completed the form and went on to other work needed around the place. I did plan to pick up a few bags of ready-mix, but Bubba showed up and we began to BS and consume beverages until almost dark:30. Needless to say, nothing took place after that.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I completed the foundation today. The gas feed pipe is also set in the concrete.

I will wreck(dismantled) the form when I get a chance and then begin to mortar the cinder blocks in place, some day.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Looking good 👍

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
You guys have fancy schmancy fire pits! Being a boy scout when I was growing up, all we used, as I see was already mentioned, was a nice ring of big rocks.. Everyone around here uses rocks! We don't have that kind of money! Glacial till is free and everywhere!!
Problem was; even though it was around 70 feet from the house, all the smoke would permeate the house in the summer months.. That put an end to the fire pit as Mrs. TJ1 had had enough! Don't bother anymore. Good luck Mike.. and don't drink that Beer.... Unless you want the trots! ;)

21 - 40 of 73 Posts